So the Christmas sales have started in the UK, and I'm really tempted by a Playbook.

Being as you usually find me writing on android central, I'm turning to the crackberry fans to give me some good/bad advice on whether it's a good investment for a non day to day blackberry user.

I need to be able to use it for basic office (spreadsheet, pdf, word) functions and watching movies on the go. Has anyone got one that doesn't use a blackberry smartphone? Would I be disadvantaged in anyway by not having a bb?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    12-24-11 03:41 PM
    I have an android phone. complements the playbook nicely.
    Spamcube likes this.
    12-24-11 03:46 PM
    Considering the price point and that native email is coming as well as Android apps...I'd recommend it.
    12-24-11 03:59 PM
    Even on Android, if your carrier/plan allows it, using the wifi router option gets you online with it anywhere. It already includes a full version of documents to go so you can quickly work on any Microsoft Office document excluding publisher and Access. Also on board out of the box is a PDF reader by Adobe, no editing ability though.

If you can grab one on sale for less than �300 (including VAT), it is a great buy.
    12-24-11 03:59 PM
    £169 for 16gb version :-)

Thanks everyone, i might reserve one to collect on boxing day.

Does blackberry bridge offer anything more than tethering and email?

12-24-11 04:04 PM
    Better than any android tablet imo.

Yes, bb bridge also offers BBM, contacts, calendar, tasks, memo pad and allows you to browse through your phone's files with ur pb
    12-24-11 04:05 PM
    Better than any android tablet imo.

Yes, bb bridge also offers BBM, contacts, calendar, tasks, memo pad and allows you to browse through your phone's files with ur pb
    well he would need a blackberry phone to use the bridge which he said he doesn't have so the bridge function is useless to him.
    12-24-11 04:13 PM
    �169 for 16gb version :-)

Thanks everyone, i might reserve one to collect on boxing day.

Does blackberry bridge offer anything more than tethering and email?

I was surprised the other day when my BlackBerry was ringing (while bridged) and a pop up window showed the caller id number on the PlayBook screen

Other features with BB Bridge is access to the contact list on your phone and the ability to transfer files between them both. Just a lot of neat extras that really make both products shine.
    Last edited by ungibbed; 12-24-11 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Typos and edited for clarity...
    12-24-11 04:17 PM
    If we need to convince you to pick-up a Playbook ......then, maybe this tablet isn't for you !!!
    vgwillm likes this.
    12-24-11 05:06 PM
    If basic office apps (PB has them included) and video playback (of your own videos files, not streaming) is all you need, PB is for you.

Not having BB will put you on significant disadvantage, if you're expecting native Email, Calendar, etc.
    12-24-11 05:08 PM
    If it werent for the price slash I dont think I would have been able to experience the complete awesomeness of the Playbook, Im a college student and this tablet compliments my needs quite nicely.
    12-24-11 05:08 PM
    Maybe convince was the wrong word...

I haven't had a blackberry device since my bold 9000, and while I've often toyed with having another for what blackberry phones are amazing at, communicating, I'm not likely to get one just to use on the playbook.

That said, everyone seems pretty upbeat on it, and for the current price point it could be worth a chance to see if it fits my use case. I'm using a nook color at the minute and i can't see the pb being any worse...

Merry Christmas guys

12-24-11 05:40 PM
    If you don't carry a BB phone I wouldn't get one. The office software is a bit limited in options unlike the android docs to go. It is however an excellent piece of equipment. But the lack of apps hold it back. On the other hand If you like great hardware and OS and are willing to work with it's limitations it's a good choice.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk
    12-24-11 06:04 PM
    So the Christmas sales have started in the UK, and I'm really tempted by a Playbook.

Being as you usually find me writing on android central, I'm turning to the crackberry fans to give me some good/bad advice on whether it's a good investment for a non day to day blackberry user.

I need to be able to use it for basic office (spreadsheet, pdf, word) functions and watching movies on the go. Has anyone got one that doesn't use a blackberry smartphone? Would I be disadvantaged in anyway by not having a bb?
    There are plenty of threads already covering these questions. If you need to be convinced to buy a particular product, you likely do not need the product or would not be happy with the product. Obviously you know how to use these forums so do some research on your own and make your own decision like a big boy or big girl.
    Lhendr likes this.
    12-24-11 06:12 PM
    Well all I can say is my personal opinion I love mine..
    1. full internet with Flash animation capabilities.
    2. with the OS just getting better and better, the PB is getting more robust. I'm running the OS 2 beta.
    3. although there isn't native e-mail yet, it's planned on in the upcoming OS release and besides, I can get all my email online with hotmail, aol, spamarrest and gmail
    4. all the apps I need and use, Evernote, Docs to Go, the different Bible programs I use, Kindle, Book Reader for my Nook books (hopefully a Nook app will be available soon), PDF Reader (could use some improvements but thats an Adobe thing), Pandora, Slacker, YouTube, and others work really well for me.
    5. Angry Birds... Plenty of games for me.
    6. Nice and portable, I like the 7" screen size. not to small and big enough to read books and the internet sites

I use mine all the time.. Can there be improvements? Sure, just like needed improvements with any other tablets including the iPad and Droid
    12-24-11 06:24 PM
    Current pricing is a steal! You don't need to own a BB to enjoy it, but you may find yourself owning one sooner than you think, which is what the PB did to me! (And for that I thank it!)
    12-24-11 06:34 PM
    If it werent for the price slash I dont think I would have been able to experience the complete awesomeness of the Playbook, Im a college student and this tablet compliments my needs quite nicely.
    Right, I did not even know what it was until I got my Bold a month or 2 ago, and when I heard that you could get them for less then $200 I wanted one. I ended up paying $235 shipped for a 16GB, but I am happy. It compliments the Bold perfectly. The old IBM Thinkpad is going to be doing alot of down time with this PB around. The Thinkpad is going to be used almost exclusively for reading OBD scans on my Sprinter vans from now on.
    12-24-11 06:45 PM
    i got my playbook about a week ago and find myself getting addicted to it. i have a mac pro but looks like I will be using it less and less. I find the size very convenient for browsing the web and speaking of the web, the playbook browser is excellent. There is a lot of complain that there is not enough apps out there. I can say though that i am using more apps with the playbook than I am using on my itouch. The news feed apps are especially well done.
    12-24-11 06:52 PM
    the nook color is bad? cuz when ut first came out the oublicity was like the most amazing tablet on the market.... just for curiosity
    12-24-11 07:06 PM
    Current pricing is a steal! You don't need to own a BB to enjoy it, but you may find yourself owning one sooner than you think, which is what the PB did to me! (And for that I thank it!)
    u got the bold 9650 with the playbook? idk why but i find that phone the ugliest of the blackberrys lol no offense but idk why i dont like it even tho i like the 9700 a lot, i owned one but it got stolen, anyway, i got my playbook for christmas and i gotta say i love it, its awesome, i had an iPad for work last month and i gotta say the browser was not what i expected from apple (iPad 1) but still.... anyway the playbookis in another level in my opinion, he only thing the playbook lacks that an iPad doesnt is 3G/4G but that can be easily deal with a blackberry smartphone, tho it isnt necesary.

So go for it man
    12-24-11 07:26 PM
    Convince him to get a playbook he says, Just for the fact that RIM is selling them for 169 over Boxing Day alone should be an offer you can't refuse. Buy one, you'll be happy !!
    12-24-11 07:36 PM
    NO...you either want it or you don't. do some research online and read some posts don't go up to people and say 'OK convince me' cause that doesn't show loyalty to the brand that that's what RIM needs right now more then anything, loyalty.
    12-24-11 07:43 PM
    well I have an ipad2 as well as a kindle fire and I can still recommend the playbook. Since I got mine, it goes to work with me and the ipad stays home. The reason? portability of the 7 inch form coupled with the bridge function renders the playbook more useful in more places. Kindle serves its function as an entertainment tablet for my kids and the ipad gets some use at home but, by and large, the best single device for my world is playbook. If I could keep only one, it would be the one.
    12-24-11 08:13 PM
    yeah. u should check reviews on youtube to be sure
    12-24-11 08:22 PM
    try one. you will be convinced. The playbook will convince you itself.
    12-24-11 09:45 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD