If anyone thinks the Playbook, even with OS2 is in the same league as the iPad 2 they are having a laugh. The ONLY thing in its favour is the price. And even that doesn't apply to those who paid full price six months ago.
    As others have said, it's ALL about the apps. Gorillaz made their entire album on an iPad. And it's an amazing album. Can you imagine making an album on the PlayBook? With the Drums app and the Piano app? That right there summarises the huge difference between the two tablets.
    Worlds apart.
    02-25-12 05:47 AM
    I cannot imagine making an album on anything.. Not too sure an iPad would help me make one..

Few other things in Playbook's favour :
    1) Portability
    2) Bridge
    3) Cameras
    4) Speakers
    5) Browser.....
    kozmo68 and genericscissors2 like this.
    02-25-12 05:50 AM
    Yeah, the playbook doesn't have the apps the iPad does. But the app library is growing I'm sure.

Anyway, for a lot of people, a huge library of apps isn't overly important. If all you want is a device to browse the internet, check your emails, update facebook etc., the PlayBook should be perfectly sufficient for your needs. And typically that's what most people I know with tablets say they use them for. Maybe a few games, and the PlayBook does have some games.
    02-25-12 05:56 AM
    I think the OP is sarcastically blaming the iPad for the current music scene
    02-25-12 05:58 AM
    Can I record studio quality feature length albums with this device isn't what crossed my mind when I got my ipad or my pb.

If you had albarns financial resources. Sure you could do it. Any decent developer you offered a couple of hundred quid to would be able to rip the software and repackage it to run it on playbook. The hardware.... Well the ipad brings nothing the Playbook can't handle. And it's cited that they recorded the whole thing on the ipad but always fails to mention key aspects such as the fact they used several thousand pounds worth of audio equipment simply to get sound onto the ipad... Intact when it boils down to it, you could replace the ipad with pretty much anything capable often custom software.

Though since you state its easy ODAAT I look forward to hearing your easily made high quality album you made with just your ipad.
    kozmo68, Barljo and Hamp like this.
    02-25-12 06:15 AM
    Can I record studio quality feature length albums with this device isn't what crossed my mind when I got my ipad or my pb.

If you had albarns financial resources. Sure you could do it. Any decent developer you offered a couple of hundred quid to would be able to rip the software and repackage it to run it on playbook. The hardware.... Well the ipad brings nothing the Playbook can't handle. And it's cited that they recorded the whole thing on the ipad but always fails to mention key aspects such as the fact they used several thousand pounds worth of audio equipment simply to get sound onto the ipad... Intact when it boils down to it, you could replace the ipad with pretty much anything capable often custom software.

Though since you state its easy ODAAT I look forward to hearing your easily made high quality album you made with just your ipad.
    Okay fine. Even if you just compare Garage Band with any music app on the PlayBook it blows it out the water.

My point is, comparing the two without comparing the apps available to both is pointless.

Compare any category of Apps on the PB with the same category on the iPad and the iPad wins and wins and wins. A million times over. Developers are keen to make apps for the iPad. No one is interested in the PB. Even with the Android App Player. The only Android app worthy of making the front page so far has been Wordpress. Really? Is that the best RIM has got?

My point still stands. RIM are never gonna compete with Apple until they realise it is all about the Apps.
    Last edited by ODAAT; 02-25-12 at 06:32 AM.
    02-25-12 06:29 AM
    And this has to do with comedy how?
    02-25-12 06:31 AM
    And this has to do with comedy how?
    I find it amusing that CrackBerry even considered doing a "smackdown" between the two.
    02-25-12 06:33 AM
    The only thing amusing about the smackdown was the points iPad got for web browsing and multi tasking
    kozmo68 likes this.
    02-25-12 06:36 AM
    You do realize that he was just using that as an example, right? The point OP is trying to make is that it's the apps that allow you to do all different types of things. That's why the iPad has been so successful and is used by doctors, musicians, engineers, artists, photographers and yet it's still intuitive enough that my grandma can use it.
    ODAAT and addicted44 like this.
    02-25-12 06:41 AM
    Who cares... iPad looks ugly, the name is ******** and the size is incovenient.
    I'll never even CONSIDER an iPad over my playbook.
    02-25-12 06:41 AM
    I'm sure there are millions of people that can't wait to make a CD using their ipad and fake instruments.

You are right if comparing apps ipad has more. If that is what counts for you then by all means get that sucker.
    kozmo68 likes this.
    02-25-12 06:44 AM
    Beatles made their music with an iPad (Apple records).. Take that Playbook
    kozmo68 likes this.
    02-25-12 06:46 AM
    50% iOS Applications: Garbage
    30% iOS Applications: Scam
    20% iOS Applications: Useful
    Jeovex and kozmo68 like this.
    02-25-12 06:56 AM
    Beatles made their music with an iPad (Apple records).. Take that Playbook
    LOL now that is comedy!
    musical1806, kozmo68 and Jeovex like this.
    02-25-12 06:59 AM
    Love where this thread is going.
    02-25-12 07:09 AM
    I'm waiting for the Gospel singers to chime-in on the music issue, then we could resurrect the http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...church-683814/ thread.
    02-25-12 07:24 AM
    The iPad has so many apps because it cannot do much on its own.
    02-25-12 07:55 AM
    The ipad is just a half assed delivery device forcing companies to develop apps so Apple can take their 30% cut of the pie. People will eventually start waking up and realize that instead of building apps that you need to constantly update on multiple platforms, just build a website that is optimized for mobile platforms. Then you wouldn't need an app for everything you wanted to do with an ipad. Probably would cut the app store inventory in half.
    02-25-12 08:18 AM
    Just out of curiosity, if one has an iPad2, wi-fi only, and only uses the apps that were pre-installed at the factory, and no other app is downloaded by the user, what can the iPad not do in this specific instance?
    02-25-12 08:24 AM
    Just out of curiosity, if one has an iPad2, wi-fi only, and only uses the apps that were pre-installed at the factory, and no other app is downloaded by the user, what can the iPad not do in this specific instance?
    I think the newer models have a fix, or at least a new software version, but when we got ours they couldn't do anything until we connected them to Itunes. Not sure where they have developed from there, but as someone who deosn't want to use Itunes I just gave mine to another family member.

To answer your question, in my example "anything".
    Last edited by Toodeurep; 02-25-12 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Edited to answer the question.
    02-25-12 08:32 AM
    I just tried to write my magnum opus on my toaster. It occurred to me the toaster is never going to compete with my typewriter for writing. Clearly the toaster is inferior.
    02-25-12 08:37 AM
    The ipad is just a half assed delivery device forcing companies to develop apps so Apple can take their 30% cut of the pie. People will eventually start waking up and realize that instead of building apps that you need to constantly update on multiple platforms, just build a website that is optimized for mobile platforms. Then you wouldn't need an app for everything you wanted to do with an ipad. Probably would cut the app store inventory in half.
    Surveys show people want native apps. Of course, developers would rather make HTML5 sites for cross platform use. Unfortunately consumers aren't playing ball.

And a comparison of Apple's and RIM's profit margin and units sold backs this argument up.

I don't even own an iPad (though I do use them at work) but I also live in the real world. You can't compare the two devices.

And no, you don't have to plug an iPad in to anything to get it to work anymore. Everything is done via iCloud. In fact even without apps, it competes well with the PB. Flash is the only thing it wont do, or obviously bridge with a BB but many phones can be turned in to wi fi hotspots anyway.
    02-25-12 08:42 AM
    I just tried to write my magnum opus on my toaster. It occurred to me the toaster is never going to compete with my typewriter for writing. Clearly the toaster is inferior.
    I agree with this analogy. So why are CrackBerry trying to compare the two?
    02-25-12 08:44 AM
    It cannot do anything because it needs to be plugged to a desktop first via iTunes.
    02-25-12 08:52 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD