Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Cynycl
  • 2 Post By bkurant
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Concern about security with my playbook

I am a New playbook user. I use it for work and play, I have it password protected. My concern is with downloading apps that want access to everything on my playbook, why do they need access to my files,plctures? Gps, location not that concerned about. I know I don't have to download them my question is why do they need access.
    Thanked by:
    bkurant (01-10-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

If you go to the wheel icon on the top right of your PB. Then go into security. From there you can set the permissions for each app. I usally turn all my apps to NO. Hope this helps.
    Sent using my PlayBook or my 9930.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    Available upon request.

Depends on the app.

What apps are you concerned about?
    XoXoXo
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    624 Global Posts

Some apps will not run if you do.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I was looking for a browser, so Air Browser was recommended, it wants access to all files, plctures, docs. Why? There were others also wanting this info. If I block it it doesn't work.
    CrackBerry Genius

Well a file browser app won't work if it doesn't have access to your files.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
    Barljo likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    374 Global Posts

Because Air Browser is a file browse not an internet one .
    Josh - Curve 9320 & PlayBook 64GB - BlackBerry Enthusiast - CrackBerry Addict - PlayBook Sideloader
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  

I understand giving access to files so app will work, my concern is when apps ask for access to files they are not collecting info about us and sending it out over Internet?

I agree with the original poster's message. While some apps do need access to certain aspects of the pb's system, some of them just ask for an arm and a leg. Obviously, a File Manager would need access to files. But does it need access to "Personal Info" (or whatever that very Broad Permission is called)? A gps program probably does need access to Location data but would a file manager or a game?

And, yes, some apps will totally refuse to run if you deny some of the Permissions they seek. And as I found out the other day, if you deny some on initial install, you may not be able to access them again. I had denied Kalemsoft and another app recently and could not change them since they did not appear in the Permissions' List at all after that. I had to do a Security Wipe to be able to fix them!
    CrackBerry User

Review the app in App World and give them a half star rating and explain why.

Maybe devs will get the message.
    Splashtop Remote Desktop is an amazing app. Total access to your computer. Use all your programs like MS Office and Quicken. This app kept me from trashing my PlayBook.
    CrackBerry Abuser

This is an important conversation which could really benefit from including both consumer and developer voices. Security creeps me out a little and I know I have a lot to learn about this issue. I think it would make an interesting monthly CB byline. There are a number of other mobile security topics which could be included.
    CrackBerry Genius

My concern is the apps that want the device ID info, mainly because I'm not sure what that consists of. I don't see any reason why this is necessary for any app other than appworld for purchases.

As far as leaving a bad review, these can just be removed/deleted. Try leaving a bad review for one of the Handster apps questioning why the app needs device ID permissions and see how fast they delete that review.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but Im just not close enough to get the job done.

George Carlin
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    I had denied Kalemsoft and another app recently and could not change them since they did not appear in the Permissions' List at all after that. I had to do a Security Wipe to be able to fix them!
    Would deleting the app and reinstalling not have allowed you to accept the permissions once again ?

George Carlin
    CrackBerry User

I don't know how app world works, but all the reviews I have made about security have appeared in the reviews. I don't delete the app until i have checked to see that my review is posted. But then again, I have only reviewed 3 apps.
    Splashtop Remote Desktop is an amazing app. Total access to your computer. Use all your programs like MS Office and Quicken. This app kept me from trashing my PlayBook.

Quote Originally Posted by Cynycl View Post
    Would deleting the app and reinstalling not have allowed you to accept the permissions once again ?
    Nope. I tried, three times, with reboots/restarts. Once it was denied, it was never installed with a Permission entry and never asked for Permissions again. I don't believe it was their fault but an OS issue. As I wrote, another app did it just after that and, it, too, never got listed again even after UN and REinstalls.

edited to add: The other app was Permissions for Pacemaker trial. I denied them on installation and it would not run after that. UNinstall/REinstall did not fix it. Only the Security Wipe fixed it.
    Last edited by F2; 01-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    CrackBerry Genius

Good to know. Thanks.

George Carlin
    CrackBerry User

Default Amazing how few seem to care about security issues

But then we live in the era of Facebook... As one European paper said, Americans are willing to give away their privacy for a free hamburger.
    Not sure if it is so, but still simply looking at the level of interest this post generated, there doesn't seem to be too much concern even among geeks.
    Thank you for the post and everyone's comments.
    It seems that as rim approves more and more android apps (which are the worst offenders) - more and more developers demand access to your device identifier, gps, etc in exchange for the privilege of using their product. In many cases, you also give them your money. It seems a very high price to pay for giving up your privacy. But that is just me.
    Sure, some apps do need access to files or your gps. But now even apps like pb battery watch, epub boook readers, music for meditation etc are trying to grab your data and profit from it. Simply giving them access to Internet doesn't not satisfy these hogs.
    Funny thing - when you try to install one of them, you still get a message (just like on your bb) that the app can be potentially dangerous. But don't worry, says rim - you can always change application permissions later. BS!!!! This new crop (or more appropriately crap) doesn't show up on your apps list. So, unlike your good old bb, pb doesn't offer the same level of security. Why?
    I've been leaving 1/2 star reviews, but it is an uphill battle, as there very few apps (that I am interested in) which do not attempt to grab all the data. I wish app world would disclose in advance such apps, as it is such a waste of time installing the app, leaving a review, deleting it. On to the next app, installing, leaving 1/2.star review, deleting it. Again and again....
    Would love to hear from brains out here - is there a way to run apps with limited permissions, which otherwise force-close themselves?
    F2 and Mr Donut like this.