When is the ball going to drop in Waterloo? I'm ready to synchronize my countdown clock! I have to know when to rent my tux and make sure my Playbook is fully charged.
    02-03-12 04:11 PM
    If we don't have a release date in 7-10 days, I say its gonna be another miss meaning it won't be out in February at all. The silence is getting.... louder.
    02-03-12 04:19 PM
    lol @ the tux part
    djnshores and steppinghorse like this.
    02-03-12 04:21 PM
    If we don't have a release date in 7-10 days, I say its gonna be another miss meaning it won't be out in February at all. The silence is getting.... louder.
    Well in fact it won't be another miss until feb 29
    Snap51 likes this.
    02-03-12 04:24 PM
    Last I checked, there are 29 days this February. What calendar are you using that has the month end in ten days? They have not been silent. They announced just a few weeks ago that it will be released in February. This is not a new product being released in stores. It is just an OTA OS upgrade. They have all month and have been wise to not give a date. If a server is down on an announced date, or if someone finds a last minute major bug, then them missed their deadline. They have the month to make sure it works. People need to just stop whining and wait a few days. B

TW, if silence is getting louder for you, you might want to see a psychiatrist. There are meds they can prescribe to help you....
    Flexin, MTL, swiftex and 2 others like this.
    02-03-12 04:39 PM
    Last I checked, there are 29 days this February. What calendar are you using that has the month end in ten days?
    Same calender as you and I never said it had ten days.

They have not been silent.
    Yes they have. No release date has been given. They said February, and that is an entire month. What I said was if 7-10 days from now they have not given a release date then it probably won't be out in February at all, and that is what the miss was.

The launch "date" was in Q1 of 2011. How many days were in Jan-Mar of 2011? And did the playbook actually get released on any of them? So what good does it do to give release "months"? None.
    Rello and chuckkdaduck like this.
    02-03-12 04:47 PM
    Not giving a definitive release date is just another one of RIM's ways of stringing it's loyal consumers around.
    "Hey if they got the playbook on launch date, and have dealt with waiting for OS 2.0 this long..."
    jtvoxboi likes this.
    02-03-12 04:52 PM
    After all their other missed date debacles, they need to shut up until the SW is actually launched.
    app_Developer and joesworld like this.
    02-03-12 04:55 PM
    As RIM are asking for Android apps by 13th, I would guess at release of 20th, although to stay with the late theme, I will stick my neck out and guess at 21st Feb 2012.
    02-03-12 04:56 PM
    As RIM are asking for Android apps by 13th, I would guess at release of 20th, although to stay with the late theme, I will stick my neck out and guess at 21st Feb 2012.

Isn't that foretold by the Mayan calender?
    02-03-12 05:05 PM
    Hear! Hear!
    02-03-12 05:08 PM
    I want this update but don't care if they give a date. I just want to see them get it out on or before the 29th to start rebuilding their rep.

James
    djnshores and Thunderbuck like this.
    02-03-12 05:19 PM
    are we there yet?

djnshores and rjedge54 like this.
    02-03-12 05:31 PM
    We will all get a release date 24 hours prior to the launch when bridge for your handset is updated. And I by the way bridge will be updated on the 22nd of February
    Last edited by BB-Bmore; 02-03-12 at 05:44 PM.
    02-03-12 05:41 PM
    I do want to want to point out one thing that does sadden me a bit. I notice that even the die hard BB users and fans are second and third guessing the ability for RIM to get this update out in Feb. That is what is really disconcerting...if we are kicking around these types of comments between ourselves...what is the impact that is had when a person who is on the fence about moving to the playbook or a BB phone sees the negativity of the die hards of the ecosystem?

I personally believe that RIM has one chance to get the beginning of the new QNX led part of their business model moving forward and on the right track with the critics and the naysayers. I think if they miss this date, whatever date it is in Feb...the critics will NEVER let it die....

When even the most hardened BB user can be found doubting and or questioning the company that they support through their purchases then RIM needs to take heed...because without the crackberry heads they would be in dire shape...
    alan510, Shredder00 and compaq1 like this.
    02-03-12 07:30 PM
    I do want to want to point out one thing that does sadden me a bit. I notice that even the die hard BB users and fans are second and third guessing the ability for RIM to get this update out in Feb. That is what is really disconcerting...if we are kicking around these types of comments between ourselves...what is the impact that is had when a person who is on the fence about moving to the playbook or a BB phone sees the negativity of the die hards of the ecosystem?

I personally believe that RIM has one chance to get the beginning of the new QNX led part of their business model moving forward and on the right track with the critics and the naysayers. I think if they miss this date, whatever date it is in Feb...the critics will NEVER let it die....

When even the most hardened BB user can be found doubting and or questioning the company that they support through their purchases then RIM needs to take heed...because without the crackberry heads they would be in dire shape...
    Weeeeeeell, you make a valid point and all I can say is this.... If RIM had got their act together a few years ago, and started making their deadlines, making good on their promises, never started a multi-year long streak of disappointing and turning a deaf ear to the vocalized wills and wants of its customers... die hard customers wouldnt be pushed to the point of dire skepticism as they have been and wouldnt be bashing them now.

It is that simple.
    djnshores and papped like this.
    02-03-12 07:42 PM
    it would be a reasonable question for a RIM customer to ask:

Hey, gents, does it look to youse that you're going to release 2.0 in February as you announced previously?

It would also be reasonable for RIM to unilaterally announce the status of 2.0 release, as follows:

To all our valuable customers who are interested, our previously announced release timeframe for 2.0 is (is not) on track. Right now, we feel the release will be ready by February ___th (March ___th, etc.). We'll update all involved as we know more. Thanks for your patience.
    Last edited by LonelyTylenoL; 02-03-12 at 08:30 PM.
    djnshores likes this.
    02-03-12 07:49 PM
    The silence is deafening and anxiety is building. Customers that have already purchased the Playbook have no choice but to wait it out and hope RIM doesn't miss the February launch date. Prospective buyers will turn away and look elsewhere. As sales dry up, the Playbook's value becomes nearly worthless, the app store closes, and the pressure spreads to RIM's other products. The future without OS 2.0 is pretty bleak indeed. This is a critical time for RIM - a do or die time!

Boy, did I just depress myself! Here's hoping for the best to happen!
    02-03-12 08:25 PM
    RIM should use the realease to its advantage. Announce the realease date. Have a release event. But build up as much hype as you can in the meantime.

I hope we'll hear something more definite from the upcoming DevCon.
    02-03-12 08:30 PM
    personally i like my playbook, using it right now to write this, and the update will only make it better sooner or later. I only bought it to use as a web browser and for that its great plus it only cost me $100. that being said this will likely be my last RIM device as i'm tired of waiting and will never spend my cash on another one of their products. They have rubbed me the wrong way and there overall level of product support is terrible. Besides the playbook I have a 9800 Torch which has more issues than I care to list here. The one thing I will mention is that one app I actually want for the torch is a podcast app and RIMs stopped working back in October! There are countless user comments on app world regarding this problem yet RIM has done nothing about it. Eitherway the Playbook is a great device, depending on what your expectations were, but their customer service is brutal. Funny how its the little things that make or break your opinion of a company and their products.

Oh and I should also mention that I live in the Kitchener Waterloo area and have many friends employed at RIM. If anything I should be more pro RIM than the average user. Now hurry up and give my Playbook BBM so I can ditch my Torch for something better
    02-03-12 08:32 PM
    I would like to see it released if just to silence the constant whining. Just once it would be nice to login into CB and not see yet another thread about the release date...sheesh. People aren't happy when RIM does talk and now they're unhappy when they don't say anything brewing dire consequences.
    elphie28 likes this.
    02-03-12 08:34 PM
    Let's say they announce the release date. If they do so then one of two things will almost definitely happen:
    1. Major bug discovered just before release that makes them either have to delay the release or release with bug
    or
    2. Software done early, but if they release it early then people will expect them to be early next time and will be sad when they don't

I would much rather have working software, possibly slightly earlier, being released 1-26 days from now than getting buggy or later software but knowing the exact date it'll come out on. It'll get here when it gets here, and why care about the date? Only care that it does get here. It's more fun this way. This way I'll just look at my phone and have to spend 5 minutes scrolling through my social feeds to get past the "OS2 is here!", then 4 and a half hours later (when I'm on WiFi) I download OS2. If I know the release date then I have no fun that day because I have to plan the whole day around staying as close as possible to WiFi.
    02-03-12 08:41 PM
    ooooooo we should have a contest. we all pick a date. all those who got it right get a free app of choice lol.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    spike12 likes this.
    02-03-12 08:46 PM
    They gotta keep to the date...otherwise people will take Mr ketchup as a joke
    02-03-12 08:49 PM
    the big date that is floating around is Feb 17th. apparently people are being told by RIM tech support and cst support that that is when it will be available for download but like everything RIM hasnt comment on the rumors of this.
    02-03-12 08:52 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD