Hi Guys,

Warning, this is a bit of a long read but hopefully you find it worthwhile.

I've been surfing this forum for several months now and I've finally decided to subscribe as I've been seeing more and more threads as of late that I'd like to chime in on.

I've been following the playbook rumor to release since last summer and was very much let down by the whole launch. When I first started to read the poor reviews on the PB I couldn't believe what a POS RIM had put out. I was truly astounded! So 5 weeks in, reading peoples complaints and compliments, I finally took the time to go to Futureshop and check it out for myself and see what it was like. I spent approx 10 mins with the playbook. Now just so we're clear, I'd never picked a playbook up before nor had I researched what gestures did what.

1-Let me start with this whole flush button situation. The store had 2 PBs on display and both had completely flush power buttons (not raised in the least.) Now from the complaints I've been seeing, I thought this was the first and most important thing I had to examine. Just so there is no confusion. I do not possess magic fairy or elf fingers. I cannot for the life of my type anything on an iphone as the buttons are simply too small for me to get at without hitting the wrong keys all the time. I don�t have giant claws either but I do have above average size hands and fingers by North American standards as I�m 6�2. I managed to turn the device on and off over and over without a single failed attempt on both devices present in the store. People have been complaining that they can�t reach the button with their fingernails, or using a pen or whatever but I�m able to just press the button by simply using the fingerprint area of my finger and applying pressure. How fat are people�s fingers for them to not be able to press this flush button?!?!? I just remember that episode of the Simpsons when Homer became obese and he couldn�t dial the telephone cuz his fingers were too fat! Am I missing something here?

2- There has been an endless back and forth banter between BB and Apple users as to how intuitive or non-intuitive the PB interface is. I have seen a few demos showing off the playbook and its capabilities but I didn�t do any research on how to use it (what gestures do what) I simply picked the device up and started to play with it. I have to say, the UI is VERY intuitive. The touch sensitive bezel is a great way of capitalizing on the lost space to avoid accidental screen touch and just the general all around feel of the UI is beautiful. Scrolling is ultra smooth, mutli tasking is fantastic and web surfing is pretty awesome as well. The ipad 2 was sitting right next to the PB and I spent all of 3 minutes playing with it and put it back down. It gave me the exact same feeling the iphone does. Now I don�t want this to turn into a RIM vs APPLE flame fest but it is my personal opinion that the UI of the ipad is just too simplistic and doesn�t really give me the sense that I�m working with anything more than a child�s toy. I�m not saying I want an overly complicated device but the UI of the PB screams OBVIOUS to me in terms of minimizing, maximizing and how to control screens. I pulled up the, what I refer to as the control panel menu, by accident and a second later I realized how easy it was to make connection changes and setting changes from the home screen.

3- The size: the 7 inch tablet is truly a wonderful form factor for mobility. I found that had they even gone 8inches, I would have enjoyed using it. My opinion of the ipad is a little strange. I found it to be too big and too small at the same time. I picked it up and found that the size of it made it too big carry around easily. So if you�re going to give up that �pro�, why not go even bigger like a 12 or 13inch to capitalize on the screen size. At 12-13inches, you�re still in a decent size to put into your briefcase and you have a much larger screen. The 10 inch screen just seems too small if they want to claim that the 7 inch is too small and useless.

4- This whole apps thing. I never got on the apps band wagon with my personal device. I remember when the iphone first came out and a buddy at work showed me his latest most awesome app he just downloaded that turned his iphone into a cup of beer and when he put the iphone to his mouth and started to tip it, the beer looked like it poured out as if he was drinking! I thought to myself, WOW! What a completely and utterly useless thing to have on your phone! (which is what I told him LOL) 4 years later, it seems useless apps are EXTREMELY popular still and is what is helping apple and droid lead in the market because they can say look at our massive app DB. I haven�t looked at any of the 300 000 apps available but really, how many of those apps are NOT fart apps? Has anyone counted? I mean, why would anyone even download those stupid things. Why would you even count those as part of your apps list? I�m not a business user but there�s a few apps I like to have that come in handy, such as weather, stock market, yellow pages, stop watch. These are things that are useful to me. An app that takes the pic of my face and makes me a zombie? Useless� Now I agree that RIM needs to get developers onboard with the PB and start making some quality apps for it but cut these guys a break. The device just came out, it takes time for developers to evaluate the cost benefit analysis of writing apps for a new device. I don�t think it�s so much how complex it is to write an app for QNX as it is �how much money are we gonna make if we write it� As time progresses and the PB picks up momentum, developers will be more inclined to start writing apps for it. Right now, all they see is droid and apple as having a massive client base and even if they are selling an app at 99cents, if 100 000 ppl from the millions of users download their app, well, they just made 99 000$. I believe many of them are waiting for the sales figures before they start to invest in app development.

5- All that being said, The PB for me would be mostly a web surfing device while I�m out of country. Something to keep me entertained and connected while I�m in my hotel room in some far off obscure part of the world. A way to easily access wifi and stay connected without lugging around a netbook or a laptop. Even watch a movie or listen to some music. But the web interface is what�s most important to me and I want to say to most people (though I may be wrong) and in that dept, the PB hands down is a superior device in comparison to the ipad.

Anyway, I just thought I�d share some of my impressions on my first hands on experience with an ipad and PB. I wanted to wait till a cellular version of the PB was available this summer but after yesterdays experience, I may be heading back to Futureshop or Bestbuy and picking myself up a 64g.
    sf49ers, jajano, mr1030 and 2 others like this.
    05-27-11 01:15 PM
    Great review. The only thing I might disagree with is that the ipad does have a lot of great, high quality apps. But yeah definitely useless ones too. The Playbook is definitely the superior device until you talk apps. It has some good ones but has a long way to go. Angry Birds coming shortly is a great start for some mainstream gaming. When the Playbook gets more of these high quality apps, native pim apps (email, calendar, etc.), and has some bug fixes in things like BB Bridge, I think it will be king.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-11 01:32 PM
    So a comparison of two devices by a kid that owns neither and has admittedly spent 10 minutes on one and 3 minutes on the other. Great review.
    05-27-11 01:45 PM
    So a comparison of two devices by a kid that owns neither and has admittedly spent 10 minutes on one and 3 minutes on the other. Great review.
    I think he did a fair comparison by keeping in mind what his needs are and not necessarily anybody else's needs. He went into the store with an open mind and awareness of the complaints and pluses everyone has been voicing on this forum. Perhaps he was even a little more skew towards the iPad2...

He didn't go in blindly bought the PB and then complained it didn't fit into his lifestyle and needs, which I believe you have and which you ended up returning the PB for.

You have the iPad 2 and it obviously meets your needs, but do you find it necessary to keep coming back to these boards and shooting other people down for their opinions based upon your personal dissatisfacton?

Form is the biggest thing in getting a a tablet. I bought my PB and love it because it's form fits my needs. I would never get a 10 inch tablet even if it wasn't an apple. Why would I? I have fully functional 11" and 15" laptops, not netbooks, but laptops. If I was a mac person and I was looking at either a 10" iPad or 11" mac Air, I would opt for the mac air.
    05-27-11 02:09 PM
    I have iPad 1 btw, I base my opinion of the PB on more that 5 minutes use, like it or not I'm entitled to my opinion, which you might know is based on the app infrastructure rather than the device itself. I personally find a "comparison" of the two by someone that owns neither to be pointless. If I spent 10 minutes with a PB and condemned it i'd be crucified on this forum.

He readily admits that he spent only a few minutes with each device, then goes on to say apps arent an issue even though he hasn't look at the apps available for other platforms!?!? It's a pointless, uneducated comparison. I hope he gets a PB.
    Last edited by xandermac; 05-27-11 at 02:18 PM.
    05-27-11 02:14 PM
    I just remember that episode of the Simpsons when Homer became obese and he couldn�t dial the telephone cuz his fingers were too fat! Am I missing something here?

** If you require a dialing wand, please mash the keypad now **
    Toddboy71 likes this.
    05-27-11 02:17 PM
    I have iPad 1 btw, I base my opinion of the PB on more that 5 minutes use, like it or not I'm entitled to my opinion, which you might know is based on the app infrastructure rather than the device itself. I personally find a "comparison" of the two by someone that owns neither to be pointless. If I spent 10 minutes with a PB and condemned it i'd be crucified on this forum.

He readily admits that he spent only a few minutes with each device, then goes on to say apps arent an issue even though he hasn't look at the apps available for other platforms!?!? It's a pointless, uneducated comparison. I hope he gets a PB.
    I know you complained about the apps and I know that you didn't find what you wanted on the current PB apps, but the OP doesn't seem to care.

Here is his point:

4- This whole apps thing. I never got on the apps band wagon with my personal device. I remember when the iphone first came out and a buddy at work showed me his latest most awesome app he just downloaded that turned his iphone into a cup of beer and when he put the iphone to his mouth and started to tip it, the beer looked like it poured out as if he was drinking! I thought to myself, WOW! What a completely and utterly useless thing to have on your phone! (which is what I told him LOL) 4 years later, it seems useless apps are EXTREMELY popular still and is what is helping apple and droid lead in the market because they can say look at our massive app DB. I haven�t looked at any of the 300 000 apps available but really, how many of those apps are NOT fart apps? Has anyone counted? I mean, why would anyone even download those stupid things. Why would you even count those as part of your apps list? I�m not a business user but there�s a few apps I like to have that come in handy, such as weather, stock market, yellow pages, stop watch. These are things that are useful to me. An app that takes the pic of my face and makes me a zombie? Useless� Now I agree that RIM needs to get developers onboard with the PB and start making some quality apps for it but cut these guys a break. The device just came out, it takes time for developers to evaluate the cost benefit analysis of writing apps for a new device. I don�t think it�s so much how complex it is to write an app for QNX as it is �how much money are we gonna make if we write it� As time progresses and the PB picks up momentum, developers will be more inclined to start writing apps for it. Right now, all they see is droid and apple as having a massive client base and even if they are selling an app at 99cents, if 100 000 ppl from the millions of users download their app, well, they just made 99 000$. I believe many of them are waiting for the sales figures before they start to invest in app development.

He clearly stated he was looking for certain apps, weather which is currently available, I also think there is a stock market app, yellow pages you can go online and bookmark to your home screen so it acts like an app...

You are clearly entitled to your opinion, but so is the OP and you shot him down saying he doesn't know what he's talking after only using the PB for 10 minutes and calling him a kid!
    Dapper37 likes this.
    05-27-11 02:24 PM
    ** If you require a dialing wand, please mash the keypad now **
    I love that episode!!
    05-27-11 02:25 PM
    Its a comparison of two devices, and as such it is misinformed, under-reasearched and quite pointless. Had it been his review of the PB, fine, be as uninformed as you wish, but it isnt.

I know you complained about the apps and I know that you didn't find what you wanted on the current PB apps, but the OP doesn't seem to care.

Here is his point:

He clearly stated he was looking for certain apps, weather which is currently available, I also think there is a stock market app, yellow pages you can go online and bookmark to your home screen so it acts like an app...

You are clearly entitled to your opinion, but so is the OP and you shot him down saying he doesn't know what he's talking after only using the PB for 10 minutes and calling him a kid!
    05-27-11 02:31 PM
    Just a few clarifications. I'm a 31 yo man who has been supporting wireless devices for the last 6 years. I've set up, configured and played with almost every new device that has come to market in that time. Before that, I was in the IT field so I have a computer and operating system back ground.

Perhaps my title was misleading for some and I do apologize for that. But I wouldn’t feel comfortable posting a title of a PB review having spent 10 mins with it. Although spending 10 mins with and yes spending but 3 mins with the Ipad II was sufficient time for me to get a good feel for what the UI is like as well as how it felt in my hand and if it was foreseeable to carry it around with me or not. HENCE The title "Comparative FIRST IMPRESSION of the PB and ipad II"

My main purpose for posting this comparison was to 1st and foremost, see if I would experience the same issues or concerns many users were mentioning on the forum. ie the power button, crashing during multitasking and difficulty figuring out how to use the UI. During my 10 mins with the PB, I loaded up a video, played music and surfed the web with flash content to see if this would affect the device. To be perfectly honest, the extent of my multitasking would probably be limited to music or a game playing in the background while I pop on the web or check my emails. Regardless…

Secondly, I wanted to see how the device felt in my hand in terms of the sizeform factor. ***Side note, the ipad I felt like a brick compared to the ipad II and PB.

The objective of my post was so that I could convey my impressions of the device not having ever used one. I wanted to share my impressions after ONLY reading a ton of negative reviews on it in case any other users were feeling the same way. I had high hopes for this device and I still do. 5 weeks in, I still haven't purchased one, but that's not to say that I won't have one in a few weeks.

I always find it humorous when someone immediately engages a post in a hostile fashion when the poster is describing his own personal experience with the device. It says a lot about a person’s character or therefore lack of…
    Last edited by TheMimic; 05-27-11 at 02:48 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-27-11 02:44 PM
    I'm sorry, but as a comparison it holds zero credibility. Enough said.

05-27-11 02:54 PM

Judging by your response you're bascially saying that if someone handed you say...an apple and an orange and asked you to compare the weight, shape and your general impressions on both, you wouldn't be able to compare the to? hmmm, ok

I think we've all got your general impression. There's really no need for you to post anything else on here. Thanks for your contribution.
    Spawn12 likes this.
    05-27-11 03:00 PM
    The power buttons you describe are the good ones. If you got one of the bad ones, you'd know it. At some point RIM revised the button to make it stick out more -- still appears flush, but at least it's usable.
    05-27-11 03:03 PM
    The power buttons you describe are the good ones. If you got one of the bad ones, you'd know it. At some point RIM revised the button to make it stick out more -- still appears flush, but at least it's usable.
    Good to know, thanks! I was under the impression that the revision raised the button so it was no longer flush.
    05-27-11 03:07 PM

You've said before that the PB has good hardware (perhaps even great) which is what the OP is saying.

You admit you don't like the app ecosystem in PB. Fair enough. No argument there.

However the lack of current apps don't bother the OP.

So how does it lack zero creditibility? Are you meaning it lacks zero credibility in your current emotional view of the products?

Would it be more credible if he agreed with you and said that PB just generally sucks in everything but form factor because to me that is what you are aiming for.

You're very quick to defend your right to your opinions but ready to shoot someone down because their opinion doesn't agree with you... hmm... don't you think that's rather arrogant? I don't envision that you'd want to be preceived as an arrogant person??
    Dapper37 and Spawn12 like this.
    05-27-11 03:09 PM
    BTW, I do have to say, that regardless of how many apps you think are good on the iPad, it's still clobbering the PlayBook in that area. This includes important areas like business, medicine, education, productivity, etc. Write off all the useless iPad apps if you must, but it doesn't change the equation too much.

As far as development (I am a developer), we can't write native apps for the PlayBook right now, regardless of any associated factors. The native SDK won't be available in final form until the fall, which makes many other considerations moot. At that point, when the PlayBook can begin to be a proper development platform, then you can argue over device adoption, business models, and app economics. Right now I don't think they are make-or-break factors like the SDK is.
    Last edited by dfg912; 05-27-11 at 03:13 PM.
    05-27-11 03:10 PM
    BTW, I do have to say, that regardless of how many apps you think are good on the iPad, it's still clobbering the PlayBook in that area. This includes important areas like business, medicine, education, productivity, etc. Write off all the useless iPad apps if you must, but it doesn't change the equation too much.

As far as development (I am a developer), we can't write native apps for the PlayBook right now, regardless of any associated factors. The native SDK won't be available in final form until the fall, which makes many other considerations moot. At that point, when the PlayBook can begin to be a proper development platform, then you can argue over device adoption, business models, and app economics. Right now I don't think they are make-or-break factors like the SDK is.
    I agree that with the fact that there are a large number of apps available currently for the ipad, even if you remove the countless "useless" ones; you're still left with an abundance of very useful apps. My point is more that the total amount of apps is being used as a driving point. Also, one needs to accept that the PB is in its infantile state. The world of negative criticism seems to be focused on how few apps are currently available for the PB when the device just hit the market a little over a month ago (that number has increased in the app store since it's launch.)

When the ipad hit the market, it was the only tablet out there. Developers started writing apps for it right away without the need to weighing it against other platforms. With the current onslaught of tablets coming to fruition, I think it�s quite safe to assume that developers are waiting to see which of the platforms may prove most profitable to them before engaging in any projects. At least, that�s what I would be if I was developing software.
    05-27-11 03:27 PM

This is the character of a typical anti-blackberry..he thinks he is always right and people who thinks otherwise is always wrong..show some maturity like a bb user

05-27-11 05:59 PM
    I only use blackberries. Just not impressed by the PlayBook. I'm not one of the diehard blackberry drones though & I'm able to criticize a brand I admire. This thread though deserved no admiration. Just another veiled "I hate apple" thread & a pointless "comparison". Drink the coolaid if you choose, doesn't matter to me who uses a PlayBook, its their money.

This is the character of a typical anti-blackberry..he thinks he is always right and people who thinks otherwise is always wrong..show some maturity like a bb user

Last edited by xandermac; 05-27-11 at 06:07 PM.
    05-27-11 06:03 PM
    I only use blackberries. Just not impressed by the PlayBook. I'm not one of the diehard blackberry drones though & I'm able to criticize a brand I admire. This thread though deserved no admiration. Just another veiled "I hate apple" thread & a pointless "comparison". Drink the coolaid if you choose, doesn't matter to me who uses a PlayBook, its their money.

What motivate you to come in to shoot pro pb people down again, which part of the OP thread said I hate Apple? - you made it up yourself - you just validated your immaturity. I found it funny when a person came in to say something negative about bb and when another person expressed a different opinion the first person thinks the second person is biased and bb fanboy or anti-apple or whatever you names it when both just expressed their own opinions. Grow up!

05-27-11 06:30 PM
    You obviously don't know what veiled means. Sorry about that.

What motivate you to come in to shoot pro pb people down again, which part of the OP thread said I hate Apple? - you made it up yourself - you just validated your immaturity. I found it funny when a person came in to say something negative about bb and when another person expressed a different opinion the first person thinks the second person is biased and bb fanboy or anti-apple or whatever you names it when both just expressed their own opinions. Grow up!

05-27-11 06:50 PM
    I love Apple for their MacBook Pros and their OS and just recently purchased one of their Wireless Routers, which is fantastic. I love BB and PB for their hardware and communication applications (phone, email, calendar, BES). QNX OS is just Awesome. Once this OS is given enough time to mature and ripen, it will bring RIM to the forefront of the consumer smartphone market.

Their are fanboys that will defend their position till the bitter end! They will lie, cheat and say anything to justify and defend their position and their brand. It just so happens that there are more die hard Apple fanboys than RIM fanboys, but I think this is primarily do to demographics. I am not going into detail here, but it's no secret that a majority of RIM customers are business users and come from the corporate world - enough said.
    05-27-11 07:53 PM
    And he's entitled to his opinion whether you like it or not. what i find amusing is that you took the time to post your condescending garbage in a thread you find of no value for the purpose of insulting him. thanks for confirming my opinion of you. get lost kid.
    05-27-11 08:09 PM
    I didn't bash the playbook. I didn't say a word about the playbook. I criticized a comparison that was poorly researched and misinformed. Obviously people can't handle that. If all this forum is about is singing the virtues of the playbook and spreading misinformation then it has no value to anyone, not even the diehard fans who don't see any fault.

Last edited by xandermac; 05-27-11 at 08:16 PM.
    05-27-11 08:11 PM
    I love Apple for their MacBook Pros and their OS and just recently purchased one of their Wireless Routers, which is fantastic. I love BB and PB for their hardware and communication applications (phone, email, calendar, BES). QNX OS is just Awesome. Once this OS is given enough time to mature and ripen, it will bring RIM to the forefront of the consumer smartphone market.

Their are fanboys that will defend their position till the bitter end! They will lie, cheat and say anything to justify and defend their position and their brand. It just so happens that there are more die hard Apple fanboys than RIM fanboys, but I think this is primarily do to demographics. I am not going into detail here, but it's no secret that a majority of RIM customers are business users and come from the corporate world - enough said.
    I consume the offerings of the entire interwebs. PB FTW!
    05-27-11 08:12 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD