I checked the video review on cnet and was actually surprised that iPad2 browsing seems to be much faster than PlayBook. I was expecting the other way round. PlayBook does have a better hardware (esp RAM which is double that of iPad2), so should we expect that with software updates PlayBook browser will become faster than iPad2? I think RIM released the web fidelity video of PlayBook vs iPad1 way too early and gave the too much time for Apple to upgrade iPad harware and software to make a much faster browsing experience than PlayBook.

Link --> Videos - Free video downloads and streaming video - CNET TV
    04-14-11 06:02 AM
    Check anandtech review too, the Playbook browser is very slow at least the version he tested.
    04-14-11 06:09 AM
    Check anandtech review too, the Playbook browser is very slow at least the version he tested.
    What? No they never said that. They said the browser is NOT slow by any means.

There is some descrepancy in the reviews - for example Engadget reported a 2038ms in the SunSpider Javascript test, while Anandtech reported 4095ms. There could have very likely been different builds the reviews were based on.
    Best thing to do is to go down to a store and try it out yourself on launch day.
    04-14-11 06:25 AM
    Here we go.

Disable Flash and the PB and iPad2 are very close.
    04-14-11 06:42 AM
    And I shall

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-11 06:42 AM
    Having used an iPad2 and demo PB I'm calling shenanigans on the 'demo'. I used the 2 side by side and the PB was faster, slightly. But I guess when you do a slanted video demo can you pre-load all the sites in cache on the iPad and make it look blazing fast.
    04-14-11 06:49 AM
    Having used an iPad2 and demo PB I'm calling shenanigans on the 'demo'. I used the 2 side by side and the PB was faster, slightly. But I guess when you do a slanted video demo can you pre-load all the sites in cache on the iPad and make it look blazing fast.
    I highly doubt all of them are making the iPad faster on purpose. They are both very fast browsers. The PB isn't that far behind especially when you look at the Anandtech charts.
    04-14-11 06:55 AM
    Not surprising, RIM has done quite well making the browser compatible. Playbook and iPad 2 are within spitting distance of each other, but a lot of factors could slow the playbook down like low memory or multi-tasking.
    04-14-11 06:59 AM
    The playbook browser is fast. It is slightly slower than the ipad2 browser. But playbook buyers are not going to be thwarted by that.

Send by my Android
    04-14-11 07:05 AM
    I highly doubt all of them are making the iPad faster on purpose. They are both very fast browsers. The PB isn't that far behind especially when you look at the Anandtech charts.
    All my point was is that the difference was not nearly as significant as that video showed. I'm not saying the PB was way faster, or the iPad was way faster, just that the difference I saw in store was very minimal.
    04-14-11 07:32 AM
    All my point was is that the difference was not nearly as significant as that video showed. I'm not saying the PB was way faster, or the iPad was way faster, just that the difference I saw in store was very minimal.
    I hear you. Results can vary. I just highly doubt results were skewed across the board like you were suggesting.
    04-14-11 07:36 AM
    Send by my Android
    ? That doesn't look right

04-14-11 07:38 AM
    SlcCorrado 12:38 PM Today -- [Reply]
    [!!]
    Originally Posted by Ronindan:
    Send by my Android
    ? That doesn't look right :-)
    Therein lies the truth ....

Don't know what version the playbook OS was sporting but in reality the playbook browser is faster. No way ios in any form out does qnx and the processor in the playbook has been tested to be faster than anything on the market.

Finally, the ipad2, it is well known, cannot even use its dual core with the present OS to its full potential.

Me? I think this was a troll post, and all the facts I just listed weren't meant for his eyes but anybody in doubt that is reading this thread. Now do yourselves a favor and quit following it and feeding the op.

04-14-11 07:44 AM
    ^^ Troll post? CNET isn't the only review that shows the PB loading webpages slower.

And what reality are you talking about? Are you saying these reviews were done in an alternate dimension? Is it really that big of a deal that the PB is a few milliseconds/seconds behind in loading webpages? The browser is still really damn fast.

Also, I don't think anyone claimed iOS "out does" QNX. This was a browser comparison, not an OS comparison.
    04-14-11 07:51 AM
    blackberry browsers in generally were always slow... that is point 1, but aside from that, apple had insane amount of time since ipad 1 launch to optimize the browser and what RIM had -5 days? people calm down....
    04-14-11 08:58 AM
    What? No they never said that. They said the browser is NOT slow by any means.
    Look at the page load times on cNet and Anandtech... it's slow.
    04-14-11 09:40 AM
    The earlier browser test video released by RIM few months back comparing iPad1 vs PlayBook in browser speed showed that PlayBook was far ahead. I can't help but think if PlayBook had launched at least a week before iPad2 all the review sites would have compared PlayBook browsing and other things with iPad1 and they would have been wowed by PlayBook's faster browsing experience and that would have helped gain better ratings in reviews for PlayBook (which wouldn't have changed much after the launch of iPad2). RIM missed the bus here.

I really admire the marketing skills of Apple. Nobody was completely sure about the details of iPad2 (esp the significantly improved browsing was a big surprise) and the launch date was also something which actually happened earlier than what most people believed. Samsung was caught off guard to an extent that they actually postponed the launch of Galaxy Tab 2 by couple of months as they felt they will have to redesign it further if it has to compete well with iPad2.
    RIM is a great company but really is not a match to Apple when it comes to marketing. I really hope RIM goes all out and gets the best possible guy as their new Marketing head. May be poach a very important person from Apple's marketing team
    04-14-11 09:56 AM
    Look at the page load times on cNet and Anandtech... it's slow.
    It isn't SLOW it is not AS FAST as the iPad 2

there is a difference,
    The Corvette Coupe (LS3 Engine) isn't slow, but it is slower than the Corvette ZR1 (LS9 Engine).

This is what we are talking about here.

RIM does have work to do on the browser, They have the hardware, they need to get the optimization down!! lets go RIM!
    04-14-11 09:58 AM
    Here we go.

LOL why disable flash when you can have the "full browsing experience"?

this reminds me of the storm a little bit when the initial build's battery lasted like 3 hours. The directions were to turn off GPS, push notifications, and to not use the browser that much. Then why buy it lol?
    04-14-11 10:13 AM
    Here we go.

lol. but that's the chief selling point of PB. if you don't have flash you just have a poor imitation of ipad that is smaller and bulkier with no email calendar pim or any native software.
    Last edited by dutchtender; 04-14-11 at 10:47 AM.
    04-14-11 10:44 AM
    It isn't SLOW it is not AS FAST as the iPad 2

there is a difference,
    The Corvette Coupe (LS3 Engine) isn't slow, but it is slower than the Corvette ZR1 (LS9 Engine).

This is what we are talking about here.

RIM does have work to do on the browser, They have the hardware, they need to get the optimization down!! lets go RIM!
    the reviews say it's 10% slower than ipad AND xoom.
    04-14-11 10:44 AM
    The earlier browser test video released by RIM few months back comparing iPad1 vs PlayBook in browser speed showed that PlayBook was far ahead. I can't help but think if PlayBook had launched at least a week before iPad2 all the review sites would have compared PlayBook browsing and other things with iPad1 and they would have been wowed by PlayBook's faster browsing experience and that would have helped gain better ratings in reviews for PlayBook (which wouldn't have changed much after the launch of iPad2). RIM missed the bus here.

I really admire the marketing skills of Apple. Nobody was completely sure about the details of iPad2 (esp the significantly improved browsing was a big surprise) and the launch date was also something which actually happened earlier than what most people believed. Samsung was caught off guard to an extent that they actually postponed the launch of Galaxy Tab 2 by couple of months as they felt they will have to redesign it further if it has to compete well with iPad2.
    RIM is a great company but really is not a match to Apple when it comes to marketing. I really hope RIM goes all out and gets the best possible guy as their new Marketing head. May be poach a very important person from Apple's marketing team
    remember the "staged Youtube demos" that had the PB running circles around Android and Ipad? this is why you don't rely on "staged youtube demos" and wait for the unbiased reviews to come out.
    04-14-11 10:46 AM
    I'm not sure what more RAM is supposed to do. Unless you're loading a VERY Flash heavy website, you aren't going to use even 512 MB of RAM, let alone put the 1 GB of RAM that the Playbook has to use.
    04-14-11 10:47 AM
    remember the "staged Youtube demos" that had the PB running circles around Android and Ipad? this is why you don't rely on "staged youtube demos" and wait for the unbiased reviews to come out.
    Still waiting to read one of those........
    04-14-11 10:53 AM
    lol. but that's the chief selling point of PB. if you don't have flash you just have a poor imitation of ipad that is smaller and bulkier.
    Bulkier? Do you mean because it's 0.16" thicker? I wouldn't call that "Bulkier" more like minuscule, or barely noticeable. Unless you are referring to something else.
    04-14-11 10:57 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD