Is there a way to clean up the playbook as you would a computer by disk cleanup or defragment?
    Ben Bubble likes this.
    07-23-11 11:29 AM
    Is there a way to clean up the playbook as you would a computer by disk cleanup or defragment?
    There is one easy way to clean it up. Do a back up using blackberry desktop software, then while the playbook is still pluged in, do a restart on the playbook. Then wait for it to power up. When it powers back up, a pop up box appears on your desktop. Hit the middle button, which does a clean install that takes it back to factory condition and loads up the latest OS. This process takes about an hour. After that, you can restore your playbook, using your back up file. This will cure anything that is causing you grief.
    07-23-11 11:42 AM
    Thanks. I will try it. I am not having any grief. Just wanted to run it at full capacity. Loving the Playbook with the Bridge.
    Schlymer likes this.
    07-23-11 11:50 AM
    currently i cant backup my pb apps.. it showed up 0
    but i can backup the setting.. any clue how to solve this problem?
    and if i do clean install would setting data restore my save data for apps such as nfs and other games/apps?
    07-23-11 01:45 PM
    There is no reason to. You defragment PCs because they have a physical storage media that has to wait for data to come under the disk head. If all related data is in contiguous space, retreival goes faster and you get a speed boost. Solid state storage doesn't have that latency. Getting data always takes the same time no matter where it is.

As for cleaning up, the only reason to do that is if you are running out of memory. That means deleting apps or running fewer at the same time if you are experiencing slowdowns with a lot going on.
    storm_fan2009 and fmanuel like this.
    07-23-11 01:57 PM
    There is no reason to. You defragment PCs because they have a physical storage media that has to wait for data to come under the disk head. If all related data is in contiguous space, retreival goes faster and you get a speed boost. Solid state storage doesn't have that latency. Getting data always takes the same time no matter where it is.

As for cleaning up, the only reason to do that is if you are running out of memory. That means deleting apps or running fewer at the same time if you are experiencing slowdowns with a lot going on.
    Not sure I agree - fragmentation is when files get broken into pieces and scattered by deletions of other files leaving holes in the contiguous space so they are no longer contiguous? Then the next writes try to fill those holes regardless of whether it is a mechanical head or a solid state random access causing fragmentation during the write process because it is never a perfect fit. It still takes more time to piece the files together from the scattered pieces rather than read/write them continuously in one contiguous space. . Not an expert, but this is how I understand it. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 07-23-11 at 07:12 PM.
    07-23-11 07:06 PM
    Not sure I agree - fragmentation is when files get broken into pieces and scattered by deletions of other files leaving holes in the contiguous space so they are no longer contiguous? Then the next writes try to fill those holes regardless of whether it is a mechanical head or a solid state random access causing fragmentation during the write process because it is never a perfect fit. It still takes more time to piece the files together from the scattered pieces rather than read/write them continuously in one contiguous space. . Not an expert, but this is how I understand it. Am I missing something?
    No, it doesn't. Files are ALWAYS broken into chunks. So lets say you have a file of 5000 bytes, and your system files things in 1000 byte chunks. You have 5 chunks of 1000 bytes each.

The OS knows where it put the first chunk of your file, and each chunk has info pointing to the next. So you grab chunk 1, look at it to find chunk 2, go get that, and so on. This always happens whether the chunks are contiguous or not.

The difference is that on a physical media like a hard disk, you have to position the head and wait for the disc to spin to the point where the next chunk starts, then read. That is called latency. In solid state storage there is no such thing. You just open the next address, which you'd have to do anyway. You cannot just suck up all 5000 bytes - you must always take 1000 byte chunks. You just don't have to wait for the heads and disc.

Note my numbers are wrong, because I don't know the size the OS uses in this case. And there is overhead (addressing for the next file segment and so forth) which makes the byte size bigger than actual data, so a 5000 byte file will be bigger than that on disc. Also implied is that if you have a chunk of file that is 1 byte long, it will still take a 1000 byte piece of disc.

So fragmentation is a worry only with mechanical storage where you have to move hardware to find file pieces. In solid state storage it makes no difference.
    chiefbroski and snackberry26 like this.
    07-27-11 09:24 AM
    No, it doesn't. Files are ALWAYS broken into chunks. So lets say you have a file of 5000 bytes, and your system files things in 1000 byte chunks. You have 5 chunks of 1000 bytes each.

The OS knows where it put the first chunk of your file, and each chunk has info pointing to the next. So you grab chunk 1, look at it to find chunk 2, go get that, and so on. This always happens whether the chunks are contiguous or not.

The difference is that on a physical media like a hard disk, you have to position the head and wait for the disc to spin to the point where the next chunk starts, then read. That is called latency. In solid state storage there is no such thing. You just open the next address, which you'd have to do anyway. You cannot just suck up all 5000 bytes - you must always take 1000 byte chunks. You just don't have to wait for the heads and disc.

Note my numbers are wrong, because I don't know the size the OS uses in this case. And there is overhead (addressing for the next file segment and so forth) which makes the byte size bigger than actual data, so a 5000 byte file will be bigger than that on disc. Also implied is that if you have a chunk of file that is 1 byte long, it will still take a 1000 byte piece of disc.

So fragmentation is a worry only with mechanical storage where you have to move hardware to find file pieces. In solid state storage it makes no difference.

Sorry to bump an old thread but just need a response to something. Do you ever noticed how a new pc performs better than a older one. Even if you delete everything, defragment it, run clean ups, it will never proferm like a freshly installed OS. My playbook from time to time get very slow and sticky and the only way to fix it is to do a security wipe. Deletting apps, pics, movies, browser history seems to make a little difference but never back to perfection or even anywhere near close. I guess what the original poster was asking; is there a tool or app out there that can clean up the playbook without having to do a security wipe because obviously the files are being corrupted.

This is particularly important to me because everytime i do a security wipe i loose all my app data. All my important notes are usually gone because I still havent figured out how to back up apps. Im not sure if it makes a difference but all my apps are sideloaded.
    02-16-13 06:37 AM
    As long as this thread is back....

A few users have found that they get a PAUSE in their VIDEO recording as the pb gets more and more full. This may be the case of the pb not being able to "write to disk" the video as it is being recorded. One or two users have found that cleaning stuff off the pb could fix the problem. Obviously, this is speculation based on some observations.....

Currently, the bb software does not backup sideloaded android apps or their data. You can try doing it manually by drilling down in the pb's Misc/Android folder and finding the various folders/files that may be related to you apps. Not easy - since the stuff is scattered over a variety of places in that folder.
    02-16-13 09:51 AM
    picking this up if I run defrag+ on mine it tells me I am 80% fragged then cleans it up telling me I have 19 repaired and 49 fragged files just on what it calls the phone memory (delay of 10 mins before I can do the sd card.) - like a pc I'd have though it was easier to read an unfragged drive than a fragged one to save processor time.

on a similar vein and without starting a new thread - is it possible to remove entries from your uninstalled list in my world? it seems to remember everything so you end up uninstalling apps you cant remember were no good or only trials. doing a fresh install is only any good if don't put the crap you didn't want back on it in the first place
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    12-24-13 09:58 AM
    *Sigh* I was about to suggest the use of cotton cloth with a little bit moisture of baby perfume...

Reading the entire thread is really a must...

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 10:36 AM
    there is no need to defrag a solid state drive...
    12-25-13 12:43 PM
    picking this up if I run defrag+ on mine it tells me I am 80% fragged then cleans it up telling me I have 19 repaired and 49 fragged files just on what it calls the phone memory (delay of 10 mins before I can do the sd card.) - like a pc I'd have though it was easier to read an unfragged drive than a fragged one to save processor time.

on a similar vein and without starting a new thread - is it possible to remove entries from your uninstalled list in my world? it seems to remember everything so you end up uninstalling apps you cant remember were no good or only trials. doing a fresh install is only any good if don't put the crap you didn't want back on it in the first place
    I don't think that BB has updated appworld for the Playbook to allow PERMANENT removal/deletion of excess apps.

So you actually found a defrag tool that operates the on the pb when attached to usb?
    12-25-13 01:30 PM
    there is no need to defrag a solid state drive...
    You are probably correct although, as noted, some folks have found wiping and/or encrypt/decrypt has fixed or helped with the Video Pause Bug. I *THINK* the encrypt/decrypt kind of re-writes and kind of defrags the drive????
    12-25-13 01:32 PM
    Solid state drives are organized in blocks. Unlike disk drives when locations within a block are written to you cannot overwrite the location. When a block contains too much garbage files it is necessary to copy the good info to another block and reformat the whole block thus getting rid of the garbage files. This procedure goes by the name Trim or with the Nexus 7 FsTrim (believe this came in with 4.2.2). A wikipedia reference is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM_(SSD_command)

In writing to a hard disc sectors not in use can be overwritten. When a file is written to a hard disc it may be split up into several locations i.e. fragmented. The reading of the file is slowed down by the necessary movement of the reading head because of this. This slows the operation. Disk defragmentation involves joining together these file locations thus speeding up the process.

If your PlayBook slows down too much because the memory is getting clogged you can do a security wipe which will clear up blocks used for data and apps.

BB10 may have an app for performing Trim. Saw but lost a question on that forum but the ref slipped thru my grasp. Play Store does have such apps but I believe they are for rooted tablers
    12-25-13 07:22 PM
    If I do a cleanup or security wipe, will it restore or correct my Hdmi problem. I've tried 4 different cables but no signal. The Hdmi was working properly then all of a sudden, while watching a movie, the signal dropped and never returned.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 10:07 AM
    Well, a cleanup didn't work. The Hdmi Still do not work. After 5 different types of cables, several reboots and a computer cleanup, no Hdmi video. It might be time for another new or used PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 02:44 PM
    By cleanup do you mean security wipe and reload of a clean OS, not from backup?
    12-30-13 03:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD