So my pre-order from Office Depot was a 64GB model with a raised power button, but it had a dead pixel! So I exchanged it in store and got a new one with a defect free screen, but on this one the power button is flush...

I was thinking about how to fix this easily and stopped by Wal-Mart on the way home and grabbed some puffy craft paint. The stuff I got asks you to hit it with steam from an iron, but I did find a better alternative online:

Tulip Dimensional Fabric Paint 1-1/4 Ounces-Puffy-Red

It's a cheap easy fix and works great! I put a tiny drop on there and then hit it with a hair dryer to help it along. Give it 4 hours and it's ready to go... Be gentle on it for the first few days, but then it should be set for good!

These are the ones I picked up at Wal-Mart, and the pink is a good match for a power button, it's more of a magenta when all balled up. Works for me for now: Amazon.com: Tulip 3D Fashion Paint 1-1/4 Ounces 6/Pkg - Puffy: Toys & Games

The puffy paint has a nice rubber feel to it and is thick enough you can ball it up on top of the button. Kinda crappy we have to do something like this, but for people otherwise happy with their device, it's a few bucks and should last for quite a while...
    04-23-11 10:52 PM
    why is everyone still crying over the power button? Just press it, it's that easy. the Playbook has so much more to offer than the power button, good lord!
    04-23-11 11:48 PM
    why is everyone still crying over the power button? Just press it, it's that easy. the Playbook has so much more to offer than the power button, good lord!
    Others, like myself have a hard time getting the button to press, it's a good thing I have nails. There's no need to get all cranky about this post, it's actually a good idea. I DO realize there's a icon to power off the device, but sometimes the actual power button WILL be needed. Suck it up, it's an issue, can't deny that!

OP, thanks for the suggestion
    NamelessLiar, jcool13 and amboy83 like this.
    04-23-11 11:51 PM
    I got a golf tee that works great lol
    04-23-11 11:53 PM
    I just ooze my finger fat and fill the crevice which forces the button down .
    Good idea though, however i would trust my self with trying it.
    04-23-11 11:54 PM
    I got the convertible case which makes the power button virtually unusable. Soooooooooooooo, I made a small ball of paper and taped it to my power button. When I put the PB in the case there is no more problem. Works great and you cannot tell its there!
    amboy83 likes this.
    04-24-11 12:04 AM
    Because its a **** poor design and pain in the *** to use!
    04-24-11 12:08 AM
    lmao, i guess this is like having to stick crap under the batter cover to fix the click screens on the storms
    04-24-11 04:37 AM
    lmao, i guess this is like having to stick crap under the batter cover to fix the click screens on the storms
    Sure, dig up dirt from the past :P
    04-24-11 04:39 AM
    i was actually lucky and had a great storm 1 with not hardware mods needed...used it for 1 year with no replacements either
    04-24-11 05:10 AM
    Others, like myself have a hard time getting the button to press, it's a good thing I have nails. There's no need to get all cranky about this post, it's actually a good idea. I DO realize there's a icon to power off the device, but sometimes the actual power button WILL be needed. Suck it up, it's an issue, can't deny that!

OP, thanks for the suggestion
    Seriously this is getting old quick. My power button is flush. I lay it flat, put my right hand at the bottom and click the power button with any finger on my left hand. How's that for a solution? The whining about the power button is laughable.
    Last edited by TheTechGuy; 04-24-11 at 05:53 AM.
    04-24-11 05:38 AM
    Not being very technical, that would be a really sad solution to have to resort to.

I thought all (new, after first run) PBs were going to have the raised power button and this would not be an issue. Hope they get swapped out real soon and banished to oblivion.
    04-24-11 06:27 AM
    if you put the playbook down and let it go into standby, isn't it the same thing as pressing the power button? both turn on with a swipe. i have the convertable case which makes it hard to push the button i just close the case come back and the unit is off.
    04-24-11 07:11 AM
    Never had to do anything to my Storm to make it work... and it's still working great! That's not to say I can't wait till the Monaco gets here!

And that Puffy Paint will eventually crack/chip off. Wouldn't want residue down in there.
    Last edited by InnerChild; 04-24-11 at 08:41 AM.
    04-24-11 08:39 AM
    I am in the same boat as you man, I don't know what people are griping about, there is a little delay between when you press and when the unit fires up (red LED lights and all).

So I think people are over pressing it to be honest. I got big hands and I use my thumb with NO problems.
    04-24-11 11:43 AM
    hahaha10char
    04-24-11 11:55 AM
    I rarely use the power button anyways. But it does irritate me when I do use it.
    04-24-11 02:41 PM
    Hatax sorry to here about your bad luck with your first PB, I to had to return mine due to a defective camera. I have no problems hitting my power button even through the OEM "convertable case". JUst use your fingernail.

Anyways Ill see ya around for some Warfare action
    ~SlightlySt00pid
    04-24-11 03:01 PM
    I don't know why, but I find this very disturbing.
    04-24-11 03:08 PM
    Seriously this is getting old quick. My power button is flush. I lay it flat, put my right hand at the bottom and click the power button with any finger on my left hand. How's that for a solution? The whining about the power button is laughable.

this post was not whining... OP actually gave a solution to his problem instead of whining u big ****.
    04-24-11 03:13 PM
    I think part of the problem is that people are expecting more tactile feel of the button moving which doesn't happen much with the flush buttons.
    04-24-11 03:21 PM
    Why don't you guys just use the power ICON on the screen! Yes! There is one and it does the same thing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-24-11 03:27 PM
    04-24-11 03:28 PM
    Why don't you guys just use the power ICON on the screen! Yes! There is one and it does the same thing.

but it doesn't do the same thing. it doesn't put the pb to sleep. if you never use the power button to do this then it stays on for however long you have it set for.
    04-24-11 03:41 PM
    I guess that's true about standby mode.

04-24-11 03:48 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD