OP what you need to understand is that the management in BlackBerry has changed and you cannot hold current management (Chen and co) responsible for the mistakes of the previous. Chen never made any commitments to the playbook.

I have a playbook and I was disappointed with the lack of support but now, knowing the situation the company is in, it doesn't make sense to devote resources to an area where there is no revenue coming in from. BlackBerry need to continue investing resources where they will make money back from. If BlackBerry invested in the PB as much as people expect then there might not be a BlackBerry in maybe 2 years time. I mean you have seen the significant layoffs at the company.

So I personally don't expect BlackBerry to respond to that petition and regardless I am still looking forward to the Q30. BB10 definitely competes with other OS's unlike the PB that couldn't match up to other tablets in several ways.
    05-09-14 01:07 PM
    And yet my old PlayBook is more functional and efficient than my son's iPad and a Kindle HD given to me by a friend. I've been thinking about picking another up before they're gone.
    I'll have what your smoking. The constant lag, **** poor browser, no new apps for months and months.. More and more flash sites not working on it..

What it has is Hdmi big deal. It's old slow and no updated android runtime has crippled it to a now worthless state. Besides a video player, and web browser that's poor.
    look_alive likes this.
    05-09-14 01:16 PM
    OP what you need to understand is that the management in BlackBerry has changed and you cannot hold current management (Chen and co) responsible for the mistakes of the previous. Chen never made any commitments to the playbook.

I have a playbook and I was disappointed with the lack of support but now, knowing the situation the company is in, it doesn't make sense to devote resources to an area where there is no revenue coming in from. BlackBerry need to continue investing resources where they will make money back from. If BlackBerry invested in the PB as much as people expect then there might not be a BlackBerry in maybe 2 years time. I mean you have seen the significant layoffs at the company.

So I personally don't expect BlackBerry to respond to that petition and regardless I am still looking forward to the Q30. BB10 definitely competes with other OS's unlike the PB that couldn't match up to other tablets in several ways.
    I think this is all part of the same BlackBerry picture, let's face it BB10 has started similar to the PlayBook!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    jh07 likes this.
    05-09-14 01:25 PM
    A few hours ago a coworker popped by and asked if I could upgrade his 9900 to an iPhone and iPad. He said he's been watching how easily our subcontractors review PDF CAD drawings in the field with their iPads, and he wants to be able to do the same.

I perfectly understand and agree with BB's prioritizing, but nevertheless not having a tablet is costing them some customers, especially in business I'm guessing.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    05-09-14 01:39 PM
    if BlackBerry under Chen said "we'll try to do something decent for the PlayBook
    At this point in time, they needn't even try to do anything decent for the Playbook anymore as far as I'm concerned, At this point in time they should do something for the Playbook owners. Acknowledge their existence for starters, accept the petition, no matter what they think of it.
    nealjane1 and PlayBook UK like this.
    05-09-14 01:47 PM
    It's time to lay the cards on the table.

The BlackBerry PlayBook Petition for continued support has raised 785 signatures to date. Not bad when you consider the help we've had from anyone outside this Community = Zero.

I do though now sense frustration from the PlayBook community. Phone contracts are coming to an end. There will be decisions to be made. We all like to keep our keep our Business and personal stuff in sync via one Tablet and phone provider...I know I do for security and ease, similar apps etc.

Will Blackberry's refusal to address the request for continued support from Blackberry's most loyal fans just drive us all away from the brand altogether? Do you look on this campaign as a test to see if BlackBerry is listening? Wants to listen and engage its most loyal. Be honest now...think about it..will this failure by BlackBerry to respond to this campaign be the straw that broke the camels back and you will have to 'reluctantly' walk away and move to another brand with a supported Tablet & Phone setup? I personally have invested a lot in BlackBerry, time and support and a lot of others have and more. I don't want to go anywhere, but I know for a fact the PlayBook us not only what us at stake here. It's the phones as well. We need a response from BlackBerry and representation from CrackBerry before we all walk away from not just the PlayBook...

Ford doesn't make or support the 1965 Mustang anymore. I think that everyone should never buy a Ford again... or move with the times and buy what works best for you and keep using the stuff that still works for you. I use my Playbook daily and the Z30 is my smartphone of choice.
    05-09-14 01:54 PM
    People seem to forget how recently BlackBerry was still selling the PlayBook, especially the 4G version. The general consumer doesn't think about nor care who is in command; they only think about the company itself.

If the tablet was updated to a PlayBook OS 3.0 with updated flash player, updated Air (even with support ending soon, Android runtime (even just the full Gingerbread player from 10.1), Cascades support, bug fixes, and some additional features if would do a few things:
    1. Would much improve BlackBerry's image and perception from customers, especially PlayBook customers.
    2. Would prolong their slight presence in the tablet market - they aren't selling anymore, but other vendors still are.
    3. Would make a lot of users happy.
    4. Would increase revenue from the PlayBook BlackBerry World because it would increase the number of available apps and allow some develops to port their apps. If they also amalgamated the video and music stores with BlackBerry World, it'd also help.

Yes, there would be costs, but I don't think it'd be as much as some people think as the framework is already there with BlackBerry 10. Plus, the perception of BlackBerry's users would be the main benefit to get company.

Posted via CB10
    nealjane1 likes this.
    05-09-14 01:55 PM
    A few hours ago a coworker popped by and asked if I could upgrade his 9900 to an iPhone and iPad. He said he's been watching how easily our subcontractors review PDF CAD drawings in the field with their iPads, and he wants to be able to do the same.

I perfectly understand and agree with BB's prioritizing, but nevertheless not having a tablet is costing them some customers, especially in business I'm guessing.
    There is no reason that a 9900 or BB10 device and an iPad couldn't work together. And I can review PDF CAD drawings on my Playbook just fine. Buy one on ebay and you will have what you need. Cheaper too.
    05-09-14 01:56 PM
    If the tablet was updated to a PlayBook OS 3.0 with updated flash player, updated Air (even with support ending soon, Android runtime (even just the full Gingerbread player from 10.1), Cascades support, bug fixes, and some additional features
    I fully agree the hypothetical Playbook OS 3.0 might have saved the day. But after the announcement that there wouldn't be any BB10 for the Playbook, nobody (neither company nor user base) seemed all that interested in even exploring such a parallel development.
    05-09-14 02:15 PM
    At this point in time, they needn't even try to do anything decent for the Playbook anymore as far as I'm concerned, At this point in time they should do something for the Playbook owners. Acknowledge their existence for starters, accept the petition, no matter what they think of it.
    I see the "free accessories for everyone" initiative under which I got a Z10 and Z30 battery packs, two pairs of headphones, a Z30 flip case and Z30 pouch as my "making amends" for the PlayBook, whether or not that was BlackBerry's intention.

I still think there's little effort for them to bring BB10 to feature parity vis a vis BlackBerry Bridge: the problem with Bridge is in BB10 / Z10 / Z30, not on the PlayBook (which, in terms of participating in the Bridge functionality, is just a "secure Web browser"). I haven't lost hope that BB10 will gain back full Bridge capability as they drive toward being able to connect windows desktop computers to BBM has been demonstrated at developer events... when that kind of functionality is built back into BB10, then full Bridge will be possible... but not just from PlayBooks: from basically anything with a Web browser on it, including iPad and Android tablets.
    05-09-14 02:20 PM
    Those who originally purchased the PlayBook at full price did so over three years ago. Those who bought it recently did so at a fire sale price and at a loss. Do you really expect them to continue to support an old money-losing product when they don't plan on releasing a new tablet anytime soon? Hellz no!

They need to focus on making money. PlayBook will not be making them any money anytime soon.
    howarmat, kbz1960 and Nharzhool like this.
    05-09-14 02:33 PM
    The real story is the people who already left because the PlayBook was **** on by blackberry they were **** on with the tour 9630 the storm a long line of ****s I'm barely holding on if you have a problem with that f*/k off they keep breaking promises and that is why we are pissed the PlayBook is the nail in the coffin only reason I have z10 bought it cheap on ebay we all have battered wife syndrome blackberry beats us and lies to us yet here we stay angry and alone hoping for light at the end of the tunnel do you hear me Chen fix this f***ing thing
    05-09-14 02:43 PM
    I see the "free accessories for everyone" initiative under which I got a Z10 and Z30 battery packs, two pairs of headphones, a Z30 flip case and Z30 pouch as my "making amends" for the PlayBook, whether or not that was BlackBerry's intention.

I still think there's little effort for them to bring BB10 to feature parity vis a vis BlackBerry Bridge: the problem with Bridge is in BB10 / Z10 / Z30, not on the PlayBook (which, in terms of participating in the Bridge functionality, is just a "secure Web browser"). I haven't lost hope that BB10 will gain back full Bridge capability as they drive toward being able to connect windows desktop computers to BBM has been demonstrated at developer events... when that kind of functionality is built back into BB10, then full Bridge will be possible... but not just from PlayBooks: from basically anything with a Web browser on it, including iPad and Android tablets.
    I completely agree with this idea.

A bridge application, with versions that can be installed on ANY platform, which then gives the user the full BB10 experience!
    The full meal deal!
    Dark theme, flick, Bbm, hub, flashing led.
    What we enjoy on our phones, can be had on any tablet, desktop, or laptop.

Yah baby

Sign me up!

My Phone My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    05-09-14 02:46 PM
    NO, lets beat this dead horse named playbook some more until it becomes an unrecognizable heap of rubbish!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-09-14 02:54 PM
    Hirazi, once again spot on!

05-09-14 03:03 PM
    I agree with the "PlayBook is dead, let it die" group. And too be honest BlackBerry has NEVER shown that they really care about users that have been disappointed in a product. Heck they got me the STORM, then the PLAYBOOK... and a year later the Z10 is not where I was lead to believe it to be (developers, developers, developers).

That said, I think the lack of a tablet in their lineup is detrimental to the platform... but then again a tablet without apps is going to sell about as well as the PlayBook did. So until they either get an official solution to the app problem, there really is no reason a tablet would sell any better than any of the phones.

BlackBerry has so many "chicken or the egg" problems.....
    kbz1960 and PlayBook UK like this.
    05-09-14 03:13 PM
    I agree with the "PlayBook is dead, let it die" group. And too be honest BlackBerry has NEVER shown that they really care about users that have been disappointed in a product. Heck they got me the STORM, then the PLAYBOOK... and a year later the Z10 is not where I was lead to believe it to be (developers, developers, developers).

That said, I think the lack of a tablet in their lineup is detrimental to the platform... but then again a tablet without apps is going to sell about as well as the PlayBook did. So until they either get an official solution to the app problem, there really is no reason a tablet would sell any better than any of the phones.

BlackBerry has so many "chicken or the egg" problems.....
    Hopefully this is the beginning of change.

05-09-14 03:31 PM
    Hopefully this is the beginning of change.

Change starts with acknowledging the Petition and engaging with the loyal community.

05-09-14 03:37 PM
    Nope, it's just a lot of drama.
    kbz1960 and Nharzhool like this.
    05-09-14 05:46 PM
    I think this is all part of the same BlackBerry picture, let's face it BB10 has started similar to the PlayBook!

Except BB10 does have much more software support. How many total BB10s have sold vs PlayBook. ?? I'd be surprised if PlayBook is higher.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Shade02 likes this.
    05-09-14 05:50 PM
    a hard business decision was made.....yes it was bad for the few hundred thousands who actually bought a Playbook (about 700,000). BB may have wanted to support it but in the hard cold light of reality they realise it would only lead to more hemorrhaging by the already wounded company. We all know this, to ask BlackBerry to continue to support something that tanked because of so many internal and external upheavals, is more than a bit selfish. I will continue to support BlackBerry because I do understand even with my 700 dollars spent I have wasted far more on partying--even the ones that sucked and it didnt make me not want to continue going. So for you OP and others......suck it up--either move on to another platform if you desire or move on with BB and hope the company becomes well again where they can afford to spend time and money a PB successor. Keeping this up is your choice but just like the choice BB made to release a half-baked tablet---its a very silly move
    05-09-14 10:20 PM
    a hard business decision was made.....yes it was bad for the few hundred thousands who actually bought a Playbook (about 700,000). BB may have wanted to support it but in the hard cold light of reality they realise it would only lead to more hemorrhaging by the already wounded company. We all know this, to ask BlackBerry to continue to support something that tanked because of so many internal and external upheavals, is more than a bit selfish. I will continue to support BlackBerry because I do understand even with my 700 dollars spent I have wasted far more on partying--even the ones that sucked and it didnt make me not want to continue going. So for you OP and others......suck it up--either move on to another platform if you desire or move on with BB and hope the company becomes well again where they can afford to spend time and money a PB successor. Keeping this up is your choice but just like the choice BB made to release a half-baked tablet---its a very silly move
    I think it's over 2 million PlayBooks.

Posted via CB10
    05-09-14 11:52 PM
    Wouldn't it be more productive as a community to provide some form of twilight support in the form of continuing to write apps using the tools we DO have? We don't need to rely on BlackBerry for everything, and trying to do that is not helpful.

Posted via CB10
    katesbb likes this.
    05-10-14 12:00 AM
    This really comes down to broken promises Chen didn't promise but blackberry did and Thor needs strung up I would have left a long time ago if I didn't keep believing they would upgrade it finally but they didn't and it's really just heartbreaking to stand up for something so long to be let down.
    05-10-14 05:24 AM
    I've got a Z10 and a Playbook. I've set my mind clear about my next device. I'm not going to stick with Blackberry. I have been following the releases of new Blackberry devices and i'm disappointed with the direction its going. BB10 OS is great with native BB10 apps but not good with Android apps in general. BB10 devices are normally priced too high and then the crazy price drop make it even worse. That's my 2 cents opinion.
    The Playbook's broken promise was the thing I hate most about Blackberry.
    Gluck Blackberry!!! Thanks for the BB10 OS! I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
    05-10-14 06:13 AM
100 1234