I got an email today from RIM about an upcoming seminar. It states the following:

The next BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS will provide a slew of much anticipated features and functions. This session will take a deeper look into the setup and functionality of these new functions and we will also explore updates to Documents to Go, the new look and feel of Video Chat and other new features that make the BlackBerry PlayBook a productivity-packed tablet and a viable laptop replacement
    Last edited by lawguyman; 10-17-11 at 01:55 PM.
    10-17-11 01:52 PM
    By the way, the first of these seminars begins on November 2 and they go through November 22. So, I can't imagine that the update is too far off.
    Superfly_FR, eprklims and limabo like this.
    10-17-11 01:59 PM
    Yes. I just got an invitation as well and was about to point out that the first of these seminars is on November 2.

Also note that the invitation says:

"Updates on the much anticipated new features coming to the BlackBerry� PlayBook� tablet � expect a few surprises!"

Surprises can be good or bad -- Not sure how this should be interpreted based on all the speculation.
    10-17-11 02:02 PM
    Awesome! They've been listening to us for once! Thanks RIM
    10-17-11 02:03 PM
    So the update won't come until after the seminars then?

Hopefully more is told at DevCon and we don t have to wait for these seminars to hear of what's expected to come to OS2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-11 02:05 PM
    This is good news but im a little spooked-call me paranoid- that one of the "surprises" mentioned is improvements to documents to go???

10-17-11 02:06 PM
    Hurrah! \o/

First real confirmation that OS2 functionality shortfall is going to be addressed, and Docs2Go become useful.

And the Android Player is clearly also going to be at DevCon too.

BlackBerry DevCon Americas: Content

Android Apps can be ported to PB while-u-wait.
    10-17-11 02:06 PM

Hopefully more is told at DevCon and we don t have to wait for these seminars to hear of what's expected to come to OS2.

Makes more sense to me that it would be released before. It would clearly be ready if they were showing it off... right?
    10-17-11 02:09 PM
    It does list that section of the talks as the "Playbook Roadmap", which to me means future state. If that is part of the agenda for seminars that go out until Nov. 22nd, that makes me think that the OS v2 update might not be coming for another month or more.. Who knows, though?

I just signed up to attend the one in Atlanta. Anyone else on here going to that one?
    10-17-11 02:10 PM

I'm not sure what format the seminars are in (online, in person etc) but one would hope that if someone is showing you how to do new things on the PB, it would be very handy for you to be able to do it at the same time on your own device, thus improving the learning experience.
    10-17-11 02:11 PM
    Ahh man. I know I shouldn't base conclusions off this type of stuff, but I got excited when I read video chat improvements. Sounds like a new UI though. Doesn't do much good since I never used it. I don't know a single person who owns a PB. I guess we will see. Thanks for the appetizer.

10-17-11 02:12 PM
    Makes more sense to me that it would be released before. It would clearly be ready if they were showing it off... right?
    The title of the section is "Blackberry PlayBook Roadmap." A "roadmap" is forward looking. To me, this sounds like it won't be released at the time these seminars take place.
    Mojoski likes this.
    10-17-11 02:13 PM
    when I read video chat improvements. Sounds like a new UI though. Doesn't do much good since I never used it. I don't know a single person who owns a PB.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com[/QUOTE]

I know same here. I had someone else who had a playbook but returned it because he had problems with 2 different ones. It was ok, but there isn't enough people out there to make it worth it really. I would say for word to go, adding more to it sounds awesome. I use it for school and its lacking hard.
    10-17-11 02:16 PM
    The title of the section is "Blackberry PlayBook Roadmap." A "roadmap" is forward looking. To me, this sounds like it won't be released at the time these seminars take place.
    Those two words don't make sense in conjunction with each other. A seminar implies there's some sort of instruction involved, i.e. they're showing Playbook owners how to use the new functionality... whereas a roadmap is a preview of their future plans. Those aren't the same at all. It's hard to teach someone how to use something if it's not in working condition to do so.
    10-17-11 02:21 PM
    It's actually called the Blackberry Innovation Forum 2011.

I would imagine that RIM intended OS2 to have been released at the time these events took place. Best laid plans . . .
    Superfly_FR, ptiq and Zudeo like this.
    10-17-11 02:24 PM
    Can't you chat from PB to PC (or PC to other devices) with the Playbook? Does the other person have to have a PB?

I know Skype isn't available, but I figure there has to be some other cross-platform video chat software.
    10-17-11 02:28 PM
    Those two words don't make sense in conjunction with each other. A seminar implies there's some sort of instruction involved, i.e. they're showing Playbook owners how to use the new functionality... whereas a roadmap is a preview of their future plans. Those aren't the same at all. It's hard to teach someone how to use something if it's not in working condition to do so.
    The agenda actually does say they'll demonstrate and teach how to use the new features (paraphrasing)... okay, I'll look it up again....

"This session will take a deeper look into the setup and functionality of these new functions and we will also explore updates to Documents to Go, the new look and feel of Video Chat and other new features ...."
    10-17-11 02:29 PM
    Sincerely I hope we don't need to wait until these seminars take place. Things are not precisely good for RIM so I think that they need to surprise us tomorrow when the DevCon begins.
    10-17-11 02:32 PM
    I got the invite and I signed up to attend. I'm not going to read too much into the agenda. For me, the only thing definite here is free coffee & bagels + time away from the office
    ridesno159 likes this.
    10-17-11 02:41 PM
    The agenda actually does say they'll demonstrate and teach how to use the new features (paraphrasing)... okay, I'll look it up again....

"This session will take a deeper look into the setup and functionality of these new functions and we will also explore updates to Documents to Go, the new look and feel of Video Chat and other new features ...."
    The way this is worded seems to indicate that the focus of the seminar is on updates that are already functioning...
    Last edited by newcollector; 10-17-11 at 03:19 PM.
    10-17-11 02:45 PM
    i feel there would be a beta version of the tablet 2.0 OS in the beta zone before it's finally released to the public
    10-17-11 03:14 PM
    i feel there would be a beta version of the tablet 2.0 OS in the beta zone before it's finally released to the public
    Have any previous versions been posted to the beta zone? Just curious.
    10-17-11 03:23 PM
    There have been "beta" versions of this in the hands of a select few testers, at least according to developers that have seen their apps downloaded by OS 2 hardware.
    Since there haven't been consumer released beta versions of any other update, I personally don't see this happening for this update.
    10-17-11 03:23 PM
    The word "seminar" was my word.. They called it a "Forum".. Don't read too much into my use of the word Seminar
    10-17-11 03:24 PM
    I got an email today from RIM about an upcoming seminar. It states the following:
    Quote:
    The next BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS will provide a slew of much anticipated features and functions. This session will take a deeper look into the setup and functionality of these new functions and we will also explore updates to Documents to Go, the new look and feel of Video Chat and other new features that make the BlackBerry PlayBook a productivity-packed tablet and a viable laptop replacement
    Last edited by lawguyman; Today at 02:55 PM.
    I sincerely pray that this is not the case. Though it it would be nice haves...but
    If "updates" for Documents to Go and Video Chat are the surprises from Devcon, I'm sorry to say its very close to Game Over.
    10-17-11 03:26 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD