don't return it, give it to me
    01-15-12 06:42 PM
    I find myself in the same boat as OP. An iPad owner here who came over to the dark side (as they call it) due to the $189 fire sale on the 16gb PB.

I'm trying hard to like it and see what Crackberry users see that I didn't originally see. It's like learning to like spinach because you know it's good for you.

Initially, it seemed too small, web pages squeezed and tiny, battery life just passable, and the UI fairly clunky. But after 3 weeks it's growing on me. Portability, build quality, hardware specs and features (2 nice still cameras, decent camcorder), video chat capability, and PDF/Excel/Word file reading/saving are winning me over.

So I can sympathize with OP's point of view. The difference is that you have to give it a chance and recognize its strong points. But only with recent price discounting.
    Last edited by RF8655; 01-15-12 at 07:00 PM.
    CrackNote likes this.
    01-15-12 06:44 PM
    That long video was really informative, highly appreciate that! Other CES videos didn't show that much!

From what I have seen and noticed in the video I suggest there are ton of top apps that will be coming in OS 2.0/February, like Box.net (shame still no Dropbox), Evernote, Zinio, a fully updated and redesign DocToGo?, BCC News and a lot of "native" games that I actually don't really care (but it is a good sign that EA and GameLoft show their love for the PlayBook!).
    I believe this is a good sign that those "top" apps are finally coming to App World! Let's pray the price will be right to go!

I have been also playing with the settings on my router (dual band one), have been notice a more stable connection since I changed the 5GHZ signal to N only instead of N/A mixed.

Thanks all for the inputs and will see you Part 2 dude!
    Most of the apps you listed are already available
    01-15-12 06:46 PM
    Return it. Not sure why my opinion would affect your usage.
    01-15-12 06:53 PM
    Your answer is simple. You're not happy with it then return it. Why keep something that's going to break you mentally over time. With so many tablet choices nowadays, no one is forcing you to keep the PlayBook.

I wouldn't want to keep an unwanted coffee table that doesn't go well with my other furnitures. Instead of whining about the table, all I need to do is go return it and find something that will keep my smiles up. That's the joy of shopping, picking out the perfect things that will suit your lifestyle.
    01-15-12 07:08 PM
    I can tell you that the lenovo thinkpad tablet wireless is no better. Both work great at home, but none work well at work. I do believe they were well enough that I have 3 pb's now. I did buy them thinking that OS 2.0 would give it even more value than it has now. I hope i'm right.
    01-15-12 07:12 PM
    And last one; what the **** is wrong with the wifi on the PlayBook? I barley got a decent signal and most of time it just drop it. So if I want to use it I need to go to the living room next on my router? Even my iPad can get a good signal where my PlayBook displaying connection error, I read on google that I should change to only B and G but it is not helping... and beside why should I configure my router if the iPad and my iMac both are working fine? RIM mentioned that it will fix in the upcoming OS 2 and for god sake I hope they really fix it...

I almost forget about the YouTube app... why can't I login to watch my subscriptions? It is not 2006, for god sake it is 2012!

/rant
    Either you have a faulty playbook or your wireless is crappy. I can use my playbook fine with all bars downstairs in my basement, or my attic. I can use the wifi from the driveway or halfway to 2/3rds of my backyard which is around half an acre..I don't know the length.

Other than that I have no thing against your opinions and thoughts. I've used the iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad since 2008. I like iOS and I like their product. But I went and bought the playbook to get a different experience. Are all tablets required to give the same experience? I like iOS, Android, WebOS, QNX, etc for what they are. I came to a point where I didn't want to use an iOS device because they were similar from iPhone, iTouch to iPad.

Hardware-wise I love the Playbook. I like the fact I can take it around easier then my netbook. A bigger screen would help for web browsing, but because I'm getting a laptop sometime in the next 4 months I wouldn't need the big screen.

The killer for me is the lack of apps. There really isn't much. I can't even find a decent Bible application. I don't like how the Gameloft apps are not using the full screen, especially Asphalt 6. But anything in app is not RIM's fault.

I don't think there is anything I can say that will help the playbook look good in your eyes. That's not something a person can do for you by explaining, your personal experience is. If you hate it you should return it and save the money. There probably isn't another tablet around the same price range that will please you so save the cash until the new iPad comes out or something.
    01-15-12 07:30 PM
    Most of the apps you listed are already available
    EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Anyone who has atleast tried to enjoy this tablet or has read this forum (for real) would know that most of those apps he listed as coming in 2.0 is already in app world!! Wow!!

And its AMAZING that after a few simple posts his wifi problem has magically disappeared. After scouring this forum for weeks researching this tablet right? SMH

Look man. You like Android. You like IOS. You do not like BB.

CASE CLOSED, no one needs to try to make your buyers remorse go away.
    01-15-12 07:32 PM
    Why I feel you should keep the Playbook. (long post ahead)

Sorry for the delay, but I made a stupid move after nearly completing my response. I was almost finished and just needed to paste a link. Instead of opening a new tab, i went directly to the link to verify and lost all that I had entered. Dumb move. I should have known better.

In this part I will give a list of the functions I use my Playbook for which will describe why I feel the Playbook is the best tablet for me. Hopefully, though you won't necessarily need it to perform the same functions, it will give you an idea of what the Playbook even in its current form can accomplish.

1. First off I already own a BB Torch 9800 soon to be upgraded to a Bold 9900 in anticipation of the upcoming Bridge enhancements. The Playbook and a BB phone are a match made in heaven...well maybe not that good, but it don't get much better.

2. Via the built-in Bridge application I can access my Email, Contacts, and Calendars and make changes in real time to any of them.

3. Through the Bridge Browser I have access to the internet anywhere from my PB as long as my phone is with me, which it always is.

4. I can access BBM through Bridge on my PB.

5. I can access files, music, and photos stored on my phone via bridge.

6. Tethering via Bridge or Bluetooth is seamless once setup and I don't even think about it when I am not within wifi access. I just launch the browser or any other internet app and away I go.

7. I access all of my email accounts either via the web (Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, Outlook Live. work email via OWA) or as mentioned via the Bridge apps.

8. When I receive a phone call while working on my PB, and on screen message pops up telling me I have a call and who its from. Useful in meetings when the phone is on silent.

9. I use Evernote to take note at meeting and webinars, conferences and they are then available to me anywhere on any platform.

10. I keep up with local news using the Vancouver Sun and Province apps. For Tech news I use eWeek HD, Channel Insider, Blackberry News. For keeping up with my sports teams I use Score Mobile. (note: Zinio is coming in OS 2)

11. For reference I use the Wikipedia Launcher and in Church I use the excellent e-Mmanuel+ Bible Program.

12. For books I have been a long time Kobo user but no longer use my Kobo eReader as the PB is an excellent eBook reader and comes with the Kobo app.

13. The PB takes excellent photos (no flash mean you just need good light). Samples of just a few of the photos I have taken can be found at Zenfolio | Richard and Debbie's Gallery | Playbook Photos.

14. Using My Friend Flickr available in App World I can upload my photos to my Flickr account. There are several photo sync and streaming apps for accessing a Flickr or PicasaWeb feeds. I believe there is also a SmugMug app if you have an account with them.

14. I use the built in GPS with Magellan Compass which also has the capability of recording trips and saving as a gpx file. I plan on using this to record some of my longer bike rides as soon as I get my bike mount. A sample of a test I did using this feature while heading to a Starbucks in the car on the way home from work can be viewed at Trip to Starbucks - Langley, British Columbia. I did run into a PB limitation here whereby the file being a gpx file is not recognized by the PB file manager when I attempted to upload via the BB Browser or SimpleBrowser+ (my preferred web browser). My work around to this was to use the app Files & Folders (another excellent app) to select the file and send it to myself via email then upload it from my Mac to RideWithGPS.com.

15. I sync my Mac iTunes library via wifi using the excellent iTunes Sync app in App World for both mine and my wife's Playbook.

15. Using Telnet/SSH I can access my Mac at home, my Mac work station and Linux servers via built in VPN.

16. I can remote control either my Mac at home or at work from anywhere with internet access via Splashtop.

17. I copy/move files or access the PB file system via wifi from my Mac, or Windows computers.

18. I run presentations using a simple micro HDMI cable connected to any monitor, project with an HDMI input.

19. I view 1080p movies and videos on my PB using the built in app.

20. I access music streaming through the Slacker Radio app or from with a must have app for all PB users, Today's Alarm Clock which has many features and is available in App World for free.

21. Though I am not a gamer, there are more than enough games than I will ever need. The games I have installed are Bejewelled 2, PopcornRush (addictive), Santas Lines (addictive), Pinball Deluxe, Sudoku, Hangman, Paper Plane, NFS Undercover (buiit in), Tetris, Solitaire, Cut the Rope, Alpha Wave and of course Angry Birds.

22. For local entertainment, eating out, local business and events etc I use Poynt which also uses GPS to find such establishments near your current location.

23. To check out the local movies I use PMDB and for watching free music videos I use VEVO.

This may be a long list to some but it is not an exhaustive list of what I use my Playbook for and I am finding new uses for it all the time. When PB OS 2 comes out the list will explode...well I maybe exaggerating a bit there, but it will be really, really HUGE.

As my wife would say, "I'm all a quiver" waiting for the new version.
    Last edited by rjedge54; 01-15-12 at 08:34 PM. Reason: second try to fix a smiley
    RF8655, jafobabe, apg300 and 2 others like this.
    01-15-12 08:29 PM
    I just got my PB today. Very impressed with the construction. Even MORE impressed with the OS. I'm going to agree with CrackNote on that everything he said is correct. HOWEVER, I will NEVER EVER buy an Apple. Apples are terrible machines made for simple minded people. Anyone with a bit of software knowledge would hate those. Androids are nice but after having the PB and able to compare it to my friends' Galaxy, Xoom, Transformer and Ipad 2... theres no doubt in my mind that I'm keeping my PB and waiting for OS2. The current OS is surreal. It is much more user friendly. The touch sensitive bezel is amazing. The ease of pulling out and putting away of the virtual keyboard is awesome. Even my friends had to admit that my PB is awesome. Then they gave me crap about the screen size.... but hey.. I held my PB in my 1 hand for hours without complaint.... they were switching off hands every 15 mins... big tablet arent very comfortable to hold with 1 hand.. which is a common thing to do while the other hand is busy scrolling, pinching and clicking.

Rushed product?.. perhaps.. I rather look at it as having working beta knowing that the release version is going to be awesome. And all those apps you are looking for from android is only weeks away with the Android Player.

O yah... one more thing... MY PB FITS IN MY FRONT PANTS POCKET!!!!
    01-16-12 01:02 AM
    I just got my PB today. Very impressed with the construction. Even MORE impressed with the OS. I'm going to agree with CrackNote on that everything he said is correct. HOWEVER, I will NEVER EVER buy an Apple. Apples are terrible machines made for simple minded people. Anyone with a bit of software knowledge would hate those. Androids are nice but after having the PB and able to compare it to my friends' Galaxy, Xoom, Transformer and Ipad 2... theres no doubt in my mind that I'm keeping my PB and waiting for OS2. The current OS is surreal. It is much more user friendly. The touch sensitive bezel is amazing. The ease of pulling out and putting away of the virtual keyboard is awesome. Even my friends had to admit that my PB is awesome. Then they gave me crap about the screen size.... but hey.. I held my PB in my 1 hand for hours without complaint.... they were switching off hands every 15 mins... big tablet arent very comfortable to hold with 1 hand.. which is a common thing to do while the other hand is busy scrolling, pinching and clicking.

Rushed product?.. perhaps.. I rather look at it as having working beta knowing that the release version is going to be awesome. And all those apps you are looking for from android is only weeks away with the Android Player.

O yah... one more thing... MY PB FITS IN MY FRONT PANTS POCKET!!!!
    I also love my Playbook, but not because I think iOS is for simple minded people (you just offended a few of my cousins ). I just don't believe we should stereotype here. OSs are like cars. Some like small cars, some pickups, some truck, vans, etc. It's a matter of preference.

As for the size, well, the 7" factor is becoming quite popular with at least a handful of 7" tablets currently selling and many more coming in very near future (possibly including an iPad).

I also personally find QNX to be just awesome. If someone has chosen something different, well, that's their choice.
    apg300 likes this.
    01-16-12 01:10 AM
    I believe that people will always find what they are looking for.
    If you're looking for reasons to retain your playbook, you will surely find them.
    If you're looking for reasons to return your playbook, you'll surely find them too.
    Frankly, nobody in here can tell you what to do with your playbook. And we shouldn't, really.
    That decision is yours and yours alone to make, in the same way that you decided to purchase it in the first place.

I wish you well with whatever decision you will choose to make.

Note: In case your decision is to give it away and buy something else...let me know. I wouldn't mind taking the load off from you. Let me adopt your playbook. Cheers!
    kennyliu likes this.
    01-16-12 01:26 AM
    Why I feel you should keep the Playbook....
    Talk about Selling Skills! Great job!
    01-16-12 01:33 AM
    What is also brilliant about the PB, is how easy it is to move files around. I am wifi connected to my home and office desktops and using windows explorer I transfer, update and move files. On the PB itself, I use Files & Folders. On my other tablet, I don't even know how to do it.
    01-16-12 01:44 AM
    I am blessed enough to have several tablets in my homestead. My 4 & 18 year old have their own iPad and I have both the Playbook and the Asus Transformer. I'm not sure what wireless router you own but I have a Dlink N type router and I have had nothing but problems with wireless dropouts. Funny thing is, it was only dropping certain devices. I removed the Dlink router and configured wireless on the Verizon 54G FIOS router. Since then, I have yet to have a problem with wireless connectivity. Even though you've come to the conclusion it is not the wireless router, it very well could be.

BTW: Out all the devices I own, I use my Playbook and my desktop PC the most.

Good luck with you decision.
    01-16-12 01:46 AM
    Really, how can anyone else tell you what to do? If it doesn't work for you, you should return it. Main pros and cons concern the size and apps. Some find a 7" tablet useful, others don't. The Playbook is limited in the app department, but if it has the apps you need, that is not necessarily an issue. You should not keep it if the wifi does not work, though. May just be an issue with your router--check it with others.
    01-16-12 02:16 AM
    return it if you don't want it. Keep it if you want it. What else is there to say. Enjoy.
    01-16-12 02:30 AM
    Dear CrackNote,

In reference to your post title:

Convince me why I shouldn't return my PlayBook!
    I believe that the ability to convince yourself of the best solution to any problem and self-affirmation is an excellent quality in leaders and highly successful people.

I also believe that to espouse this quality, one should not need to rely on public opinion. Rather, rely on your own intuition and base your decision on your own needs.

After all, why should we create a society where your friends and colleagues (or random strangers) make decisions for you?

To find out what the PlayBook can do, you don't have to go far to uncover a wealth of information; so use that to your advantage.
    01-16-12 03:30 AM
    If you need someone you don't know to convince you, you should return it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 03:39 AM
    Convince me why I shouldn't return my PlayBook!
    Simply put this is something that we cant help you with. You can get all the supporting posts you need, but the fact that you are asking people for help to convince you to keep the PB pretty much means that you are set on giving it back already.
    In the end the decision is down to you and whether you feel that the long term benefits of having a PB are better than having for example an iPad or Android Pad.
    All I can do is merely let you know why I personally stayed with the PB when I was in a similar position 2 weeks ago.
    Firstly, let me state that I was quite heavily into apple a year ago. I had an iPhone 3GS and an iPad and was a daily iTunes user. However it was apples limited support for older products and their simple chokehold ont he industry that drove me away from them. They release new products which contain certain software improvements which are only available on their latest products and they charge obscene prices for these products. Furthermore their quest to lockdown users that spend this amount of money on their products in order to control them is also a crime in itself. If someone spends over �499 on a product they should have some right to open software and music. True there are work arounds, but you shouldnt have to implement them for that kind of money.
    Bearing that in mind I got an Android phone and sold the iPad and to be honest I couldnt be happier with that decision. Android is completely open and presents limited problems, no lockdown on software and fine with modding. With the money I made on the iPad i waited and in the end saw the price drop of the PB. Seeing what kind of specs it had (better or on par with iPad 2) I went for it. Putting aside the crisis I had with the initial one I bought I must say Im lovin it. No its not a 10 inch screen...but it is 7 inch and fantastic in quality, fits in a large coat pocket without a hitch, good build quality, and most important of all...BB and RIM are not giving up on it. No it doesnt have as rich an app store...yet, No it isnt used to its full potential...yet, no it isnt as popular as the iPad. BUT, it is progressing, RIM seem to be listening to the community, it is being improved, it is far cheaper than an iPad (I payed �229 for a 64GB tablet!), it works great with a BB phone, the app world is getting daily app updates, the list goes on....oh and dont forget android app support coming in, which I think will give it a big boost.
    Dunno if that helps, but hope you're happy with the choice you make .
    01-16-12 05:07 AM
    Well since you click on this thread, thank u for that! Don't report me or leave yet but please share your opinions on this one! Appreciate that.

So hey there, I just purchased a PlayBook 64GB for 299 euro last friday. And after playing for like two days it left me with some thought about just return the tablet and forget about it.

Why? I don't want to troll this forum or something or even being a Apple or Android fanboy but you know coming from an iPad (iOS) and Nexus S (Android) this PlayBook really disappoint me in so many points, no I'm not trolling even this is my first post.

/rant
    Listen: I like the build quality of the PlayBook! Really, the material and the premium design make the PlayBook feels really good in my hand. The hardware like the 1 GHZ dual-core, 1 GB RAM and on top the QNX OS make all the things run and go snappy.

But seriously RIM no matter what kind of people are saying this PlayBook is definitely a RUSH product! The OS may run smoothly and the gesture control may work fine but the OS is definitely not finish, just go and run through the settings and compare it with other OS. I can understand the reason for not include Email, Contacts or Calendar but RIM wake up man it was 2011 when you guys launch the PlayBook and don't say theres many people who use a BB smartphone so they can pair using bridge, from what I know is that almost everyone were using an iPhone or an Android devices! I know the OS 2.0 is coming and will fix the stuff like PIM but man o man let me continue on the App World...

Seriously how can Mike give a speech on dev con last year by saying many people like the PlayBook and apps in App World are keep growing everyday? Come on for God sake there is not even a decent tech news app in the App World! No Engadet, no CNN, no Skype, no Pulse Reader and keep it going... Will this change? I doubt it, since only Android 2.3 apps will be port to the App World not even tablets apps... I don't need Angry Birds where I can get for free on Android or even for 2 dollar/euro on my iPad but really RIM should look at those price in App world for god sake why is monlopy selling for like 9,50 euro?! I got mine for like 79 cent on the iPad? For 9,50 I can go and purchase a real one in the toy store!

And last one; what the **** is wrong with the wifi on the PlayBook? I barley got a decent signal and most of time it just drop it. So if I want to use it I need to go to the living room next on my router? Even my iPad can get a good signal where my PlayBook displaying connection error, I read on google that I should change to only B and G but it is not helping... and beside why should I configure my router if the iPad and my iMac both are working fine? RIM mentioned that it will fix in the upcoming OS 2 and for god sake I hope they really fix it...

I almost forget about the YouTube app... why can't I login to watch my subscriptions? It is not 2006, for god sake it is 2012!

/rant
    Here's what I say you do...I'm going to convince you otherwise.

Return the Playbook now ASAP! Buy yourself an iPad or an Android Tablet, and when you're done coming to the realization that the Playbook is better, sell the dumb iPad or Android tablet, and buy your Playbook back - and most importantly, don't mention it on this thread, because that would be embarassing for you
    01-16-12 05:35 AM
    Return it while you can. playbook doesnot does not deserve people like you anyways.

Rather than appriciating a good peice of hardware and waiting for os2 you are cribbing like a child on trivial things. Imagine what would have happened if your parents would have abandonded you as a toddler because you had no clue about anything and would pee in your pants, no they didnt because they knew that you were a part of them and would gradually turn out to be a fine human that you are today.

So decide.....
    01-16-12 05:42 AM

On a quick follow up to my earlier "essay" , just wanted to raise a flag regarding the last 2 things you said. You actually might have to return your PB because you shouldnt be having WiFi problems full stop. On the day I bought mine I tested my PB WiFi versus my old mans iPad 2. Low and behold the iPad 2 cut out every minute when streaming a youtube video, while the PB smiled, waved and streamed with no trouble at all. Basicaly I can get quite far without cutting out and we're using a mixed G/N router, so it may be your WiFi receiver on the PB is broke??

As for youtube....who the uses the app apart from apple users?? The only reason they need to is because of apples silly kitty fight with Adobe over Flash support. Wouldnt you prefer to use the full on youtube experience website on the PB over the Ipad app....or any youtube app in that matter?? Another instance where the PB has certain advantages
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    01-16-12 05:50 AM
    So yet another troll post that sucks people into making a thread that should be dead by now 4 pages.

No one can convince anyone to keep a piece of tech. If people come to these forums(blackberry enthusiasts)and want to be convinced to keep a piece of tech made by the company we love, I hate to say it but they have already made up their mind, and want to troll, whether they fully intend to troll or not that is the main purpose behind threads such as these.

FYI every time I see threads like these I report them as trolls.
    mikeplus1 likes this.
    01-16-12 07:04 AM
    People who want convinced ask for help. End of story.
    mikeplus1, barskin and diegonei like this.
    01-16-12 07:15 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD