Hey guys i loked around and wasnt really able to find a review on journal case. I am looking for a book like case for my device. Keving from crackberry seem to like the convertible but had nothing posted on journal. Im just wondering from experience what do you have and what is the difference between them. All i see is that the leather seems a different pattern and tougher on Journal and it has am annoying string to keep it closed. Am I missing something here. Could anyone also, if possible link to a journal case review.
    05-29-11 01:30 PM
    I have the convertible but the design is a bit flawed. You can't plug in the charging cable when it's in desk-stand mode and taking pics is a bit awkward with the flap hanging down.

It's also not leather like the journal case. It's all plastic that looks somewhat leather-ish.
    05-29-11 02:09 PM
    The BlackBerry Journal case is very functional and maintains the slim profile of the BlackBerry PlayBook. If there was a restaurant order taking application with stylus handwriting recognition it would definitely serve the wait-staff - pun intended. With a decent note-taking application the combination of PlayBook and journal case would look like a notebook suitable for students and professionals. So far I have four cases, including the neoprene pouch, and each is suitable in different situations in my opinion.
    05-29-11 02:23 PM
    The journal case makes pressing any buttons a complete chore.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-11 02:28 PM
    Yesaah the other cases in my opinion are more purpose build. I do want the "Book" design. I like the ability of convertible that i can set it on table and have it play a movie or a click when im showing my friends something bu it is a dead end if i want to set it as a picture frame on the desk and charge it. Also The convertible case then is more or less from the same material as lets say a school binder?
    For the leather case, its kind of pricey and i am afraid the string will get in the way of use. I dont even want to touch the damn thing!!!
    05-29-11 02:46 PM
    Both the convertible case and the journal case have a 'book' design. They both open like it's a moleskine / agenda sort of thing.

Pros of the convertible case: you can set it as a 'stand'. Cons of the convertible case: material isn't as nice as the journal case (plastic vs. real leather)

I think the journal case has more of an 'executive' look to it. Honestly I kind of wish I would have gotten it instead of the convertible.
    05-29-11 03:02 PM
    good stuff here. im leaning towards journal as after further looking at the pictures, the faux material does seem flimsy and will show even tje smallest scratches, like the once from a nail or sharp plastic its 10 dollar difference so might as well get journal.
    05-29-11 03:08 PM
    I have both and I think the journal case is much better deal for the money. Convertible case has a much cheaper feel and is only 10 bucks less.
    05-29-11 03:13 PM
    I ordered a journal case after reading posts about it and seeing one in person. It looks really classy. Should be here Tuesday. Walmart.com has them for $40.

Did I really just write Walmart and classy in the same textbox?

05-29-11 03:52 PM
    I am shocked at that! Im from canada so i have to see if he jave same deal

edit: Nothing,
    Last edited by GeneKam; 05-29-11 at 04:03 PM.
    05-29-11 03:59 PM
    The journal case looks a little better, but I bought the convertible case for the stand feature, which find myself using quite a bit.
    05-29-11 04:05 PM
    If i could also charge it while it was standing then its a different story. However its not possible so thats a loosing point
    05-29-11 04:09 PM
    I have both. The journal's leather cover is nice, but the convertible does not feel in any way cheap or poorly made.

They both work identically with regard to opening and folding back the cover to read for example, but i find the additional stand functionality to be a real plus on the convertible.
    05-29-11 04:13 PM
    I have both. The journal's leather cover is nice, but the convertible does not feel in any way cheap or poorly made.

They both work identically with regard to opening and folding back the cover to read for example, but i find the additional stand functionality to be a real plus on the convertible.
    05-29-11 04:15 PM
    I have an Otterbox which is great, but after using it for a few weeks I decided I wanted something a little lighter for carrying around every day. So today I went out and bought this Nook cover:

Amazon.com: M-Edge Trip Jacket for nook, Navy Blue w/Lime Green: Electronics

It was on sale for $17.50 at BestBuy today, half price. Very light and a perfect fit for the PB. I got to see the Journal case and I could not get the buttons to press through the case.
    05-29-11 04:54 PM
    The nook case is nice I d hate how it grips though. i never liked the for corner loop grip thing personally.
    05-29-11 04:59 PM
    Easy!!! Nice trinity! Thats a good easy fix for the button woe! Another plus for the stock blackberry case. The current otterbox is way to damn big so im staying away from that.
    05-29-11 05:12 PM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.

hands down.....journal case....love it....so glad it was the first one i bought...!!!

cheers,heavy

05-29-11 05:36 PM
    If you're looking for a "book" style case, you should consider the Targus Truss Case.

I can't speak from personal experience, but we heard some questionable things about the quality of the stitching on the RIM branded cases, so we ultimately decided on the Targus version. The fact that it was $10 cheaper than the Convertible case was icing on the cake.

It's nice and sturdy and professional-looking, has an elastic band that holds it closed, the power button is freely accessible, and it's surprisingly slim considering that the unit also converts into a stand (like the Convertible case). I don't know if any of the RIM cases have this feature, but you can also fold the open half of the case fully behind the Playbook, so that you can carry it around without the open half flapping around.

Since it's more than $25, it ships free from Amazon, and you can always return it if you don't like it.

Edit: Oh, I thought I would also point out - at first I didn't like that none of the "Book" style cases had access to the USB port when the unit was closed, so that it has to be open when charged. In the case of the Truss Case, at least, I'm actually happy they decided to design it this way, since a big hole cut out of the side of the case would ruin the look of it IMO.
    Last edited by mr_biscuit; 05-29-11 at 06:27 PM.
    05-29-11 06:24 PM
    And then there is the Icon Carbon Click case....has the advantage of being used in vertical position (book) or horizontal position as a stand. Some comments on this one in another thread on cases. Unfortunately it is not leather.
    Icon BlackBerry PlayBook Carbon Click Book (ASD322) : Tablet Cases & Skins - Future Shop
    05-29-11 06:47 PM
    Yesaah the other cases in my opinion are more purpose build. I do want the "Book" design. I like the ability of convertible that i can set it on table and have it play a movie or a click when im showing my friends something bu it is a dead end if i want to set it as a picture frame on the desk and charge it. Also The convertible case then is more or less from the same material as lets say a school binder?
    For the leather case, its kind of pricey and i am afraid the string will get in the way of use. I dont even want to touch the damn thing!!!
    I believe the journal case, like the convertible case, will not allow you to charge the PlayBook on the charging stand, if that's what you had in mind wrt using it as a picture frame. You will have to remove the PlayBook from the rubber gasket before putting it on the charging stand. (please correct me if I'm wrong).
    05-29-11 07:47 PM
    Ive seen both of those too. Icon just makes it look too much like a toy. Targus i had a few issues with laptop bags from them so i never really went back.
    05-29-11 07:50 PM
    As posted in another thread , I have the convertible case and have modified it to be able to use the charging stand without taking it out of the case. I don't see how you could do this with a journal case.

I like the convertible case because it doesn't add much bulk to the PlayBook and it can be a stand. Pics of modification attached. Note: the last pic is with the case on the charging stand. The piece removed does not compromise the integrity of being able to hold the PlayBook in properly.
    Last edited by snuci; 05-29-11 at 07:57 PM.
    jajano and raremage like this.
    05-29-11 07:54 PM
    Nice, I may do that with my convertible as well! Any noticeable loss of rigidity with that bottom clipped out?
    05-29-11 08:27 PM
    Nice, I may do that with my convertible as well! Any noticeable loss of rigidity with that bottom clipped out?
    No noticeable loss of rigidity but I took the case out of the box when I got it, put the PlayBook in it unaltered, saw it didn't fit on the docking stand and broke out the scissors. The hole is just enough to sit on the stand and not any bigger. On the stand, there is absolutely no visible gaps from the front. Since the cut side is in the inner part of the case, you see it without having to look for it either.

I personally think that you'll stretch the black plastic portion around the bezel pulling it out and putting in in each time you use the docking stand so this will be more structurally sound because you will never take it out again.
    05-29-11 08:42 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD