A recent post reminded me that I had forgotten to share this.

A while back I was sure the USB connector on my BOLD had finally bitten the dust after two years of heavy use. I ordered a new one but feared replacing it myself. Sending it away was even scarier and quite costly, may as well get a new phone.

I could still charge it by holding the cable just so, so I was procrastinating taking the thing apart since I cant do without it for long.

Then I noticed some chargers worked better than others, so thought maybe it was the charger plug, but I couldn't find a single one that worked, even a new one.

Then I remembered some stuff I had used before for corroded dirty connectors and sprayed some on. Voila! EVERY CHARGER WORKS GREAT, no more intermittency.
    Simply magic.

Get some stuff called Deoxit and spray it on both connectors. Home
    Great stuff! They also have shield sprays and stuff a whole suite of sprays to protect the contacts long term - check it out.
    Great for anything electronic.

I recommend the Dn5
    non-drip,quick dry - safe on plastics

Also, pick up the G5 gold conditioner and protector even if you don't have problems -- to protect the connector for the long term.

Be sparing.

Meanwhile be VERY careful when the USB or HDMI cables are plugged in - there is a lot of torque that can be put on those things and its best not to handle it with the cables attached - I have seen more broken playbook connectors than I care to see on the demos at Best Buy. My local store finally got smart and put it in a rapid charging stand.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-04-11 at 11:01 PM.
    mrbjr and togardergrosse like this.
    09-20-11 12:54 PM
    Damn! Can't find those in my country.. *sigh*
    09-20-11 04:53 PM
    Damn! Can't find those in my country.. *sigh*
    Google deoxit - lots of places to get it - even amazon.
    mrbjr likes this.
    09-20-11 06:22 PM
    bumped due to recent issues...
    10-04-11 04:43 PM
    My PB charging stand seems to have a problem with 3 dot (prongs?) connector. I have to jiggle it for the PB to start charging....

Ideas?
    10-04-11 05:03 PM
    My PB charging stand seems to have a problem with 3 dot (prongs?) connector. I have to jiggle it for the PB to start charging....

Ideas?
    Yes. See OP. It will lubricate the springs as well. Deoxit is good stuff.
    10-04-11 10:14 PM

Ideas?
    Yes, if it's not merely a sticky pin, more drastic action may be required. See my thread on repairing it, if you don't want to or can't return it: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ssible-654156/

As noted there, many cradles and the other rapid charger are defective. You can determine whether yours is by examining the pins closely, at an angle, to see if one is noticeably lower than the others. See the pics later in that thread for examples.
    10-04-11 10:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD