Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I've read dozens of threads, but haven't found exactly the answer to my question.

First, I don't have wifi or access to wifi near my house. I live out in the country. To activate my new playbook last night I drove around and around until I found some wifi in the small town near me and set the PB up. Kept hoping the small town cops wouldn't stop and ask me why I was parked outside the pawnshop with my lights off. [/aside]

Sprint is my carrier and I have the Sprint Everything Unlimited Data (and a side of fries) plan.

I've installed the latest Blackberry Bridge and am browsing the internet easily on my new Playbook. I thought that this was not possible. I thought that Bridge allowed you to access the apps on your BB phone ONLY but that in order to do live-real-time web browsing, you had to tether your BB phone to the Playbook.

But during the setup process, I see the following statement on the Blackberry Desktop Software Help screen:
    Using your smartphone as modem allows you to connect to the Internet on your computer when you might not otherwise have access to the Internet. This feature isn't available for the BlackBerry� PlayBookTM tablet.
    Now I am very confused. Back when I was thinking of getting the Playbook, my research said Bridge would not be enough to enable me to browse the web on the PB. My (apparently faulty) research said I would need to tether the PB to my phone and that there would likely be data charges for this even though I have the Sprint Everything plan.

I phoned Sprint several times and got different stories depending on who I talked to (what else is new?). Some said I would have to pay a $25/month "tethering" charge to connect my Playbook to my BB phone so I could access the internet. Others said no, because I have the Unlimited Plan, I wouldn't have to pay anything extra. (Notwithstanding the quoted paragraph above that says tethering isn't even available for the Playbook.)

But now it seems that I am sitting here accessing the internet directly with the Bridge (connected by Bluetooth to my BB phone) and don't need tethering at all.

Speed of the connection is not a concern. I don't play games (on the PB or in life) and all I want to do is browse the web. Prolly won't watch movies either.

I'm confused. Can someone explain thoroughly the different functions of and uses of tethering v. bridge WRT to the Playbook? Please write things out and don't use abbreviated language and expressions. Pretend you're explaining this to a slow-witted goldfish. Thank you.
    10-01-11 10:15 AM
    Thank you for asking this. I will be watching for the answers too. I am awaiting the arrival of my new playbook(s) one for me and one for dear husband.
    10-01-11 10:26 AM
    I just tried the Kobo reader app on the PB and got the message "you are not connected to the internet." But I am posting this message FROM the Playbook! How can I not be connected to the internet?

All I'm using is Bridge and my BB Style phone.
    Last edited by Lillieperl; 10-01-11 at 10:59 AM.
    10-01-11 10:56 AM
    I just tried the Kobe reader app on the PB and got the message "you are not connected to the internet." But I am posting this message FROM the Playbook! How can I not be connected to the internet?

All I'm using is Bridge and my BB Style phone.
    the current bridge will allow most apps to work except some restrictions with in-app billings apps or geographically restricted content apps. long story short your browser, email and apps like Facebook should work.

Also the latest bridge/OS update practically thinned the gap between bridge and tethering as you no longer need a bridge browser to browse but can be done with the normal browser.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 10-01-11 at 11:04 AM.
    10-01-11 11:02 AM
    Bridging links your PlayBook to your BlackBerry via Bluetooth and allows data transfer between the two. Apps can use the the link to transfer data to and fro the internet if they can use the bridge.

Upon release only apps under the "Bridge" area on the PlayBook could do this and ... er... Poynt as I recall (a third party app). One such app is the Bridge Browser. A web browser that can use the bridge.

BUT then... with one of the latest patches RIM enabled the regular web browser to also use the bridge. Some apps can as well I believe though notably some still can not. Like App World, cannot use the bridge for a data connection.

The hope is that RIM makes the bridging 100% transparent at some point so that all apps simply use it when there is no other access available.
    10-01-11 11:03 AM
    So at one time there was a difference between a regular browser on the PB and a "bridge browser"?

Why did I hear/read that I would need "tethering" to connect my PB to the internet for browsing, when the BB help says tethering doesn't work with the PB?

I don't use Facebook. I'm one of two people in the USA who are not on Facebook. I don't really use many "apps" at all...just browse the internet.
    10-01-11 11:09 AM
    Tethering your Playbook via any type of phone that supports it allows you to enjoy your playbook like as if it's connected on wifi (except browsing appworld, which requires real wifi). So all our apps should work when you are connected to tether.

--- below could be wrong ---

Blackberry bridge' internet (from what I understand) is using the email data to get internet access. Kind of like using opera browser on a "email only" data plan (which allows you to surf). Imagine there's another window embedded into your gmail while reading your email. Your IT administrator sees you going to gmail, but you aren't really ). You aren't really connected to the internet via tethering. Your carrier only sees you as accessing emails but you are using that to get apps to work. Most apps would work as well if coded properly but the odd ones wouldn't.

This is probably why carriers don't like playbook as well. They can't make a dime from people surfing on playbook via bb bridge, yet it consumes their network capacity loading full-blown webpages xD. They can't see it that's the thing. They see it as data, but they don't know if you are loading huge emails or surfing. But to us, helll yea, cost savings!
    10-01-11 11:14 AM
    So at one time there was a difference between a regular browser on the PB and a "bridge browser"?
    yes, but not anymore
    10-01-11 11:28 AM
    Tethering your Playbook via any type of phone that supports it allows you to enjoy your playbook like as if it's connected on wifi (except browsing appworld, which requires real wifi). So all our apps should work when you are connected to tether.
    Did you see what I posted above:
    Lillieperl: But during the setup process, I see the following statement on the Blackberry Desktop Software Help screen:

Quote: Using your smartphone as modem allows you to connect to the Internet on your computer when you might not otherwise have access to the Internet. This feature (i.e., tethering) isn't available for the BlackBerry� PlayBookTM tablet.

Blackberry bridge' internet (from what I understand) is using the email data to get internet access.
    Ummm... I'm not looking at email on my Playbook, so don't see where "email data" figures in.

From what y'all are saying Blackberry Bridge is doing the trick as far as connecting to the internet as much as I need to in the absence of wifi. Does that make sense?

Still not clear on the Kobo message "not connected to the internet," when clearly I AM connected to the internet.
    10-01-11 11:50 AM
    From what y'all are saying Blackberry Bridge is doing the trick as far as connecting to the internet as much as I need to in the absence of wifi. Does that make sense?

Still not clear on the Kobo message "not connected to the internet," when clearly I AM connected to the internet.

Yes, in the absence of WiFi if you have a BB phone, you can hop online using the bridge. It is pretty fast in its current form.

Evidently the Kobo reader is using some service that cannot utilize the bridge (yet).
    10-01-11 11:54 AM
    yes, but not anymore
    Can you tell me how that works? I cant use the regular browser without a wifi connection on my playbook.
    10-01-11 12:13 PM
    Kept hoping the small town cops wouldn't stop and ask me why I was parked outside the pawnshop with my lights off. [/aside]
    I think your questions have been reasonably answered and you have a lot of company in not quite understanding the differences between bridging and tethering.

But as to the pawn shop - you could have explained you were there to pawn your new pb, hoping for a fair resale price!!! Okay, just kidding.

Hope you enjoy it and one question: Do you have "internet" at your home? If so, wireless routers are fairly cheap and you could have wifi at home.
    10-01-11 12:13 PM
    Hope you enjoy it and one question: Do you have "internet" at your home? If so, wireless routers are fairly cheap and you could have wifi at home.
    I have a laptop and connect with a Sprint aircard, so I do have internet at home and everywhere else. I take my laptop with me to my clients' offices and to school. Never have to use anyone else's computer. Don't need no stinkin' wifi.

Thanks for the help, y'all.
    10-01-11 01:02 PM
    I didn't see anyone offer a clear explanation of Bridge vs Tethering.

Bridge - Mirrors your phones apps and any data goes through as if you're using your BB (to your provider).

Tethering - Uses your phone as a modem, similar to the way you can tether with Desktop Manager and get internet access on your computer. This would incur tethering charges if you don't have an appropriate data plan.
    10-01-11 01:31 PM
    Can you tell me how that works? I cant use the regular browser without a wifi connection on my playbook.
    update the bridge and os to the latest version , if you are on at&t download the bridge software from cb forums.
    10-01-11 01:57 PM
    I didn't see anyone offer a clear explanation of Bridge vs Tethering.

Bridge - Mirrors your phones apps and any data goes through as if you're using your BB (to your provider).

Tethering - Uses your phone as a modem, similar to the way you can tether with Desktop Manager and get internet access on your computer. This would incur tethering charges if you don't have an appropriate data plan.
    For my purposes, Bridge seems to be functioning just like tethering. Don't know exactly what you mean by mirroring. It's more like the Playbook uses the BB phone as a conduit to the internet.

According to the Blackberry help that i've cited twice, tethering is not available for the Playbook.

Sent from my Playbook.
    10-01-11 02:22 PM
    OK. This is the difference between tethering and bridging:

Tethering uses a phone as a wifi generator and incurs a tethering plan for a fee. BB phones do not presently have this capability.

Bridging uses a bluetooth connection with the PB to access your BB phone's 3g data service. The latest bridge update allows data reliant apps to function on the main browser (e.g. the weather app) with the exception seeming to be apps that involve financial tranactions. The service is free only in the sense that it requires no additional data plan. That is to say that if you have an unlimited data plan for your phone you use that plan with your bridged PB. ATT freezes the browser capability allowing only email and BB messaging presumably because they are afraid that browsing will consume data at a faster rate. There is a free fix for that available on this forum.

The bridge browser works quite well enough to stream youtube videos. Very cool feature.
    10-01-11 03:12 PM
    (1) The help screen was worded too vaguely. I think what RIM meant was that the Playbook cannot tether via wifi in ad hoc mode to your smartphones. Smartphones don't have infrastructure (hotspot) wifi settings (unless you root your android or jailbreak your iphone). This is similar to the Motorola Xoom not able to tether with wifi's ad hoc mode.

http://www.sleeplessninja.com/?p=353

Since this is an manufacturer's official help screen, it won't even acknowledge the existence of this hacked smartphone hotspot mode.

(2) You can tether via bluetooth to your blackberry. For most carriers, this tethering will cost extra money every month.

(3) You can bridge via bluetooth to your blackberry. The Playbook's regular browser, bridge browser, and third party apps (like the Facebook app) all have access to the internet via your blackberry --- for free (except AT&T who crippled their bridge version).

Bridge is going to be slower than #2 (bluetooth tethering) because all bridge traffic goes through RIM's servers. So if you live in Chicago and you are trying to look at the Chicago city hall website --- when you are bridging your Playbook to your blackberry, all the internet data has to go up to Canada first.

The Playbook's regular browser and the Playbook's bridge browser are very different. The Playbook's regular browser's traffic goes through RIM's servers vs. the Bridge browser's traffic goes through your employer's servers. Bridge browser can access your employer's internal network. If your employer's network disallows you from accessing the facebook website --- you will be denied access to the facebook website via the bridge browser as well.
    10-01-11 03:13 PM
    For my purposes, Bridge seems to be functioning just like tethering. Don't know exactly what you mean by mirroring. It's more like the Playbook uses the BB phone as a conduit to the internet.

According to the Blackberry help that i've cited twice, tethering is not available for the Playbook.

Sent from my Playbook.
    Tethering IS available for the PB. I used to tether to my BB until the last OS upgrade. Now I get everything off the bridged connection, works for everything but AppWorld, just not as fast as Wifi.
    10-01-11 03:14 PM
    I think that the most simple thing - in tethering you use your phone to move the data to/from another device. It does not necessarily involve wifi.

The Tether (formerly tetherberry) app uses either BT or usb to tether the bb phone to a computer. It uses the phone's 3g (or other communications link) to provide a data link to computer/laptop, etc.

I think what rim has done is allow the BRIDGE app to both mirror the apps on the phone on the pb as well as provide the "tether" function to the regular browser.

But notice as pointed out, that it does not provide appropriate connections to allow appworld to work (and probably other apps as well).
    10-01-11 03:41 PM
    The quoted help text is saying opposite, as far as how I read it. Meaning it is saying that BB smartphone can act as a modem and let other devices use it. PB on the other hand cannot act as modem and let other devices use it.

Some mis information in posts above, saying tethering is wifi generator etc (that is different, wifi hot spot).

1. PB does tether with phones via bluetooth as client (since day one).
    2. PB currently does not support connecting to adhoc wifi.

When initially released only bridge apps/bridge browser worked when bridged and this was later changed with updates.

Tethering uses different way of data transfer (and tests show it is faster than bridge). Tethering is widely implemented standard, while bridge is something new introduced by RIM, and has been able to fly under the radar for most carriers (ATT being the exception).

When bridged, native browser/apps use BIS while bridge browser uses BES.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-11 03:44 PM

Sent from my Playbook.
    What I mean by mirroring is the BBM, Messages, Calendar apps. Bridging is done via BT and exactly like you said, uses your BB as a conduit so all traffic appears as if you're using your BB normally and goes through the RIM servers (BIS) or you're company's servers (BES).

When you Tether via BT (which is absolutely possible and works with my PB and BB 9800) your phone / BB is used like a modem and all traffic goes through your carrier's servers directly (using their APN settings). This is faster and preferable for browsing, but may incur tethering charges if you don't have the right data plan.
    10-02-11 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD