from what i understand, you're supposed to swipe from bezel to bezel to wake up the playbook.

on mine, i seem to be able to just wake up the screen just by tapping it? or is there a set time for it to actually go to 'sleep'? kind of annoying because when i'm randomly carrying it around it just always turns on because im touching the screen by holding it.
    12-27-11 11:01 PM
    It's bezel to bezel. I tried replicating what you're experiencing but mine won't do it. Sounds like an issue with yours. Have you tried a reset?
    12-27-11 11:09 PM
    Not mine. I just put it on standby and tried tapping and dragging my fingers on the screen
    and the screen wouldn't come on. Until I dragged from top to bottom of the bezel. Sorry your having trouble with yours but I really have no solution for you. But someone will be along with a solution. Good luck.
    12-27-11 11:10 PM
    Same here, are you sure its not the backlight timeout?
    Last edited by spike12; 12-27-11 at 11:15 PM.
    12-27-11 11:13 PM
    I just yell ON and it comes on (just kidding) , the normal way is to swipe top to bottom, bezel to bezel. Try turning your PlayBook off and then back on and see if that gets you back on track
    12-27-11 11:16 PM
    have you checked to see if you have a logo on the back that looks like an apple? that might be the problem
    Willard814 and BERaddict like this.
    12-27-11 11:16 PM
    Same here, are you sure its not the backlight timeout?
    thats what im wondering about. i guess theres two different time outs and one is for actual 'sleep'. although i assume when i press the power button at the top, thats supposed to make it go to sleep right?
    12-27-11 11:18 PM
    Make it go to standby. Screen timeout is different.
    12-27-11 11:19 PM
    thats what im wondering about. i guess theres two different time outs and one is for actual 'sleep'. although i assume when i press the power button at the top, thats supposed to make it go to sleep right?
    Yes or the top corner swipes, and touch the battery icon. I find this more convenient.
    12-27-11 11:22 PM
    I also believe that you are just in sleep mode - that is why a tap brings the screen back out of "sleep".

I go to Standby by bringing up the battery icon (swipe down from the top bezel in most views), and selecting "Standby". That is a more secure (and closer to zero battery drain) mode for carrying and sitting.
    Then you can do the bezel to bezel "on" swipe - although I usually only have to do bezel to center for it to come on.
    12-27-11 11:29 PM
    ok im a fool.

apparently having it plugged in means = never standby. despite tapping the battery icon and hitting standby, i could still tap the screen and have it come back on.

just wasn't clear on that and i guess the standby button doesn't actually go into standby when plugged in.

once unplugged, it works as intended. thanks!
    12-27-11 11:35 PM
    ok im a fool.

apparently having it plugged in means = never standby. despite tapping the battery icon and hitting standby, i could still tap the screen and have it come back on.

just wasn't clear on that and i guess the standby button doesn't actually go into standby when plugged in.

Ah haa! You learned and taught some of us, so that must make you a smart fool !
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-27-11 11:44 PM
    Do you have it in Showcase Mode?
    12-28-11 12:10 AM
    from what i understand, you're supposed to swipe from bezel to bezel to wake up the playbook.

on mine, i seem to be able to just wake up the screen just by tapping it? or is there a set time for it to actually go to 'sleep'? kind of annoying because when i'm randomly carrying it around it just always turns on because im touching the screen by holding it.
    only when i am playing music in the music app it does what you are describing

otherwise if there is no media playing, its bezel to bezel. hopefully this helps
    12-28-11 12:38 AM
    ok im a fool.

Thanks for the info !
    12-28-11 12:46 AM
    Try clapping twice see what happens.
    Megacharge and Willard814 like this.
    12-28-11 01:49 AM
    I think you have to have on red shoes for that todo work
    12-28-11 06:52 AM
    I think the beta wakes on a touch.
    12-28-11 07:59 AM
    I think the beta wakes on a touch.
    It does but it seems only for a limited time between backlight timeout and standby. Do you notice the same?
    12-28-11 08:26 AM
    It does but it seems only for a limited time between backlight timeout and standby. Do you notice the same?
    I was on the previous beta and went back to the official. I don't really remember but seems it might have been that way. I prefer the swipe to a touch waking it up.
    12-28-11 08:35 AM
    I tested it with OS2 and confirmed that if it is plugged in, touch works. If it is on battery then you need to swipe. I like it!

If you put it to sleep while plugged in, then unplug it, touch will reactivate it for a few seconds.
    Last edited by D_Whatley; 12-28-11 at 03:56 PM.
    12-28-11 02:40 PM
    Try clapping twice see what happens.
    I think Tinkerbell comes back to life. But Moses overdid the rock tapping and look where it got him!
    12-28-11 03:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD