I'm curious if any answer has been given for why copy and paste functionality seems to be so random on the Playbook, when you can almost universally copy and paste between applications, etc., in a BlackBerry phone?

I am still trying to figure out what works with what, but it seems to be incredibly random.

1) I can paste from WordtoGo into the regular browser but not the Bridge Browser
    2) You really apparently can't copy paste much if anything between Bridge apps
    3) You can't copy and paste at all in SheetstoGo from what I can tell

What I'm trying to learn is whether anyone knows whether the decision to have copy and paste function so erratic was with a purpose, either security, limitation of the OS, etc. More curiosity than anything else, plus it may give some insight as to whether we can eventually expect this to improve or whether it's like this for good due to some issue with the architecture.

The reason this ended up coming up was that I finally figured out a way to store my passwords for websites/etc. on the PB, which would allow me to paste passwords into the browser. Using Docstogo, I can make a password-protected encrypted Word document and paste from there into the PB browser. However when I checked to see if I could paste from Docstogo to the Bridge Browser (which would be useful when I am away from Wifi), it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.
    05-30-11 01:01 PM
    I just copied the phrase "bridge browser" from your last paragraph and pasted it into the bridge browser address bar. So you can copy but I admit there are li.itations.
    05-30-11 01:15 PM
    Yes sorry should have been more specific. I know you can paste WITHIN the individual Bridge applications, but I really need the ability to paste INTO and OUT OF the Bridge applications. I can't figure out why we shouldn't be able to unless it was just an oversight. If they are never going to add this functionality for some reason it would be very frustrating.
    05-30-11 01:22 PM
    It's not erratic, it's downright awful.
    Try copy/pasting something in a input field (such as a this post field I'm typing in now). Copying something out of it is next to impossible. Especially if next goes outside of the visible field and you have to scroll down to copy, ain't happening.
    You're confined to copying within the visible field, can't scroll down or up to copy the text outside of what is shown. I need to do this often for my blogs and it's a nightmare. I've resorted to typing in Works and then copying into my blogs.
    Also, when I copy something (hit copy) then try to click a link within the window the copy/paste toolbar goes nuts and blinks on/off for a good 5 seconds.
    05-30-11 01:26 PM
    My theory is that you can't copy/paste data from outside the Bridge applications to inside the Bridge (or vice versa) because the bridge information resides on your phone. It's a totally separate sandbox.
    05-30-11 01:54 PM
    It was intended to be that way. The reasoning was that Bridge information (in most cases) is coming from a corporate BlackBerry and that information should not be easily copied to your personal PlayBook.
    05-30-11 02:02 PM
    You're confined to copying within the visible field, can't scroll down or up to copy the text outside of what is shown. I need to do this often for my blogs and it's a nightmare. I've resorted to typing in Works and then copying into my blogs.
    This is my biggest complaint: copying outside of what is shown. I needed it for my blog as well. I just gave up.
    05-30-11 02:20 PM
    It was intended to be that way. The reasoning was that Bridge information (in most cases) is coming from a corporate BlackBerry and that information should not be easily copied to your personal PlayBook.
    Well here's a question then, because I can see this perspective from RIM:

Could I store the password protected Word document with my passwords on my PHONE and open it through Bridge Files, and retain the ability to copy from that particular document into the Bridge Browser? Better just try it out I guess...

"Selecting" text in general is as big a hassle as the copy/paste irregularities, so I feel your pain there too.

Near infinite potential for this thing to be a wicked business tool, still a lot of bugs keeping it from perfection.
    05-30-11 02:28 PM
    Success! You CAN copy from documents stored on your phone, which you open in Bridge Files, into the Bridge Browser or other applications. Still not the uber-solution, but considering Bridge stuff is likely to stay walled off from the rest of the PB, probably the best we're going to get.

And they still need to make it so you can copy/paste to/from SheetstoGo at ALL...
    05-30-11 03:21 PM
    My pb is downstairs and I'm eating my sardine/onion sandwich - I thought I recall that you can copy/paste but only from what I'll call the data entry line of Sheets. I'm not a big sheet user but the fact you cannot copy/paste a cell or block of cells is really lame!
    05-30-11 03:44 PM
    My pb is downstairs and I'm eating my sardine/onion sandwich - I thought I recall that you can copy/paste but only from what I'll call the data entry line of Sheets. I'm not a big sheet user but the fact you cannot copy/paste a cell or block of cells is really lame!
    You are correct sir!

Although it's actually faster for me to copy from the Word document though with respect to my passwords...

Now for the million dollar question, will we ever be able to copy/paste from Bridge Messages? Even into other Bridge Applications?

Actually the bigger pain is not being able to copy out of Bridge MemoPad into the regular PlayBook apps, because I have a lot of notes (like frequent flier numbers and stuff) that I would routinely copy into a browser. I think I could copy it into Bridge Browser, but right now (god I hope it improves) it's slooooowwwww...
    05-30-11 04:54 PM
    The only time I discovered that there was a copy/paste function is when I accidentally activate it. I have no idea how I did, and I can never do it when I need it.
    05-30-11 05:08 PM
    I just cut-pasted from the memopad bridge app. I clicked on anote and tjen clicked on the edit icon. I was then able to press-hold and get tje copy prompt arrows. I tjem copied and opened the regular browser and paste tje copied url into the address bar.
    05-30-11 06:32 PM
    I just cut-pasted from the memopad bridge app. I clicked on anote and tjen clicked on the edit icon. I was then able to press-hold and get tje copy prompt arrows. I tjem copied and opened the regular browser and paste tje copied url into the address bar.
    I am not able to duplicate this behavior at all. I can copy within the Memopad application, but I can only paste into BRIDGE browser, not the regular browser.

Has anyone else been able to copy from Bridge MemoPad into the PB main browser?
    05-30-11 07:55 PM
    My pb is downstairs and I'm eating my sardine/onion sandwich

I'm sorry but that just sounds wrong ! ewwwwwwww
    05-30-11 08:24 PM
    I am not able to duplicate this behavior at all. I can copy within the Memopad application, but I can only paste into BRIDGE browser, not the regular browser.

Has anyone else been able to copy from Bridge MemoPad into the PB main browser?
    Test

The above word was copied from the bridge memopad app and pasted into the main browser.
    05-30-11 09:02 PM
    I'm sorry but that just sounds wrong ! ewwwwwwww
    You are correct. I should have clarified that "pb" was Playbook and not Peanut Butter.

Dice onions nicely and mash with sardines - excellent.

Back to the subject at hand... It appears someone duplicated my memopad copy/paste. And to enable copy/paste for the guy who finds it on occasion - Press and Hold on some text and those two "arrowlike tabs" appear and they can be moved (not always where I want). Then COPY. Go elsewhere and again Press and Hold and options should appear including Paste. I just wish it were easier to place the cursor in both instances.
    05-30-11 09:25 PM
    Okay I wonder if it has something to do with my blackberry being a corporate unit. I can copy all I want from MemoPad, but I can't paste anything I copy there outside of a Bridge application. I also can't paste anything copied from the PB browser into Bridge MemoPad.

The crazy thing is, the PB seems to maintain two separate clipboards, one for Bridge and one for the rest of the unit. Because when I would copy in Bridge, but paste in the regular browser, it would paste something I'd copied hours ago. But when I pasted into any Bridge app, it would paste what I'd copied from Bridge Memopad.

Kind of insane.
    05-30-11 10:32 PM
    “At least 14 people have died and more than 1,200 have been sickened – 329 seriously – by a rare strain of E. coli that has been linked, although not definitively, to cucumbers imported from Spain. The European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control has described the outbreak as “one of the largest worldwide and the largest ever reported in Germany.”

The above excerpt was snipped from a article accessed through the bridge browser and then pasted and posted on the main browser. What the h e double hockey sticks are you going on about?

I understand that enterprise systems have their own step ups but the regular consumer market models can copy/paste anywhere to their hearts content.
    Last edited by shootsscores; 05-30-11 at 10:49 PM.
    05-30-11 10:46 PM
    Huh...okay this is crazy then. Are there BES-side controls (I am in a company of 100,000+ so I have no direct access to BES or to anyone in control of it either) that could cause something like this?

Basically my Bridge stuff and my PB stuff are handled like complete discrete worlds on my PlayBook. And never the twain shall meet, apparently.

It sucks, I want it for business use, but they cripple the damn thing using business-related controls apparently. I don't understand how not letting me copy text from my emails to the browser improves security, when I can copy/paste anything I damn well please on my work laptop?

Is there even the most remote chance that there is something screwed up with my phone or Bridge connection (I've already completely reset the Bridge today)? Would it even be possible for a defective PlayBook to manifest in such a bizarre way?

Is anyone else having the same issues/behavior as me? Or can everyone buy me copy/paste willy-nilly?

That's a lot of questions...
    05-30-11 11:20 PM
    I have no idea what CORPORATE might be able to control. I have read that ScreenShots are not permitted (is that only on the bridged side of things?). Being able to cut/paste from a confidential email might be what they intend to prevent? I guess you need a new subject trying to ascertain what limits BES/Corporate might be able to impose.

Good luck
    05-31-11 12:15 AM
    Huh...okay this is crazy then. Are there BES-side controls (I am in a company of 100,000+ so I have no direct access to BES or to anyone in control of it either) that could cause something like this?

Basically my Bridge stuff and my PB stuff are handled like complete discrete worlds on my PlayBook. And never the twain shall meet, apparently.

It sucks, I want it for business use, but they cripple the damn thing using business-related controls apparently. I don't understand how not letting me copy text from my emails to the browser improves security, when I can copy/paste anything I damn well please on my work laptop?

Is there even the most remote chance that there is something screwed up with my phone or Bridge connection (I've already completely reset the Bridge today)? Would it even be possible for a defective PlayBook to manifest in such a bizarre way?

Is anyone else having the same issues/behavior as me? Or can everyone buy me copy/paste willy-nilly?

That's a lot of questions...
    I'm in the same boat as you. It's probably a BES thing. For the people who can copy/paste in/out of bridge - are you on BES or BIS?
    05-31-11 12:24 AM
    I am definitely on BES with my 9700. I had to go through the whole "enterprise activation" rigamarole, on the Bold and my old Curve I had a year or so ago.

It seems clear that the "dual personality syndrome" is a symptom of BES and/or IT security policy, I just have a hard time understanding what purpose it could have, when I can easily copy/paste on my laptop, or even my 9700 itself?

Guess I probably won't get an answer without asking RIM directly.
    05-31-11 12:44 AM
    I am an individual user - BIS.

Listen, even as an individual, rim has security in mind - without a 3rd party program, I canNOT reply or forward an email and edit the outgoing message. I gather the idea is when you forward/reply on a corporate (or private) phone, editing is a no-no. No out of context messages are allowed.
    05-31-11 08:49 AM
    I guess it all strikes me as a little pointless when I just break out the laptop and easily bypass all these restrictions...
    05-31-11 09:21 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD