03-22-13 09:28 AM
    03-22-13 09:32 AM
    Sadly, I think the review is right - the Z10 was supposed to blow everyone away by taking the best of other smartphone platforms and marrying it to a new gesture-based interface, but it could just end up being another interesting footnote in the history of mobile computing. Like WebOS, Maemo, Meego, Symbian... RIM didn't need to come up with a device to appease BB fans, it had to come up with something absolutely amazing to win over Apple and Google devotees. The Z10 isn't it.

And where are the message previews on BB10? On other platforms I can at least see who my SMS and emails are coming from, along with a short preview, but on BB10 I have to open the Hub to find out. It's distracting to have to keep switching away from the current app when a short preview in the notifications area would do.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-22-13 10:15 AM
    Sadly, I think the review is right - the Z10 was supposed to blow everyone away by taking the best of other smartphone platforms and marrying it to a new gesture-based interface, but it could just end up being another interesting footnote in the history of mobile computing. Like WebOS, Maemo, Meego, Symbian... RIM didn't need to come up with a device to appease BB fans, it had to come up with something absolutely amazing to win over Apple and Google devotees. The Z10 isn't it.
    No matter what new mobile platform gets released today, the general critique will say that it doesn't have enough apps to blow away the competition. That's a bit hard to do with the chicken and egg problem.

BB played it right: develop a phone BB fans can be proud of and get them to buy it first. The other crowd, Android and iOS fans, won't easily be swayed, even if there are some better features available on BB10.

And where are the message previews on BB10? On other platforms I can at least see who my SMS and emails are coming from, along with a short preview, but on BB10 I have to open the Hub to find out. It's distracting to have to keep switching away from the current app when a short preview in the notifications area would do.
    That's something that can be fixed. Hopefully it won't take 3-4 years, like copy and paste did for iOS.
    anon5129477, lynmar14 and jtvoxboi like this.
    03-22-13 11:36 AM