Our first announcement in days cmon RIM. You need to do a little more to excite playbook fans especially over the long wait.I think we migh are realears of features every 2-3 days or so from now.does anyone think this is a good start compared to the same old need for speed and browsing videos, or do we need more?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-09-11 06:36 AM
    As if everyone was not excited already, I think that they have played as smartly as they could have on this, everyone is at the edge of their seats, salivating and drooling all over the place. Pavlov were are you, can you hear us now?
    03-09-11 08:04 AM
    everyone is at the edge of their seats, salivating and drooling all over the place.
    If by everyone you mean blackberry fans, then yes. If you literally mean everyone, then no. Walk up to your average person they don't even know what a playbook is besides what football teams use. And that's not their fault. That's RIM's for non existent marketing and web-only leaks.

Reminds me of the Nexus 1. A very good phone with specs the first of it's kind. But if no one knows about it, then it doesn't matter.
    Kerms, Machzy, Setanta and 1 others like this.
    03-09-11 08:20 AM
    yes thats true.even blackberry users dont know what the playbook is.they need it to pop up on tv sometime or the news
    03-09-11 08:36 AM
    As if everyone was not excited already, I think that they have played as smartly as they could have on this, everyone is at the edge of their seats, salivating and drooling all over the place. Pavlov were are you, can you hear us now?
    That's one interpretation.

My experience with RIM has fostered a cynical viewpoint of them lately. Perhaps they don't have anything to convey right now. I am second guessing them but it would seem if you have more astonishing news and a close to finished product you would be all over the news with it. All I have heard lately is a 3-4 hour promo at a nightclub in Austin (!?!?).

My GAWD, what is up with that? Do a youtube search on the playbook and you get the same thing all the way down the results list... Videos of the Playbook held by a phantom pair of hands scrolling through windows and a narration where somebody brags on and on at how innovative and ground breaking it is. A few videos may be just splash screens of scenery flying by intermixed with pictures of people smiling and jazz music in the background.

Is it just me or does it really starting to look like they have nothing to say, and maybe something to hide?

03-09-11 09:31 AM
    well yeah there making up for the lack of apps but it truly is an exceptional platform.i would be pleased if i saw alot of old stuff on the playbook.things ported from desktops or other platforms.creating new app concepts is hard..it should market itself as it can do all that the others can do just better and at the same time.
    03-09-11 09:45 AM
    I've never seen a company talk about one of their new products for so long without making it available to consumers. Starting to seem very fishy to me.

I don't understand how you can talk and talk about how great a product you will eventually have available. This BS has been going on for months, if it's as great as they say it is then it should have been released a long time ago.

03-09-11 09:47 AM
    well yeah there making up for the lack of apps but it truly is an exceptional platform.i would be pleased if i saw alot of old stuff on the playbook.things ported from desktops or other platforms.creating new app concepts is hard..it should market itself as it can do all that the others can do just better and at the same time.
    That can't be it can it? We have been told there will be over 4,000 apps at launch and at some point android compatibility.... And I'm not an app hog so its not that big a deal to me but I understand others love them.

I've never seen a company talk about
    one of their new products for so long
    without making it available to
    consumers. Starting to seem very fishy
    to me.
    I don't understand how you can talk and
    talk about how great a product you will
    eventually have available. This BS has
    been going on for months
    You have my agreement but this is the wrong crowd to express that consern to. There are people here that would defent RIM if they talked about it for 2 years without a release.

I agree these days about it being "fishy". Sure looks like there is something wrong, not just due to a lack of release but a lack of news . Real news and announcements. If you bother with promos but have nothing more than "woo hoo! Here is a preinstalled app that allows you to do something you could do without it anyway" then yes, something is bad wrong.

Last edited by kb5zht; 03-09-11 at 09:55 AM.
    03-09-11 09:49 AM
    Well, if the Marvell reports are accurate, and I'm tending to believe them, then that's a heavy part of the delay. I'd guess that we basically have twice a long of a wait as was originally predicted by RIM due to the switch in Processors.

03-09-11 10:09 AM
    Well, if the Marvell reports are accurate, and I'm tending to believe them, then that's a heavy part of the delay. I'd guess that we basically have twice a long of a wait as was originally predicted by RIM due to the switch in Processors.

Wow, that's an interesting perspective. RIM may have fully intended on it being out by now and said it would, but now how do they tell a consumer base they have been pumping up for a while now it may not be out for weeks yet? Months?

So the original dual core processor that was suppose to be better than the one in the xoom isn't in the game plan now?

03-09-11 10:17 AM
    It seems the original Proc was the Marvell Armada 628. There were issues getting the hardware and QNX software to play well together. It was taking too long, so RIM went to TI for the OMAP4430. As for the difference in processors, I can't answer. I'm not that knowledgable. I'm sure a google will give you some info.

03-09-11 10:29 AM
    It seems the original Proc was the Marvell Armada 628. There were issues getting the hardware and QNX software to play well together. It was taking too long, so RIM went to TI for the OMAP4430. As for the difference in processors, I can't answer. I'm not that knowledgable. I'm sure a google will give you some info.

You can look online at speed tests; the omap processor apparently outperforms the dual core processor in the xoom. Major feather in rim's cap.

03-09-11 10:36 AM
    yes thats true.even blackberry users dont know what the playbook is.they need it to pop up on tv sometime or the news
    i get your point, but honda advertised the honda jazz 2012 hybrid model, my dad rang em up and guess what! not out yet! he went elsewhere.

whats the point in spending all that tv advert time money if you dont have a product to sell? thats why theres no ipad2 ads on tv yet either.

I've never seen a company talk about one of their new products for so long without making it available to consumers. Starting to seem very fishy to me.

I don't understand how you can talk and talk about how great a product you will eventually have available. This BS has been going on for months, if it's as great as they say it is then it should have been released a long time ago.

nothing fishy, they said 2011, and its 2011, they told everyone there when they expected it to be available, just because our natural human instinct is to want everything right now, its not fishy if they`ve already said an approximate timescale.

really it does amaze me, do you want them to get it right or get it out right now? as im sure they are waiting for the build to be spot on. c`mon youd all be shouting them down like crazy if the OS was laggy/crashed and a fail, so why hating for them wanting to make it good?
    03-09-11 10:56 AM
    You can look online at speed tests; the omap processor apparently outperforms the dual core processor in the xoom. Major feather in rim's cap.

If nothing else works with it, then that "feather" is all but worthless.
    03-09-11 10:59 AM
    i get your point, but honda advertised the honda jazz 2012 hybrid model, my dad rang em up and guess what! not out yet! he went elsewhere.

whats the point in spending all that tv advert time money if you dont have a product to sell? thats why theres no ipad2 ads on tv yet either.

nothing fishy, they said 2011, and its 2011, they told everyone there when they expected it to be available, just because our natural human instinct is to want everything right now, its not fishy if they`ve already said an approximate timescale.

really it does amaze me, do you want them to get it right or get it out right now? as im sure they are waiting for the build to be spot on. c`mon youd all be shouting them down like crazy if the OS was laggy/crashed and a fail, so why hating for them wanting to make it good?
    I just received an email from Apple that the Ipad2 will be in stores on the 11th.
    03-09-11 11:01 AM
    I agree with you here, but the other side of the argument is, why is it taking this long to get it right. Personally, I'm patient and I can wait until it IS 100% ready for prime time, so I'm not complaining myself. But I think the point - or one of the points - of some of these folks is that it was announced 6 months ago, followed by virtually no information other than a target release of Q1 2011. To some, that gives the impression that RIM is winging it and doesn't really know when it's going to be released; because if they did know more, they should have started publicizing it more by now.

Me, I'm assuming they know what they're doing; but at the same time it's easy to see why that opinion may not be shared by all.

03-09-11 11:12 AM

That's just dumb. You never seen a "coming soon" advertisement? So for every product that comes out companies ALWAYS wait until it's available to advertise it? Just put it on the shelves without putting letting people know it's coming? The first product of it's kind that you ever made and you won't put anything out there? Ok you keep thinking that
    03-09-11 11:17 AM
    My personal thoughts are that no one but blackberry users know about it; and only SOME blackberry users are interested in the device.

There are a lot of people who don't care about a tablet, first off. Second, you have people like me. I've been sitting around for 6 months excited about this, and now at the end of it I just kind of don't care anymore. I'll go try one out in the store, but dropping $500-$600 on something that's taken this long would just make me have buyers remorse. It's a huge waste of the consumer's time and I frankly resent RIM for keeping us waiting. If I had known 6 months ago this wouldn't be out until March/April of 2011, I would've either bought another tablet or something else I needed (technology or not) instead of saving for something that now doesn't hold too much interest for me, especially when there are still SO many questions unanswered... biggest ones being tethering and that was my biggest reason for buying a playbook in the first place.

The world doesn't stand still, RIM. The people who needed a tablet bought one, the blackberry fans aren't ALL interested in a tablet, and the ones that are are also partially splitting off from this idea because it's taken absurdly long; I know I'm not the only one.

I think they are effectively narrowing their market by waiting and doing this drip campaign and not telling anyone any information they need to know - I know personally, if I can't tether my blackberry without an extra fee... no playbook for me. If I'm only using a tablet at home to watch movies in bed, I might as well get an iPad with a bigger screen.. and I've NEVER bought an Apple product.
    Last edited by Momo13Drums; 03-09-11 at 11:23 AM.
    tking213 likes this.
    03-09-11 11:20 AM
    They announced this thing way too early.

03-09-11 11:21 AM
    If by everyone you mean blackberry fans, then yes. If you literally mean everyone, then no. Walk up to your average person they don't even know what a playbook is besides what football teams use. And that's not their fault. That's RIM's for non existent marketing and web-only leaks.

Reminds me of the Nexus 1. A very good phone with specs the first of it's kind. But if no one knows about it, then it doesn't matter.
    I'm so sure that you done just that, walked up to random people and asked what the PlayBook is. If you have not done this (and I mean to a lot of random people) that you have no clue what the average person knows. They have been showing the Playbook on daytime Tv the last couple weeks and I am sure there are a few million people that have heard of or now seen the playbook. So this means you do not watch any daytime Tv or you only look for news on the web.

03-09-11 11:25 AM
    My take on this........

RIM announced this tablet with features they are just not yet ready to deliver on. In other words, to date, they cannot deliver a product that they claimed they would deliver!

Lets be honest....not one of us has actually used/played with a finished model, so all we are stating here in these forums regarding the PlayBook is basically what we have been "told".

In the time being, other manufacturers are coming out with their own devices, and those already out are being improved upon. And we loyal RIM customers/users are left pretty much in the dark as to what is going on, with nothing left to hold onto but our frustration!

Not a very good way to keep ones customers!
    03-09-11 11:31 AM

Does Windows Phone 7 ring a bell. They announced that OS at CES 2010 and 9 months later (that would be Nov) the first phone was released in the US. New Os requires time for devs and all the coding to make sure its has a good show on release sorry but things does take time.

The reason android and apple can put out products right behind each other they are not building a new OS just optimizing there old crap to fit something new. Once people start to understand that one point then you will be able to see it for what its worth.

03-09-11 11:34 AM
    The reason android and apple can put out products right behind each other they are not building a new OS just optimizing there old crap to fit something new. Once people start to understand that one point then you will be able to see it for what its worth.

I always have to laugh when I read statements like this.

Obviously "old crap" sells, and it sells very well!
    03-09-11 11:39 AM
    I agree with you here, but the other side of the argument is, why is it taking this long to get it right. Personally, I'm patient and I can wait until it IS 100% ready for prime time, so I'm not complaining myself. But I think the point - or one of the points - of some of these folks is that it was announced 6 months ago, followed by virtually no information other than a target release of Q1 2011. To some, that gives the impression that RIM is winging it and doesn't really know when it's going to be released; because if they did know more, they should have started publicizing it more by now.

Me, I'm assuming they know what they're doing; but at the same time it's easy to see why that opinion may not be shared by all.

Actually that is my belief- and for the same reasons. One thing is for sure, time waits for nobody; in a little over 3 weeks from today we will know if we were right and be vindicates or have a lot of crow to eat. At this point I stand by my prediction that this thing will not be out by March 31- whether online or at stores. Preorders don't count; some places have been taking oreorders for months now I hear.

03-09-11 11:49 AM

I want them to get it right (don't really care, I have no use for any tablet). But they have had months to get it right. They've been talking this thing up for so long now, saying it's the greatest tablet out there. But now this rumor of switching processors? How can it be the greatest thing out there if they can't get the software and processor to play together nicely?

That is the definition of fishy... I believe they said Q1 of 2011, I know that's not here yet, but it's very close and RIM hasn't said anything about if they will actually meet that deadline.

If they were waiting for this build to be "spot on" and have an OS that wasn't laggy and crashed, then what have they been teasing us with for the past few months? A fake? That just does what they want to show off, and nothing else? RIM should'nt have talked up, and showed off their tablet so much if it wasn't even close to final production.
    03-09-11 11:51 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD