Hi all,

When I touch and hold a link in the bar, I eventually get the blue box of happiness that gives me the options to "copy" "paste" "select all" etc., but never "copy link" or "copy link in new tab". What am I missing?

Thx
    11-30-12 12:09 PM
    You need to have the Fonzi touch.
    Attached Thumbnails Copy and paste links --- difficult-img_00000146.jpg  
    11-30-12 12:52 PM
    "copy" should work as "copy link" Have you tried? If you want "copy link in new tab" I think you'd have to "copy" and then open a new tab and paste it in there.
    11-30-12 12:54 PM
    I thought the OP was talking about copying the link in the "bar" at the top (the "http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-tab..." in your picture)
    11-30-12 12:55 PM
    I thought the OP was talking about copying the link in the "bar" at the top (the "http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-tab..." in your picture)
    If that's what he's talking about, then that's not really a link- it's a web address. He should then do as you said in your first post.
    11-30-12 12:58 PM
    Im quite fed up with copy/paste and text selection/cursor placement. When you want to move the cursor within a word you try and drag the blue arrow thing and instead of it moving , the "cancel selection" etc options come up. Often i delete a whole word and retype it instead of trying to get the cursor in the right place and correct, often less time. No i am not holding down on it.sometimes you drag it but cursor doesnt move. Etc
    FF22 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    11-30-12 01:31 PM
    Im quite fed up with copy/paste and text selection/cursor placement. When you want to move the cursor within a word you try and drag the blue arrow thing and instead of it moving , the "cancel selection" etc options come up. Often i delete a whole word and retype it instead of trying to get the cursor in the right place and correct, often less time. No i am not holding down on it.sometimes you drag it but cursor doesnt move. Etc
    That is surely not one of the PlayBook's strenghts... It's one of the things I hope to see fixed for good in BB10.

As for the OP:

Is this what you mean?
    Copy and paste links --- difficult-img_00000001.jpg

In this case, Copy is all you need. Else, if you're talking about THIS:
    Copy and paste links --- difficult-img_00000002.jpg

Then that is ultra annoying and you will have to scroll up a bit and try again, then scroll down a bit and try again, maybe reload the page and try again. Hate when it does that...
    11-30-12 02:55 PM
    I can almost say with conviction - I HATE the text selection process. Or Cursor Placement process. I was trying to EDIT an address in the url and could not just get that damn arrow so I could backspace (delete) and enter the fix!

I will be damned myself before I purchase any BB10 phone that does not have a keyboard. And if they really remove the trackpad and we are left with a process similar to the current pb, I will not get a new bb phone!
    diegonei and BlazorBoy like this.
    11-30-12 03:44 PM
    Its not doing what I am telling it to do with my fingers/gestures. I can't show that on a screen shot...
    11-30-12 03:54 PM
    Its not doing what I am telling it to do with my fingers/gestures. I can't show that on a screen shot so I'm sure anyone that hasn't found this bug thinks I'm nuts
    11-30-12 03:58 PM
    Wow now I edit a post and when I save it a second post appears. That's a new one.
    11-30-12 03:59 PM
    Thanks for keeping this on topic. I don't have the "fonzi touch". how do regular people do this:
    Attached Thumbnails Copy and paste links --- difficult-linksample.gif.jpg  
    11-30-12 04:12 PM
    In a word, it sucks.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-01-12 03:32 AM
    If you are in the address bar at the top do the following

Tap once and release which will highlight the whole address
    Then tap and hold on the highlighted text (keep holding till menu pops up)
    You will be presented with the options to cut, copy, select all, cancel selection and cancel

If you only want to select a portion of the highlighted text just move the marker or arrow at the end left or right. You can also tap and hold the highlighted text and drag it to the right to get to the first marker or arrow to do the same.

It is a little sensitive as nothing beats a mouse cursor but just remember tap first to highlight, then tap and hold again to get the options.
    Hope this helps :-)
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-01-12 05:49 AM
    Thanks, that is easier. So what I gather is that the "copy link" option is available when a link is embedded in the text. But not when copying from the address bar. How perfectly RIM.
    12-01-12 09:50 AM
    Address bar is not a link so the option wouldn't show up.
    12-01-12 09:59 AM
    RIM should take the blame when it's due, but in this case, as mentioned above, a link is an html feature embedded in the Page (which the PlayBook OS detects ) that gives you the "link" options on the pop up menu, while the address in the browser header is NOT a link and doesn't function like one.

FTR - not the biggest fan of the little blue arrows, but I have gotten a lot better at using them (I needed to slow down and be more deliberate in my dexterity ).

I know it won't be there, F2, but I'm with you on wanting trackpad to stay! Long live the trackpad! I hope there's enough demand that RIM brings it back on the next gen of keyboard phones.
    12-01-12 10:09 AM
    I'm with Carlos DaRoo on this one.

Yes, as "Boldtillhybridarrives", it can be frustrating but as Carlos says, go a little slower, a little more deliberately, and you can get those little blue pointers to do exactly what you want. It is fussy. But, with not too much effort, I got the hang of it and like it.

One guy complained that you only get the "copy" option but not the "copy link" option when you copy from the browser's address bar WTF?!!! When you copy the entire address bar, you are copying a link so for goodness sake just get on with it. Why quibble over a minute detail like that. And like someone else posted, the address bar isn't a link, a link is a hypertext item in the body of a webpage or message. And then he blames RIM. How clich�d.

So I say to the complainers, here, chill, and make a slight effort to figure out how to use this feature and then it will serve you well. Or, just continue posting more complaints.

My pet peeve is the difficulty of getting the darn blue pointer to pop up. Sometimes I just type in a few spaces with the spacebar to trigger it to make an appearance. Grrr...

Now as to those who hope for a smoother interface in BB10, I sure hope so! But for now, this is what we have and it can work fine if you just give it a chance.
    BigwhiteUK likes this.
    12-01-12 11:44 AM
    Thanks, that is easier. So what I gather is that the "copy link" option is available when a link is embedded in the text. But not when copying from the address bar. How perfectly RIM.
    Matter of terminology. Definition of link: a word or image in a computer document that you can click on in order to move to a related website

What you are trying to copy is apparently the web address which is usually refer erred to as URL. So I think RIM is correct in not providing the link option and apparently they did not feel it necessary to provide a separate option called "copy URL". Of course one can take the position that the URL is just another form of a link and criticize RIM's approach.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-01-12 01:29 PM
    When I select from the address bar I pull down from the top, place the cursor somewhere on the bar then hit select all button, then the copy button.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-01-12 02:47 PM