We're often seeing price drops and sales on the playbook that are really insulting to an early purchaser. I paid over twice as much as people getting it today. I lived through the early sluggishness certain aspects and missing features. Why isn't RIM doing anything to compensate me for having paid $500?

RIM should be giving me free stuff. When Nintendo 3DS had an early price drop, Nintendo didn't just say "too bad for you early adopters". They are giving them like 20 free games and some will never be released for other consumers. I say RIM should follow in Nintendo's footsteps. Give me some free premium apps. Give me $50 to spend on whatever app I want. Give me something so I don't despise you, because right now its fail after fail and I, an average consumer, am suffering for it.

I can't be the only one who feels this way. I know some people, one person in particular, will go to the far ends of extreme rationalization to defend RIM. But for the people living in reality, do you agree? Free premium apps or a chunk of cash to be used on apps!
    11-19-11 01:09 PM
    you should just be thankful that you got to participate in the biggest paid beta test ever
    esqlaw, bbfan1040, FF22 and 12 others like this.
    11-19-11 01:13 PM
    i strongly disagree with this foolishness! falling prices is nothing new! you saw the value of owning the pb sooner as compared to latter.
    johnmarki likes this.
    11-19-11 01:15 PM
    There's no value/advantage in owning the pb or any electronics sooner than later, except for bragging rights. It sucks to be an early adopter, as a gadget fans you should have known better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by dennie82; 11-19-11 at 01:24 PM.
    Barljo, frannip and audijeep like this.
    11-19-11 01:18 PM
    It's the price you pay for being an early adopter of anything. RIM doesn't owe you compensation because you chose to buy something when it was released, instead of waiting. That's like saying the manufacturer of your new tv owes you free cable for a few months because the tv went on sale 6 months after you bought it. Just doesn't work that way.
    CracklePot, xweb10, KRol and 9 others like this.
    11-19-11 01:19 PM
    The only reason its on sale is because without the price drop no one will be buying it now..For someone to pay 700 dollars on a 64gig playbook would be pure insanity. Rim cant even release 2.0 before christmas to drive sales up, how sad is that!
    FF22 and IvanAMANation like this.
    11-19-11 01:25 PM
    Oh and lets not use the excuse that its black friday or the holidays.. Theres been price drops on the playbook for a while now and sales still suck
    11-19-11 01:27 PM
    We're often seeing price drops and sales on the playbook that are really insulting to an early purchaser. I paid over twice as much as people getting it today. I lived through the early sluggishness certain aspects and missing features. Why isn't RIM doing anything to compensate me for having paid $500?

RIM should be giving me free stuff. When Nintendo 3DS had an early price drop, Nintendo didn't just say "too bad for you early adopters". They are giving them like 20 free games and some will never be released for other consumers. I say RIM should follow in Nintendo's footsteps. Give me some free premium apps. Give me $50 to spend on whatever app I want. Give me something so I don't despise you, because right now its fail after fail and I, an average consumer, am suffering for it.

I can't be the only one who feels this way. I know some people, one person in particular, will go to the far ends of extreme rationalization to defend RIM. But for the people living in reality, do you agree? Free premium apps or a chunk of cash to be used on apps!
    Yes, you are %100 correct, RIM does owe you. Others will cry "but electronics always drop in value", but the Playbook, with only one variant in existence, is its own special case. Desperation was the impetus for the huge price drop, not natural depreciation or to pave the way for new Playbook iterations.
    esqlaw, FF22, Caymancroc and 3 others like this.
    11-19-11 01:27 PM
    It's the price you pay for being an early adopter of anything. RIM doesn't owe you compensation because you chose to buy something when it was released, instead of waiting. That's like saying the manufacturer of your new tv owes you free cable for a few months because the tv went on sale 6 months after you bought it. Just doesn't work that way.
    Did I say they owed me free stuff? No. Please read before responding - thank you.

RIM should be supporting the early adopters. Without us - the playbook would've been a bigger failure. Giving us free stuff should be the price they pay to keep our enthusiasm despite constant set backs and price drops.
    11-19-11 01:28 PM

boohoo. what do you think this is? you made the decision to purchase this at the price you did. no one put a gun to your head. these types of things happen all the time. it's part of being a smart consumer. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. the company owes you NOTHING.
    CracklePot, KRol, AggreX and 4 others like this.
    11-19-11 01:28 PM
    I wish I could locate one of these big price drops. In the US, all I am seeing is full price so far. I paid full price for my first one, would like to get a second one at a big discount.
    11-19-11 01:31 PM
    From one early adopter to another it was worth it tom me, sure I wish I got it now instead but I have gotten everything I wanted from a tablet with this thing. At this point I just want them to sell so that RIM gets that stock up and lasts long enough to make more playbook iterations!!
    11-19-11 01:32 PM
    I have to wonder if all those with this sense of entitlement apply the same logic in everything else they buy? As mentioned above if you buy early you pay a premium. Do you get equally upset when you see a sale on clothing? Appliances? Never bought a car and it was much much less because a dealer incentives?

This is just getting old.
    bbfan1040 and johnmarki like this.
    boohoo. what do you think this is? you made the decision to purchase this at the price you did. no one put a gun to your head. these types of things happen all the time. it's part of being a smart consumer. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. the company owes you NOTHING.
    Did I say they owed it to me? No, I did not.

But its in the best interests to keep the people who are most enthusiastic about their products happy - and still enthusiastic. You think I, or hundreds of other early adopters, will early adopt anything from RIM again if they don't do something? And early sales and pre-orders are a big thing in sales.

This is the last time I'll correct someone for saying "owed", a much different word than anything I said or indicated.
    you should just be thankful that you got to participate in the biggest paid beta test ever
    Hahaha Perfect.... because thats what the launch Playbook has turned out to be. I bought the only 64gb pb i could find in a 100 mile radius on launch day and felt like I had cheated the whole world... i remember the excitement i felt when i found the only store in the are carrying any unit larger than 16gb, told them to hold it and drove as fast as possible at lunchbreak to snag it.

I am kinda glad I didnt know at the time how much rim was about to screw their loyalist customers (early adopters) for the next 6 months, and quite frankly, im glad i didnt know... I had about a whole months worth of the feeling I hadnt had since childhood at christmastime... and for weeks drastically searched the device for features I thought I merely hadnt found yet....

Six months ago....

It still still doesnt even have basic functions all tablets do and feels kinda like a deflated balloon psychologically. Six months later we are told wait another four months (and I would love to know how they figure that is when it will be ready when all their other predictions, forecasts and deadlines have been wrong).

Beta testers indeed.

SevendustG, bbfan1040 and Blu-Bear like this.
    It sucks that we early adopters didn't get the features we were told the Playbook would have by now, features that would have made the value of the device much higher, but we did learn some valuable lessons:

- Jim Balsillie is a used car salesman at best. His word is worthless and I see why the NHL prevented him from buying into the league as they obviously saw his character was questionable.

- RIM can't hit deadlines and will out right lie to get quick sales on products.

I still like RIM products and bought 4 OS7 devices about a month ago, but RIM itself has done a lot to tarnish its reputation. I sincerely hope Jim's head is on the chopping block after the December earnings call as he provides no value add to the company and RIM will need to sacrifice someone high level to appease the market. Mike L's isn't great, but at least he was the guy that actually came up with the Blackberry and has some tech background, but it wouldn't bother me if he was forced out either.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-19-11 01:33 PM
    I have to wonder if all those with this sense of entitlement apply the same logic in everything else they buy? As mentioned above if you buy early you pay a premium. Do you get equally upset when you see a sale on clothing? Appliances? Never bought a car and it was much much less because a dealer incentives?

Sense of entitlement? No.

Yes, I paid a premium (for a beta). And RIM should be thankful. Thankful enough to give us some compensation!
    11-19-11 01:36 PM
    Sense of entitlement? No.

Yes, I paid a premium (for a beta). And RIM should be thankful. Thankful enough to give us some compensation!
    I made an excellent point in another thread regarding this mentality whereby a person expecting to receive what he was told he was paying for is attacked and accused of feeling "entitled".

In the rest of the retail/consumer world, when you are told product X has features y and z, you have a right to expect those features. Its not entitlement it is responsible business practices. There are even laws to protect you in most cases.

Dont worry, rim isnt getting away with their lousy business practices and (lack of) principals lately. Check their stock price over the last year or more... and read what is happening to them in the retail sector. One third party after another says "no thank you for now, come back when you proved you have changed". Look how far their market share has slid.

Last edited by kb5zht; 11-19-11 at 01:49 PM.
    esqlaw, bbfan1040, FF22 and 1 others like this.
    11-19-11 01:41 PM

Did I say they owed me free stuff? No. Please read before responding - thank you.

RIM should be supporting the early adopters. Without us - the playbook would've been a bigger failure. Giving us free stuff should be the price they pay to keep our enthusiasm despite constant set backs and price drops.
    My bad. You just want them to give you free stuff so you don't hate them for your own choices. Waaay different than saying they "owe" it to you. Carry on with your rant.
    11-19-11 01:42 PM
    My bad. You just want them to give you free stuff so you don't hate them for your own choices. Waaay different than saying they "owe" it to you. Carry on with your rant.
    Cool. Being trolled by a forum moderator.

Giving something for free is somewhat antithetical to giving something because its owed. Please stop putting words in my mouth that weren't there.
    Last edited by esqlaw; 11-19-11 at 01:48 PM.
    adamkesher likes this.
    11-19-11 01:44 PM
    Cool. Being trolled by a forum moderator.
    It happens more than you realize.

11-19-11 01:48 PM

and stupid.
    11-19-11 01:49 PM
    shes definitely a troll
    11-19-11 01:52 PM
    just close this already! its highly offensive.
    11-19-11 01:54 PM
    This thread is FAR from being stupid. The only comparable situation to this I can think of is the Touchpad, and at least the people who paid $500 for the Touchpad at launch were not mislead/lied to about their purchase.

This is a scandal.
    11-19-11 01:56 PM
199 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD