Has anyone noticed the frame rate or smoothness of scrolling drops whenever there is flash on a webpage? this goes against the playbooks powerful and 'seamless' flash integration. compare a page with all text and graphics and notice the smooth 60 fps scrolling, like an ipad. contrast this with a page with something as small as one flash ad, like crackberry forums. scrollling becomes choppy and will drop to like 20 fps which makes it feel like a cheap tablet

let me know your findings. i hope a software update fixes this. part of the reason i dont like tablets other than the ipad is because of lagginess and slowness. i dont even like the ipad tho but everything else is trash except the playbook of course
    04-21-11 11:23 AM
    Turn off flash, just toggle on as needed?
    04-21-11 11:32 AM
    Has anyone noticed the frame rate or smoothness of scrolling drops whenever there is flash on a webpage? this goes against the playbooks powerful and 'seamless' flash integration. compare a page with all text and graphics and notice the smooth 60 fps scrolling, like an ipad. contrast this with a page with something as small as one flash ad, like crackberry forums. scrollling becomes choppy and will drop to like 20 fps which makes it feel like a cheap tablet

let me know your findings. i hope a software update fixes this. part of the reason i dont like tablets other than the ipad is because of lagginess and slowness. i dont even like the ipad tho but everything else is trash except the playbook of course
    That is my complain too what i found out is that you cannot scroll a page with flash in it if you put you start scrolling by putting your finger on flash content but you can do it if place your finger on a non flash content.

And one more thing is if you go to a huge flash site like clubpenguin.com (my daughter's favorite) it is worse, hopefully will be better in future.
    Last edited by abbas920; 04-21-11 at 03:07 PM.
    04-21-11 12:54 PM
    Really? Hummm, I gotta test this again. I tried Engadget, Crackberry and plenty of other sites with Flash and didn't notice any choppiness when scrolling. The only site that was slow was roche-bobois.com, a very heavy Flash site.
    04-21-11 12:56 PM
    I really haven't noticed any real choppiness at all, at least when connected to the 'net via wifi.
    04-21-11 01:03 PM
    Really? Hummm, I gotta test this again. I tried Engadget, Crackberry and plenty of other sites with Flash and didn't notice any choppiness when scrolling. The only site that was slow was roche-bobois.com, a very heavy Flash site.
    I agree I even tried that roche bobois site and it is slightly choppier than on my PC but very decent for a portable device. I'm getting annoyed at all the nitpicking that this excellent product is attracting. Flash on a tablet is wonderful, except Apple managed to convince the masses that flash doesn't matter. RIM deserves high praise for this and instead we get 'not 100.000% of the web, or flash is there but choppy - ridiculous!
    04-21-11 01:41 PM
    Not all Flash content is equal. Some are real-time calculated vector graphics. Some are embeded video files. The embeded video has GPU acceleration, so should be smooth. The vector animations are only as good as the author made them. There are techniques to animate Flash content to not use too much CPU time calculating objects that are not visible, but not all authors follow these techniques unfortunately.
    04-21-11 01:47 PM
    Depends on which site. When surfing Google Reader for example, things tend to get choppy when a YouTube video is embedded in a story.
    04-21-11 02:29 PM
    Problem is a lot of flash ads suck and are poorly written, and sites don't check to see if the space they sold for an ad has a decently coded add in it. Income from the ad trumps the user's using the site for free every time. I'll sometimes see my browser freeze for 10 seconds on my Mac, and it's always caused by a Flash ad or poorly coded Java something loading, and that's on FIOS.
    04-21-11 02:39 PM
    flash and the "whole web" experience is a double edged sword. most BB users are used to crap browsing experience and have never used a android or iOS device before to see how much better it is. Then they get the PB and wow what a difference! They can now see what they have been missing on the other devices like iphone and androids. this is great and they are excited about flash and i will admit i was too with an andriod at first. Then you realize with all the full web goodness you see how bad flash ads are and how they really can ruin the experience.

its nice to have it available and there are certainly times i use it and love it but many times, especially on a mobile platform, it actually takes away from the experience and becomes annoying at times.

With the good comes the bad and it does make you choose, flash on or flash off.
    04-21-11 02:52 PM
    Hmmm...I'm comparing it to a PC, and I compared both iPad and Playbook to a PC browsing experience, and Playbook does what I want and iPad doesn't. This whole idea that you need apps to optimize web pages is fundamentally Apple's attempt to hijack the web and remap it in their own proprietary format.

flash and the "whole web" experience is a double edged sword. most BB users are used to crap browsing experience and have never used a android or iOS device before to see how much better it is. Then they get the PB and wow what a difference! They can now see what they have been missing on the other devices like iphone and androids.
    04-21-11 07:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD