Not being an engineer, I don't even know if this is possible, but could the micro USB port be used as a means of connecting other USB devices to the Playbook? For example, I would love to be able to connect my camera or a small card reader to the Playbook so I could dump photos directly on to it when traveling without using my netbook as the intermediary. I was at a conference last week and received the conference materials on a USB stick but had to wait until I got back to my room to transfer the documents over using my netbook and wifi through a Connectify hotspot.

i realize that some sort of adapter would have to be developed and some drivers written for the Playbook but this seems like such an obviously useful feature that is missing from the Playbook (and a number of other tablets). i'm guessing there is some limitation inherent to the micro USB port, such as lack of a power source, that prevents this from happening?
    11-27-11 12:00 PM
    That limitation exists on most Micro USB ports. Howver, if you look closely at the PlayBook's it's regtangular rather than the trapezoid Micro USB ports normally are. That's because it's a Micro AB port, designed specifically to support USB OTG, which let's a USB port operate in dual mode, both device and host. Currently the limitation on doing this is the PlayBook OS's lack of support. However mine and others' work analyzing the OS 2.0 beta makes it quite clear that RIM is working on adding support. So, you should be able to do this soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-11 12:26 PM
    Thanks, Taylortbb. That is great info. i do hope RIM implements this option as I can see it making the PB all that much more usable and advantageous over other tablets. Cheers!
    11-27-11 01:02 PM
    12-03-11 11:54 AM
    Evidently there's a way to do it as this video is showing a PB acting as a host for an Arduino USB board... http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-board-675105/
    Wolf
    12-03-11 12:04 PM
    Evidently there's a way to do it as this video is showing a PB acting as a host for an Arduino USB board... http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-board-675105/
    Wolf
    I'm assuming that's running an internal RIM version of OS 2.0, which is consistent with it will arrive with 2.0.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-06-11 12:27 AM
    The approach they're using currently doesn't use host mode. It will in future, however, when host mode is supported.
    12-06-11 10:21 AM
    I was wondering the same thing. I would like to hook up a card reader, memory stick or camera (preferably all three).
    Does anyone know if this adapter would work? The web site is usbfever.com, and then under the category of USB cabling. It is the first item at the top of the page.
    It is called a "Super short USB adapter (USB A Female - USB Micro Male)". It doesn't mention what type of micro USB port it is, so it may not be an AB port.

I phoned Blackberry support, and they didn't seem to know if an adapter would work. They didn't mention that the micro USB port is a different shape than the norm. I haven't actually received my playbook yet. Ordered it Nov 24th. Just received my email that it will be delivered Dec 22nd. Looking forward to it very much, so you will probably be hearing more from me.
    12-17-11 01:54 AM
    Even if it did work, which it probably will, how would you know?
    There is no software on the Playbook (yet) to interpret the data signal received through the USB port.
    12-17-11 08:01 AM
    unlikely you'll get any special camera adapter or anything for the playbook. the platform is pretty much dead in the water. no 3rd party accessory maker is going to bother making more things for the playbook regardless of whether these supposed usb features will be added in 2.0 final or not.
    Fortunately for real PlayBook owners, we can ignore garbage advice like this from trolls. The interface is standard, and while you may need an adapter you'll find those follow the standards too. The software should also follow the standards to the point where connecting to many other devices such as cameras (in mass storage mode) will just work.
    12-17-11 09:00 AM
    ::::

Does anyone tried using iPhone 4 native internet tethering thru bluetooth?
    They can pair but the bluetooth tethering grey out & not woking....

::::
    12-17-11 10:23 AM
    This person has done it, and he show's it working perfectly fine. He said he will release the "how-to" soon on his blog.

However, one should "root" their playbook in order to complete this. This for me is enough to do it honestly..

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...aybook-678095/
    12-17-11 01:50 PM
    unlikely you'll get any special camera adapter or anything for the playbook. the platform is pretty much dead in the water. no 3rd party accessory maker is going to bother making more things for the playbook regardless of whether these supposed usb features will be added in 2.0 final or not.
    LOL Good try troll. No 3rd party accessory needed. The interface IS standard and as soon as the OS supports it, the door is open. I'm still laughing!
    12-17-11 03:42 PM
    That limitation exists on most Micro USB ports. Howver, if you look closely at the PlayBook's it's regtangular rather than the trapezoid Micro USB ports normally are. That's because it's a Micro AB port, designed specifically to support USB OTG, which let's a USB port operate in dual mode, both device and host. Currently the limitation on doing this is the PlayBook OS's lack of support. However mine and others' work analyzing the OS 2.0 beta makes it quite clear that RIM is working on adding support. So, you should be able to do this soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Are you saying that OS 2 MIGHT support, for example, phone to PB via micro USB to micro USB ? Doc Neutron
    01-26-12 09:34 PM
    Are you saying that OS 2 MIGHT support, for example, phone to PB via micro USB to micro USB ? Doc Neutron
    Yes. BB phones present themselves as standard USB mass storage devices, so if USB keys work then phones will too. When we'll see USB OTG is an open question, but RIM is clearly working on it. Right now rooted devices can enable the alpha quality OTG support, but it's very buggy. It eats all your RAM and crashes often. There's a good reason RIM has it locked out for now.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-28-12 02:24 PM
    (1) So.....I am "grandfathered in" (no pun intended) with Verizon to unlimited data with my Torch 9850. (2) Verizon wants $50/mo for their Jetpack. What ? Why am I not going to just tether my way to fewer bucks, here ?

(3) Reuters today: [new CEO] "To overcome this [RIM's has lots of older phones in service] RIM has devised a new upgrade plan with U.S. operators to promote phones with the BlackBerry 7 system, which was launched in August last year. All the plans are ready. The carrier agreements are all ready. Now we have to get off the starting grid. Now we need to execute that upgrade program," Heins said.

Was ist denn hier los ? Doc Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-28-12 at 03:38 PM. Reason: better communication
    01-28-12 03:00 PM
    Well, I'm waiting for the 9930 to drop a bit more in price. It was cheaper a while ago but seems to have returned to its prior pricing of 229, I believe, at Verizon. If they satisfy me, I will buy from them!
    01-28-12 04:31 PM
    Hi I have a question BB phones have their own power source so I could be able to connect to it but could I connect like an usb mouse or keyboard?
    11-08-12 07:03 PM
    Hi I have a question BB phones have their own power source so I could be able to connect to it but could I connect like an usb mouse or keyboard?
    I'm not sure I understand your question - but NOT wire usb connection.

BUT, the BRIDGE application on the phone and when paired with a pb, uses a pb phone as a WIRELESS keyboard and/or mouse for the pb. It is called the REMOTE function. It uses Bluetooth. In addition, there are bridge apps for mail, memo, calendar and others.
    11-08-12 07:38 PM
    Hello all, Have the LAST 64gb Playbook Office Depot has within 200+ miles being shipped store to store and am trying to obtain info on what it can or cannot do.

(Note it might not relate to the questions below but I do NOT have a BlackBerry phone to pair the PlayBook with, at some point in the future may be getting some * (Wanted by WIFE)...Samsung SIII's (Android ICS 4.0 as shipped?)... My concerns are connectivity.)

As of today's date 2012-11-09 once the PB 64GB is updated to the latest version of the OS: EG: 2.xxxx

Q: Has RIM added USB OTG "mode" to 2.xxx? ...above posts indicate in the Beta 2.xxx there were "problems".
    (USB OTG, which let's a USB port operate in dual mode, both device and host.)

Q: What devices can be connected to the USB port?.. (I know they would have to be low power devices, and/or going thru a powered hub if high drain)
    EG: Keyboards, mice, external hardrives, flashdrives, cardreaders, Cameras etc

Q: Anyone know the ports power output rating?

Q: Related connectivity question....I would assume via Bluetooth.... keyboards, mice (wired and Bluetooth), Bluetooth headsets etc will pair up properly?.... that the "Bridge App" is not needed and the OS will see standard Bluetooth devices?

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-09-12 at 03:25 AM.
    11-09-12 12:58 AM
    Q: What devices can be connected to the USB port?..
    Q: Has RIM added USB OTG "mode"?
    Question 1- None. You can connect via USB to your PC to transfer files, and can charge the PB thru the USB port, but that's it.
    Question 2- No, but USB OTG should be supported when the BB10 OS drops sometime next year.
    11-09-12 01:14 AM
    RE:
    Q: What devices can be connected to the USB port?..
    Q: Has RIM added USB OTG "mode"? in OS 2.xxx? as of 2012-11-09.

Question 1- None. You can connect via USB to your PC to transfer files, and can charge the PB thru the USB port, but that's it.
    Question 2- No, but USB OTG should be supported when the BB10 OS drops sometime next year.
    Thanks!

So it sounds like Playbook itself can't read a attached usb device? Keyboard/mouse.... Camera, flashdrive, cardreader?
    Last posts on the subject was right at a year ago... Seems like they would have addressed this by now.

Q1: How about Bluetooth devices? Will it be a "problem" pairing non BlackBerry Bluetooth devices?

Q2: Have you seen any "official" release from RIM stating the Playbook series tablets are to receive (a free) update to BB10 OS?

My experience with other vendors with "older" /non-current/ or soon to be replaced devices is that they are excluded from major OS updates...or anything that would extend the functionally or lifespan of the product as the manufacturer wants to sell you the next generation of the item.

Hope the rumor of BB10 OS is true.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-09-12 at 03:59 AM.
    11-09-12 03:40 AM
    I managed to get USB host working back in the time when root was possible on OS2.0 beta, so there's no doubt that PlayBook OS is capable of this feature, the question is whether RIM will allow it, because it could decrease sales of 64GB PlayBooks. But since BB10 devices run QNX too and will have a microSD slot, I believe we will see USB host coming officially later.
    11-09-12 06:43 AM
    I managed to get USB host working back in the time when root was possible on OS2.0 beta, so there's no doubt that PlayBook OS is capable of this feature, the question is whether RIM will allow it, because it could decrease sales of 64GB PlayBooks. But since BB10 devices run QNX too and will have a microSD slot, I believe we will see USB host coming officially later.
    Decrease sale of (*current) 64GB Playbooks? I would think if anything it would increase sales across the board.
    I think if anything seeing a major OS upgrade (BB10 OS) that adds any increased usability /new functions to *current PlayBooks isn't going to happen as is would extend the useful lifespan of the (current) product, thereby cannibalizing sales of the new wiz-bang next generation units with BB10 OS installed from the get-go.

It has been my experience with other vendors it is highly unlikely units running 2.xxx will gain access to BB10 OS upgrade... that the rumors are just rumors. In the end prior (current) customers will not get the new OS.

Question for long time RIM users, those that eat /sleep all that is RIM....

Q1: In the past has RIM rolled out a next generation OS to "last generation" items?
    Q2: Are Playbooks being phased out in the USA market? Are they still being produced?

(It appears it's a EOL item (End of Life) as it's "Out of Stock" in the USA... Google search indicates fire-sale pricing, Staples, Office Max shows no listing, All the Office Depots are showing out of stock.)

11-09-12 09:59 AM
    It has been my experience with other vendors it is highly unlikely units running 2.xxx will gain access to BB10 OS upgrade... that the rumors are just rumors. In the end prior (current) customers will not get the new OS.
    RIM has already stated that the current PlayBook will receive BB10. This is coming directly from RIM.
    11-09-12 10:48 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD