Simple question,
    Is it possible to see Playbook's folders from PC if PB is connected to public Windows computer and you cannot do any driver's installation on PC
    For now only folder with drivers is visible from PC.
    I would like to get PB visibility as USB data storage from third party PC.

Thanks
    04-25-12 08:59 AM
    Good question. I don't have access to a "foreign" computer at the moment to check that out.

Would a Windows' computer "suggest" on plugging it - drivers can be installed - or whatever it does anytime a new device is plugged into a usb port? But can you NOT install and still have access?
    04-25-12 10:47 AM
    Good question. I don't have access to a "foreign" computer at the moment to check that out.

Would a Windows' computer "suggest" on plugging it - drivers can be installed - or whatever it does anytime a new device is plugged into a usb port? But can you NOT install and still have access?
    Guest PC can see PB as a new CD drive with only driver and desktop installation soft
    My PB is configured to Share files (ON) in settings
    04-25-12 11:22 AM

Confused, that no solution on so trivial case

How are you (with your "business" PB device) going to copy/paste some important file from your business partner computer? There is no option to install tons of BB communication software on foreign computer.
    Your idea?
    Only emails with huge attachments?

I think RIM has to include an application to allow to share the folder for UNSECURED data transfer between PC and PB

Last edited by 4public; 05-05-12 at 02:37 PM.
    05-05-12 02:34 PM
    I dont think the PC will see all your Playbook files unless you install "blackberry device manager" on the PC. Your PC will however recognise your playbook as a CD drive and if you look at the virtual CD drive which your PC is seeing then you will note the install/setup files for "blackberry device manager".
    Hope this helps.
    05-05-12 05:45 PM
    I dont think the PC will see all your Playbook files unless you install "blackberry device manager" on the PC. Your PC will however recognise your playbook as a CD drive and if you look at the virtual CD drive which your PC is seeing then you will note the install/setup files for "blackberry device manager".
    Hope this helps.
    Customers/clients do not want to install this manager to communicate with my . And it is reasonable.

How to exchange files in that case?
    I only need at list one folder to be shared to PUBLIC (by my initial permission setting in PB settings)
    Last edited by 4public; 05-05-12 at 06:38 PM.
    05-05-12 06:33 PM
    It is unlikely a Playbook will ever connect to Windows without installing drivers.
    Microsoft own devices require a driver install, Zune for example.

You can connect through a wireless network if available.
    Set up a Box.net account, 300 MB per file limit.
    Set up a SkyDrive account.
    05-05-12 10:38 PM
    If they are on the same wifi network you can share via wifi. There's a tutorial here somewhere (recent). Uses the "run" command on the PC.
    05-05-12 11:32 PM
    This is posted all over the forums.

The PB can be accessed wireless as follows:

Go to storage & sharing. Turn on file sharing and wifi sharing.

Look at the PB network ID also in storage & sharing.

In windows explorer, not internet explorer type:

\\playbookid and press enter

Replace playbookid with your network id.

You can now drag and drop to and from the PB.'

No wires, no drivers and it can be password protected. You must use the user name and PB ID if you turn on file & wifi sharing security.

Both are under network identification.
    Last edited by Yankee495; 05-06-12 at 12:32 AM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-06-12 12:27 AM
    This is posted all over the forums.

The PB can be accessed wireless as follows:

Go to storage & sharing. Turn on file sharing and wifi sharing.

Look at the PB network ID also in storage & sharing.

In windows explorer, not internet explorer type:

\\playbookid and press enter

Replace playbookid with your network id.

You can now drag and drop to and from the PB.'

No wires, no drivers and it can be password protected. You must use the user name and PB ID if you turn on file & wifi sharing security.

Both are under network identification.
    And what to do if client/customer does not have wireless network?
    Or does not want to give you wireless secure id?
    This situation is so common
    And the only connection you can have is USB of his desktop without BB manager
    05-06-12 07:57 AM
    The same problem here, no wifi login, only usb connection possible and no administrator rights to install that driver.
    06-05-12 02:45 AM
    Yesterday, I met this problem again
    I met my friend in the train and we had 40 min to talk and exchange pictures
    He had only laptop, I had my Playbook and fortunately usb stick.

Playbook was useless to be connected to my friend's laptop - no stupid software is installed to be secured connected and nobody wants to install anything just for one time usage.
    The only way was to copy pictures to my usb stick. Pictures on my playbook were not copied to my friend's laptop at all.
    Later at home the process to copy new pictures from usb stick to playbook was not an easy procedure - had to use my desktop

Now I know why RIM is lower 10$ per share

The only question will they have time to upgrade OS before Chapters 11 ?

Their security will kill them
    06-05-12 08:07 AM
    The thing is you can transfer stuff directly to a USB flash stick but RIM have just disabled this feature, called 'USB OTG'.

Also, not being able to access USB directly via a computer is exactly the same as how iOS and WP7 work.
    06-05-12 08:13 AM

Also, not being able to access USB directly via a computer is exactly the same as how iOS and WP7 work.
    Exactly what I was going to type. You would need to install itunes to transfer any files over to an idevice(yet no one complains about that). At least RIM gives us WIFI sharing without the need for propitiatory software.
    06-05-12 08:22 AM
    Exactly what I was going to type. You would need to install itunes to transfer any files over to an idevice(yet no one complains about that). At least RIM gives us WIFI sharing without the need for propitiatory software.

Apple has different concept - privacy, not security. Apple is trying to protect its market. Not good time for RIM of doing this (what is RIM's market? )
    As I remember (maybe wrong) iPhone can share pictures without iTunes if it is connected to PC. Plus you can hack iPhone to make it visible for others
    06-05-12 08:45 AM
    And what to do if client/customer does not have wireless network?
    Or does not want to give you wireless secure id?
    This situation is so common
    And the only connection you can have is USB of his desktop without BB manager
    The same problem here, no wifi login, only usb connection possible and no administrator rights to install that driver.
    Sorry guys, but if you cannot gain admin rights to install a driver, how do you expect your particular usb device (being it a key or whatever) to run ?
    In this particular situation, the only solution (if this is a "secure enough" policy bigntz) is to take a DVD with you or use a FTP site (provided port 21 is open).

"cut the legs to a fly, hit the table: wont jump. Conclusion : it's deaf."
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 06-05-12 at 09:05 AM.
    06-05-12 09:01 AM
    If you have a BlackBerry phone, you could transfer the pictures to your phone and then plug the phone in as a USB drive.
    06-05-12 09:05 AM
    If you have a BlackBerry phone, you could transfer the pictures to your phone and then plug the phone in as a USB drive.
    Nice try, really, didn't thought to that solution.
    ... but remember ... no driver install ... even in file sharing mode I suspect it won't work ;-). BUT, maybe the microUSB would do ?
    06-05-12 09:09 AM
    Apple has different concept - privacy, not security. Apple is trying to protect its market. Not good time for RIM of doing this (what is RIM's market? )
    As I remember (maybe wrong) iPhone can share pictures without iTunes if it is connected to PC. Plus you can hack iPhone to make it visible for others
    So what you're really saying is that you want an iPhone/Pad? Why didn't you say this in the first place without all this merry go round?

There have been some viable solutions here and it's been pointed out that there is a common issue amoung the tablet market. Pointing out market share deficiencies isn't going to help anyone achieve anything.
    06-05-12 09:09 AM
    ... but remember ... no driver install ... even in file sharing mode I suspect it won't work ;-). BUT, maybe the microUSB would do ?
    I think the phones just mount as mass storage devices and do not need drivers. I may be wrong though.

If I am wrong, transfer them to the SD card on the phone, pop it out of the phone and then into a card reader. Plug the card reader into the PC.
    06-05-12 09:16 AM
    Where is consistency for RIM products?
    You can do transfer between PC and BB phone without additional drivers and cannot do it between PC and Playbook.
    I think it is just budget money issue for PB project - RIM can do it but no resources
    06-05-12 09:59 AM
    You can do transfer between PC and BB phone without additional drivers
    even the simpliest USB stick needs a driver to be recognized (windows). The same for BB phones.
    06-05-12 10:21 AM
    iTunes is a massive invasive hunk of crap I can live without. You can't even compare the PB driver to that!

As to the problem, it looks like the client is going to have to allow access to something, somehow or go with out.
    06-06-12 01:07 PM
    I think RIM has to include an application to allow to share the folder for UNSECURED data transfer between PC and PB
    Clearly you have NO IDEA about security on smartphones.
    06-06-12 01:40 PM
    Yesterday, I met this problem again
    I met my friend in the train and we had 40 min to talk and exchange pictures
    He had only laptop, I had my Playbook and fortunately usb stick.

Playbook was useless to be connected to my friend's laptop - no stupid software is installed to be secured connected and nobody wants to install anything just for one time usage.
    The only way was to copy pictures to my usb stick. Pictures on my playbook were not copied to my friend's laptop at all.
    Later at home the process to copy new pictures from usb stick to playbook was not an easy procedure - had to use my desktop

Now I know why RIM is lower 10$ per share

The only question will they have time to upgrade OS before Chapters 11 ?

Their security will kill them
    If this is the scenario why you are ******** about RIM good security policies, I suggest next time you and your friend each upload your photos to a Dropbox account for sharing/transfer and use the 40 minutes to check out the girls (or boys) on the train.
    06-06-12 01:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD