So i have a company cell phone, and I know they can track my data and apps I installed on the phone. But I was wondering, would they be able to tell which sites I visit on my playbook when connected through blackberry bridge. Or are they only be able to track only the amount of data usages.
    10-23-11 05:40 PM
    The short answer is it depends upon which web browser is used. In a BlackBerry Enterprise Server environment you have the BlackBerry Browser, Internet Browser, and WAP Browser. The version of operating system on your BlackBerry smartphone and/or any IT Policy associated with your smartphone. In the days before BBOS 6.x was released the user could select which web browser, however, since 6.x and presumably 7.x the user normally has no control over browser selection because the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) makes the choice: typically, BlackBerry Browser for internal sites (traffic handled by Mobile Data Services (MDS-CS) through BES, and Internet Browser for external sites (traffic handled by wireless carrier).
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-23-11 06:12 PM
    I would assume with the plain old internet browser, they probably can't track the data as it goes straight from the PB to the internet. I doubt RIM got so far with the Bridge implementation to add data tracking to that.

All bets are off if you use bridge browser though. Since that goes through the phone, it more than likely goes through the BES connection.

All that being said though - if you work at a place where you are monitored to the extent that you are worrying about this, then why even risk anything. Just keep work and personal separate - will save you a lot of headaches :P
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-24-11 01:29 AM
    I'd say simply that what you do online when bridged is monitored exactly as if you were doing it on your phone. If you're not bridged (using wifi, not sure about tethering) then the PB is "alone".
    10-24-11 05:11 AM
    All that being said though - if you work at a place where you are monitored to the extent that you are worrying about this, then why even risk anything. Just keep work and personal separate - will save you a lot of headaches :P
    ... so, just be patient and wait for Balance ;-)
    10-24-11 05:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD