Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Considering a Playbook

I am looking purchasing a Blackberry Playbook around next weekend, but I wanted to ask a few questions about it first. I've never used a Blackberry device before, and own an Android phone. The largest thing that is concerning me right now (and may not be able to be answered) is I see that a large number of retailers do not carry it or have very limited stock. When I went to Best Buy yesterday to check it out and they had a demo unit, but no units to sell. Could this be because of low demand for the Playbook or the possibility of a revision soon coming out? I looked for a Playbook a month ago, but did not purchase and I didn't see a shortage like I am right now. Also, Best Buy has the Playbook listed at $499 again (16GB) and I see one or two other retailers that say the sale is ending today on the Playbook. While I do really like the Playbook, if it goes back up to $499 I cannot purchase it. Currently though it seems that the official Blackberry online store has it at $199 with no indication that it may increase in price so hopefully that will still be there by next weekend.

How does the browser on the Playbook stack up against a regular desktop browser? I've seen it supports flash and HTML5, but are there any known issues or incompatibilities with the browser?

Can you set the keyboard to vibrate on key press or provide some sort of feedback? (Best Buy demo unit I tried wouldn't let me into the settings)

Does the Playbook provide any sort of password security when you attempt to use it? (demo unit I could just tap the screen with the screen off to get back into it)

Are there any major or minor hardware/software problems that are common?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

The price has changed internally. The official price is 199/249/299. Any retailer not reflecting this is marking up, has old non-discounted stock, or has been misinformed.

You can password protect it.

The browser is a near flawless desktop experience, minus occasional browser crashes, some experience them, some do not. Some websites with complicated scripting will not function, but this is quite rare.

You can have the playbook emit an audible click, adjusting that sound level to your needs, no vibration feedback.

Stuck pixels seems to be somewhat common, there are many different things that can go wrong with a Playbook, just like an iPad, Android tablet, ect.
    Last edited by Princepia; 04-01-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    I'm here to help and learn. I will not participate in mudslinging or arguing in any form. Be nice to each other.

Check out my Tumblr which contains photos taken exclusively with the BlackBerry Playbook and follow me!

"Quit that. Pay attention."
    ambarmetta and kennyliu like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I would think the price would still be the same,at least on the Blackberry website if nowhere else. Best Buy has been up and down on prices for months while the BB site stayed lower.
    I find the browser is as good for me as a pc browser,so much so that I rarely drag out my laptop anymore. Yes you can password protect and as for keyboard typing...you can set the noise to tap and popup of letters but I don't believe there is a vibrate option. Not 100% sure on that one but don't think so.
    CrackBerry Abuser

As for problems...I've not had any major ones. Since 2.0 the browser can crash at times but I find it not to be often and you can set it to reopen on last page so the rare times mine does I just open back where I left off. I believe they are working on a fix for that in the next update too......
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts

I paid $310 for a 64GB at Amazon, and they have them for $295 right now. Really: is there a better GB-per-buck deal in computing anywhere? Ever?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

No one knows about Playbook hardware revisions anytime soon, although there have been rumors for months. With RIM going through internal convolutions as it tries to reinvent itself, the real question probably is: will RIM continue to make tablets?

Best advice I can give anyone considering buying a Playbook, is not to consider apps that may or may not be available in the future, but to go to a store that has the Playbook in stock and try it out and make sure it works for you in its present state--7" size, present apps, etc. If it does, at $199, the PB is a great buy.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

As PBGent says, for 200-300 bucks, it's the best hardware out there. Best tablet? Probably not...but depends how much you want to spend.

Also, forgot..are Skype, Netflix, or Hulu important to you? This media cannot be consumed on the Playbook.
    I'm here to help and learn. I will not participate in mudslinging or arguing in any form. Be nice to each other.

Check out my Tumblr which contains photos taken exclusively with the BlackBerry Playbook and follow me!

CrackBerry Genius

PIN

Please look at the Samsung and ipad completely before choosing a PlayBook. If you want the PlayBook then order it from BlackBerry or CrackBerry. You will get a great deal on a brand new PlayBook. All forums are going to tell you why by theirs over ours. I suggest you go to the store and play all the tablets you can find so that when you do my the PlayBook you will know what your getting and be happy with it.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    898 Global Posts

I agree with madman0141, you should try several before you buy. I was lucky to have my next door neighbors have an iPad and a DROID tablet. I borrowed each and went down a list of things I wanted.
    I purchased my Playbook at 499.00 on day one and love it. I love it even more at 199.00 and I believe so firmly that it is such a great deal that I've gotten 21 people to get them (ten this year-OS2 is making a big difference) and they all love them. Half of them say the wish the could watch Netflix on them but the full flash web makes up for a great deal of movie and TV content for free so at the end of the day they are pretty happy and love how functional, powerful and all the free goodies they have received. I canceled my Netflix account and don't miss it at all.
    If you like music you are going to love the dual stereo front facing speakers and the HD cameras are also fantastic.
    Good luck. Either way, I suggest you get a case for whatever tablet you get.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 04-01-2012 at 01:42 AM.
    My BlackBerry. Just love it, love it, love it.
    ambarmetta and Snap51 like this.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    26efe825

Get it you will love it for price you can get it from axiomtelecom they are based at dubai and they ship worldwide they got the 64g for 275$
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts

For a tablet, the "form factor", in a full sense, is what matters to me; namely: size, weight, screen, speed, front-firing loud stereo speakers, cool and quiet operation, quality hardware, and elegant software. There is nothing in the market like it.

I was only waiting for 2.0, and I ordered mine 3 days before it was released.

As for cost, yes: it's "only a tablet" for me -a complementary device; and $300 for a 64GB beaut is a great bargain.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,080 Global Posts

aside from those no name, lousy china android tablet, the Playbook is one of the best value 7" tablet out there in the market (assuming you are seeing the lower price).

One of the reason why I got a Playbook is because of the price, its 7" form factor and its one of the lightest out there.

- Charles
    Follow me on Twitter www.twitter.com/cthaddeus

Phone History : Nokia 3310 > Nokia 8250 > Nokia 3320 > Nokia 7210 > Sony Ericsson T610i > Sony Ericsson W810i > Nokia E71 > Nokia E72 > Blackberry 9700 > Blackberry 9800 > Blackberry 9900 > Blackberry Q10 > Samsung S3 > Blackberry Q10 > iPhone 5S > Blackberry Q10 > Blackberry Passport

PDA History : Compaq iPAQ 3630 > Playbook 64GB > Google Nexus 7 16GB

"Physical keyboard rules!!"
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PBGent View Post
    For a tablet, the "form factor", in a full sense, is what matters to me; namely: size, weight, screen, speed, front-firing loud stereo speakers, cool and quiet operation, quality hardware, and elegant software. There is nothing in the market like it.

I was only waiting for 2.0, and I ordered mine 3 days before it was released.

As for cost, yes: it's "only a tablet" for me -a complementary device; and $300 for a 64GB beaut is a great bargain.
    P.S., There is nothing in the market like it -at any price.
  14. Jamaximum

Why buy a PlayBook and not a 7" android tablet if size is a consideration? You should be aware that the browser crashes a couple times a day depending on use.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts

I have no interest in anything Android, nor in Androidizing my Playbook. But, I have not seen a 7" Android tablet that has the charecteristics I listed in post #11? Or, which one would you consider the closest or the best 7" model?

I have not experienced even once-a-day browser crashes, although navigating with some apps is puzzling or worse.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    241 Global Posts

Yes, this browser crash thing is weird...

First things first, there is two kinds of crashing issues:

1). You're randomly surfing your usual sites and it randomly crashes.

2). Some people have linked to websites here, where if you go, it will crash everytime. Probably due to unsupported scripting or what have you.

Funny thing is, I've been through 3 tablets(due to stuck pixels, it was a fiasco..) and I had problem #1. Now, on my third tablet, I've experienced no random crashes whatsoever.

Sorry to de-rail a bit..but that my experience concerning that issue.

CrackBerry Addict

You should buy it.
    Porsche Carrera S 997.2 -The Ultimate QNX Machine
    Porsche Carrera S 991 (Coming soon)
    CrackBerry Genius

The browser is good. People (including myself) are experiencing frequent crashes. But that should be fixed in the next OS update.

I don't think there is haptic feedback for the keyboard. There is no vibration at all on the PB AFAIK.

As others noted, there is password login. Wish there was the pattern unlock though.

As for hardware issues, the most common are dead pixels, bulge on the back, and light bleeding. But you have a good chance of getting a perfect unit. Software/OS is fluid but is still in its infancy. Great and intuitive UI but some features, e.g. background services are missing. The native (preloaded) apps, especially the email, calendar, contacts, calculator, etc.apps are just amazing.

Long story short, if certain apps that are missing on the PB (there are quite a few of those) are not critical to you, the PB IMO will beat any cheap Android tablet. The UI with swipe/bezel control, the bright screen, sound quality, and overall OS fluidity will not disappoint you.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 04-01-2012 at 02:53 AM.
    Princepia likes this.
  19. Jamaximum

Quote Originally Posted by PBGent View Post
    I have no interest in anything Android, nor in Androidizing my Playbook. But, I have not seen a 7" Android tablet that has the charecteristics I listed in post #11? Or, which one would you consider the closest or the best 7" model?

I have not experienced even once-a-day browser crashes, although navigating with some apps is puzzling or worse.
    PPGent, my question was meant for the OP. Regarding the crashing browser, see poll results:

Does Your Playbook Browser Crash Under OS 2.0?

I guess you are one of the lucky 13%.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    468 Global Posts

There's only 1GB of RAM, so expect crashes if you haven't rebooted in a few days. A lot of flash sites expect a mouse, so eve though the PB supports flash, it's useless half the time. Rendering is perhaps on par with Opera.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,635 Global Posts

Like someone else said, if apps like Netflix and Hulu+ are a must have for you then look somewhere else because that is the playbook's weakness right now. However, there are lots of positives about it such as light weight(easy and not cumbersome to hold while reading books/magazines) great sound (speakers facing you is great) and the user interface is pretty cool imo.
    CrackBerry User

This forum is a great place to come to in order to get advice on technical issues or news related features...it is not a good place to get unbiased opinions on the playbook.
    CrackBerry User

It is totally up to you whether you want one or not. I recommend going to youtube and watching several playbook review videos. It is sad to see that the common negatives were 1) small power button 2) slower browser start up and 3) lack of applications. Well, considered my first PC device was an Intel 486 way back in 1994, I can live with a "small power button". My first internet experience was with a 56k dial up modem, so I can live with a one second slower browser than Ipad 2. As for the small keyboard, I don't use my tablet as a primary typing device for my classes, thats what pen and paper are for. The playbook does everything I need it to do, and I am certain that I only use about 25% of its potential. As mentioned before, shop around, play on other tablets, find the one that fits what you expect from it.
    Thanked by:
    dan_dollar (04-01-2012) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,635 Global Posts

Yeap, forgot about that power button. In reality 90% of playbook owners will tell you that they never turn off their PBs, but put it in standby.
    nccanadian likes this.
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nick944 View Post
    I am looking purchasing a Blackberry Playbook around next weekend, but I wanted to ask a few questions about it first. I've never used a Blackberry device before, and own an Android phone. The largest thing that is concerning me right now (and may not be able to be answered) is I see that a large number of retailers do not carry it or have very limited stock. When I went to Best Buy yesterday to check it out and they had a demo unit, but no units to sell. Could this be because of low demand for the Playbook or the possibility of a revision soon coming out? I looked for a Playbook a month ago, but did not purchase and I didn't see a shortage like I am right now. Also, Best Buy has the Playbook listed at $499 again (16GB) and I see one or two other retailers that say the sale is ending today on the Playbook. While I do really like the Playbook, if it goes back up to $499 I cannot purchase it. Currently though it seems that the official Blackberry online store has it at $199 with no indication that it may increase in price so hopefully that will still be there by next weekend.

How does the browser on the Playbook stack up against a regular desktop browser? I've seen it supports flash and HTML5, but are there any known issues or incompatibilities with the browser?

Can you set the keyboard to vibrate on key press or provide some sort of feedback? (Best Buy demo unit I tried wouldn't let me into the settings)

Does the Playbook provide any sort of password security when you attempt to use it? (demo unit I could just tap the screen with the screen off to get back into it)

Are there any major or minor hardware/software problems that are common?
    there is no official blackberry store rim denies that store is affiliated with them, and they have been know to ship used playbooks as new. anyway the playbook sucks, if you want a 7 inch tablet get a nook tablet 16gb for 249 + 50 dollar gift card then load ICS on it. Or just wait a little longer and get a real tablet with tegra 3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast