I was wondering if there might be any electronic/hifi buffs out there that might be able to help me with a query regarding connecting my PB to my tv via my AV amplifier!

The problem I am facing is basically lack of HDMI connections on both my tv and amp. I only have 2 on my tv. And on my yamaha HD amp I only have 2 'IN' connections!
    I have a sky box, bluray player and xbox360 connected and wired through the amplifier in various ways to supply me with HD picture and sound!

Basically. I know if I buy a micro HDMI lead it will work if I just unplug say the bluray lead from my tv and replace with playbook connection. But I thought that if I purchased a HDMI 'auto splitter'(3 way) at the same time, I might get the best of both worlds. Both surround sound and HD picture.
    The question is. If I connect the splitter to one of the 'in' connections of my amp and feed the playbook and say bluray player through it. Will it work!!?!
    I don't want to go ahead and waste money on the cable and splitter if not!
    But most of all do not want to cause any damage to my tv,playbook etc!!

Apologies if this all sounds a bit confusing. I have actually confused myself now!!
    02-25-12 08:17 AM
    if the hdmi splitter didn't work they wouldn't be on the market. it will add yet another remote control to the coffee table
    02-25-12 08:27 AM
    Many receivers don't process the audio from HDMI. They simply pass the picture through to the TV. Something you wrote in your post makes me think you may have one of those.
    If that's the case then you would need a 3.5 mm to rca adapter but if your using a splitter that input may already be set to a digital. Lot of buttons to press before you would see and hear the PB.
    deepjoy likes this.
    02-25-12 08:41 AM
    When you say "splitter," I believe you are really referring to an HDMI switcher which allows you to switch between HDMI sources and use one input on your amp, an item such as this one: For only $21.03 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 3X1 Enhanced HDMI� Switch w/ Built-In Equalizer & Remote | Auto & Powered HDMI Switches A splitter would allow you to connect one device (Blu-Ray player, for example) to two TVs or a TV and amp.

I have HDMI switches for my TV and they work great. Just don't get an overpriced one from WorstBuy or something. The place I linked to, MonoPrice, has excellent quality products and prices. I have used them for years for everything from cables to adapters to switches. The cable I carry around in my laptop bag for connecting my PlayBook to HDMI TVs is this one: For only $7.11 each when QTY 50+ purchased - 15ft 34AWG Standard HDMI� Cable With Ethernet - HDMI� Micro Connector male to HDMI� Connector male - Black | Micro-HDMI to HDMI Cables

There are also switches which auto-sense the active input and switch automatically to the highest priority active input. There are also switches with two outputs which can be independently controlled so let's say, for example, you want to play xbox and listen to music from your PlayBook, you could do that or maybe listen to a Blu-Ray movie while using your PlayBook on the TV. Here's a link to all of the switches MonoPrice offers: Audio & Video Converters / Switches

Please let us know if you have more questions. If you provide a more detailed description of how everything is connected, we can provide better advice. For example: Blu-Ray - connected to TV via HDMI and to amp via red/white cables or digital cable. That way, we can get a schematic and see what can be streamlined.
    Last edited by HofstraJet; 02-25-12 at 08:59 AM.
    deepjoy likes this.
    02-25-12 08:55 AM
    You just need a hdmi switcher. I bought one recently on ebay to solve a similar problem when the kids got an xbox for Christmas and our receiver was out of inputs. Look for one that automatically switches to the powered on device.
    deepjoy likes this.
    02-25-12 08:59 AM
    Please let us know if you have more questions. If you provide a more detailed description of how everything is connected, we can provide better advice. For example: Blu-Ray - connected to TV via HDMI and to amp via red/white cables or digital cable. That way, we can get a schematic and see what can be streamlined.
    Model number of the receiver would be helpful as well.
    deepjoy likes this.
    02-25-12 09:06 AM
    Thank you for your replies. Especially Hofstrajet for your very in depth information!

The model of my amp is DSP-AX763 (yamaha). And in answer to Chaddface. It carries HD audio. It was one of the first HD amps produced by yamaha hence only 2 inputs.

I think robsteve has hit the nail on the head. It is a HDMI 'switcher' I am refering to. It automatically detects which source is being fed through it. Be it xbox360,bluray or playbook etc.

The way everything is set up at the moment is that everything is fed to the amp in HDMI ports except the xbox360 (via another input and optical lead for sound. But still produces hd picture not sound as xbox360 does not support hd sound as of yet). And out from the amp to TV again via HDMI lead!

So all in all I cannot see why connecting a 'switcher' to the amp HDMI 'IN' port will not work!
    02-25-12 10:11 AM
    You should be fine.
    I was disappointed to find my old amp wouldn't decode the audio from the PB but relieved to finally find an excuse to buy a newer one.
    02-25-12 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD