Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Cloud Storage for PlayBook

Which Cloud Storage service do you use regularly with the PlayBook? Do you find that you use a third party app or just the Browser app to access your documents/images?
    CrackBerry User

Files and Folders works great for me.
    jope28 and Innovatology like this.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Mazo View Post
    Which Cloud Storage service do you use regularly with the PlayBook? Do you find that you use a third party app or just the Browser app to access your documents/images?
    Is there actually any proper clients for any of these services
    Can you tell me which ones, I'd love to have access to something like this!

J
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts

I use Box for pics and music because it gives a good 50GB of storage but limits the file size for each file to around 100 MB (so big files can't be used on a free Box account). Box has a native app.

I use my smaller 2.5 GB Dropbox account for moving single files temporarily both large and small. I also use it to store password databases that I can sync across multiple devices. You can sideload Dropbox as a converted android app.

I use Files and Folders for file management because it can also access those cloud services in the UI
    Carrier controlled updates is the worst smartphone spec of them all
    Nexus 4
    Innovatology likes this.
    CrackBerry User

I find Files and Folder very useful since i use Dropbox and Google Drive and it's also a good for file management. But i would rather like a full sync app.
    Innovatology likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ruichambel View Post
    I find Files and Folder very useful since i use Dropbox and Google Drive and it's also a good for file management. But i would rather like a full sync app.
    A full sync app is one of my biggest gripes with the playbook, it would not be so bad if you can access and edit documents in the browser but that just does not work at all with all the screwed up text entry. Both google docs and skydrive have this problem.

I was a big evernote user and even that app has the same problem and i refuse to sideload the android app,which i have heard does work. Because i never ever got any reply to any of my support ticket requests i have canceled my premium account.

My daily usage for document stuff now is dropbox but i just have to remember to sync the files i have changed before i go out of wifi range.

I would pay good money for an app that would just auto sync google docs or skydrive.
    CrackBerry User

@twdawson: i complete agree with you.

I've tried the native and the android version of evernote and they both suck. The native version is useless because of the problems with the predictive text. The android version crashes.

Until there's a full sync app i'll continue to use Groovy Notes for text documents that manual sync to dropbox and Files and folders for other files.
    calles and Innovatology like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

I find files and folders to be a bit sluggish so i just use the docs to go app to edit my documents and upload them to dropbox with the bluebox app.

All the apps on my playbook have to be native, if i wanted android apps i would of just bought an android tablet.

My problem with files and folders is when i edit a doc on my PB and then upload it to dropbox, i get a "copy of " in front of the doc i have just uploaded which is no good to me at all so until files and folders sorts that one out then i will continue to use bluebox which does not have that problem.
    Last edited by twdawson; 05-08-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Innovatology likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Yes, Files and Folder isn't perfect but since i use dropbox and google drive it's useful.

I too prefer native apps since all the android apps that i had tried crashed on my playbook
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

I find accessing google drive through files and folders to be hit and miss, i get a funny directory structure. All my files are in folders on google drive but when i look at them on the PB all i get is a list of files with no folder structure.
    The google drive app crashes my pc on shutdown, so i use skydrive and dropbox on windows 7.

I wish stuff just worked, as i seem to be fixing problems with software instead of just using the things.
    CrackBerry User

Files and Folder is a little slow accessing Google Drive but that is the only "problem" that i find with the app.

I love my BB playbook but some times i find myself spending to much time "fixing" apps problems or trying to discover ways to do simple things.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

It would be a perfect app for me if they fix the "copy of" problem.

The online document editing used to work great when i first bought the PB before the update to 2.0. I might have to look elsewhere for my mobile office solution in the future, but want to give RIM a chance to sort tbings out, hopefully the next update will improve tbings.
    CrackBerry User

I was considering upgrading to a Evernote premium account but the faults with the native app and the lack of support to the BB community is a shame. I hope Evernote reconsiders and upgrade the app in the near future.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

Well they should because a premium account is not cheap. They have lost my money until they sort themselves out.
    Again used to be a fully working app before the 2.0 update, yes it didn't have as much function as the other versions on ios and android but it did work.
    CrackBerry User

I use Microsoft SkyDrive through the Playbook native browser (make sure you access PC site, not mobile).

Actually works fantastic! Even the "online" Office apps work!
    hubermania, sdk1 and peterco like this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pbbd002 View Post
    I use Microsoft SkyDrive through the Playbook native browser (make sure you access PC site, not mobile).

Yeah but you have to turn off some keyboard settings to make text input useable and scrolling is problematic as well.
    CrackBerry User

Just email yourself the document so you can get when you want and on computers
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

Should not have to mess around like that, emailing docs back and forth will be a pain.

We need native apps as people keep saying we are moving to the cloud, but not with the way things are at the minute.

Personally I am waiting for a windows 8 arm based tablet and if the Playbook is no better at this stuff then it's goodbye RIM.
    I need stuff that works, my Playbook stays at home now and I have gone back to the netbook for the portable office needs.
    CrackBerry Addict

Default SugarSync accessed via Files and Folders

I use SugarSync and access it via Files and Folders

I have set up DropBox for a client, who also uses Files and Folders for access

Local Cloud (my MyBookLive Western Digital NAS) is accessed via the PB browser (works well for streaming videos) - thanks to kcmagnet who posted this advice for local access to a MyBookLive
    PB network question

Unfortunately I cannot access the Western Digital WD2GO Remote Cloud service via my PB (I think it needs a Java applet on a Mac or PC to run)
    BigAl_BB9900

devices:
    Q10 (SQN100-3) - EE (UK) - BB10 OS Software Release 10.2.1.2977 - BB10 OS Version 10.2.1.3247
    PlayBook 64Gb - 2.1.0.1917 (and another spare PB 64Gb)
    and a new Doro PhoneEasy 622 for everytime the new Q10/EE4G knacks up.... (btw Doro make great simple big-button handsets for seniors and for those of us with reduced feeling in our fingertips.....)
    Thanked by:
    robtanz (05-11-2012) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

For my local network stuff i use lan file explorer, best app out there for streaming movies and music.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    210 Global Posts

I've been using Box a lot lately, not the best one but it does the job
    CrackBerry User

Native apps are not the answer, BETTER Native apps from cloud storage providers are needed.

I've used the native app for Dropbox on my android for a long time. It does not sync automatically, and you have to individually upload each file (except camera photos :S). (that's file, not even folders;uploads ONLY a single file!)

Currently, no "App" not even iOS or Android, has all the features of a desktop client like autosync. (atleast none I am aware of)

I did however read a work around somewhere in crackberry where sugarsync had a autosync with the playbook.
    sdk1 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    459 Global Posts

Do you have a link to that post.
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by pbbd002 View Post

theres a skydrive app for the PB that was ported from android that works wonderfully (Cloud explorer for SkyDrive). I use it extensively to share documents and pictures from my work phone to the PB.

I also use the native bluebox app to share music, photos and video with my brothers.
    Last edited by 416to604; 05-08-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo
    CrackBerry Genius

I use blue box for storage and dropbox for hosting. I've had problems trying to share file in bluebox. For dropbox I just bookmarked it in my browser. So it just added 1 click. I use air browser cause its easier to manage files with. From time to time I'll use ghost commander.
    It's one thing for the world to think your a dullard and another to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast