CES 2012: RIM�s PlayBook software overhaul brings hope
    Matt Hartley Jan 10, 2012 � 5:06 PM ET | Last Updated: Jan 10, 2012 6:34 PM ET

Scott Olson/Getty Images
    Research In Motion Ltd.'s BlackBerry PlayBook tablet.
    Comments Email Twitter
    inShare
    LAS VEGAS � Better late than never.

It seems hard to imagine now, but Research In Motion Ltd. kicked off 2011 riding a wave of cautious optimism fuelled by a new device, the BlackBerry PlayBook touchscreen tablet, the company�s first foray outside its smartphone comfort zone.

When co-chief executive Mike Lazaridis unveiled the PlayBook in September, 2010, RIM observers were encouraged that the Waterloo, Ont.-based company appeared to finally have a device that could rival the surging popularity of Apple Inc.�s iPad.

Last year at the annual Consumer Electronics Show here, RIM pulled out all the stops to make sure the PlayBook was on the tip of every tongue in the tech world. RIM erected a huge booth, had dozens of PlayBooks on display and brought in celebrities such as Adrian Grenier and Olivia Wilde to help commandeer the spotlight.

Unfortunately, the PlayBook never lived up to its initial promise. When it finally launched in April � much later than many analysts had hoped, and after Apple had already debuted iPad 2 � the PlayBook enjoyed a less-than-favourable reception.

Despite its powerful architecture, critics chastised RIM for shipping the device without core features, such as native email and calendar software. RIM�s questionable marketing tactics and public relations snafus didn�t help. After three fiscal quarters of slow sales, some analysts are openly wondering whether RIM should shutter the PlayBook division and stick to its smartphone knitting.

But all that could be about to change.

This week at CES, RIM is giving the world its first glimpse of PlayBook OS 2.0, a sweeping overhaul to the tablet�s core software due to be released in February. Indeed, the software overhaul may cause the technology world to rethink its attitude towards RIM�s much-maligned tablet.

The new software corrects many of the PlayBook�s most obvious flaws, and brings new content offerings to the device that has been falling behind its competitors, including Apple, Amazon.com Inc.�s Kindle Fire and a bevy of devices running Google Inc.�s Android software.

The new native email client will enable users to access their messages without having to sync the PlayBook to their smartphone. It will also allow users to access their corporate email, personal inbox and LinkedIn and Twitter messages from a single application.

With the new calendar application, business users will be able to see who is attending a particular meeting and to retrieve information about them either through their own address book or by pulling in public LinkedIn data from the Web.

In the new �people-centric� contacts application, users will be able to access not only the phone numbers and email addresses of their contacts, but also their social media profiles, and choose how they want to reach their friends.

There�s even an application that enables PlayBook owners to use their BlackBerry smartphone as a remote control to manipulate the action on the PlayBook.

One of the biggest complaints about the PlayBook was the lack of a video download service to match up with Apple�s iTunes. With PlayBook 2.0, users will get access to a new RIM Video Store, powered by technology from Rovi Corp.

The new video store will feature thousands of movies and television shows available for download from many of the major Hollywood studios. RIM officials said the Video Store will launch in the United States with the PlayBook 2.0 update in February; the company has not said when the Video Store will come to Canada or other markets.

The new software isn�t likely to turn around overnight the fortunes that beset RIM�s first tablet. But if the company can deliver what appears to be a solid software update in February as promised, it will go a long way towards repairing its tarnished reputation.

Posted in: FP Tech Desk, Mobile, Software Tags: BlackBerry PlayBook, CES, CES 2012, Consumer Electronics Show, Las Vegas, Overhaul, PlayBook, PlayBook OS 2.0, Research In Motion, Research In Motion Ltd., RIM, Smartphone, Tablet, Updates

Link to full Article:

CES 2012: RIM’s PlayBook software overhaul brings hope | FP Tech Desk | Financial Post
    miktro, nievz, Jince and 16 others like this.
    01-10-12 07:02 PM
    I would have thought this would be good news.

Tough crowd. I'm here all week.

Tip your waitress.
    01-10-12 07:51 PM
    Well, Obama gave the Norweigians "hope" and that was enough to get him the Nobel Prize...

Seriously, it is good to see that the writer is impressed by RIM's CES revelations. But, obviously, and as the writer hinted, we are going to need some follow-through from RIM--and very soon. In particular, I am going to be looking for a fully-baked OS2 and email program in the weeks ahead, and for that Video Store. I'm skeptical that RIM can give Amazon a run for its money in the media content department, but stranger things have happened. Does anyone know anything about this Jovi?
    01-10-12 08:40 PM
    Bon Jovi?

I think it's Rovi.

I'm impressed, but sceptical. We'll see.....
    01-10-12 08:53 PM
    I SAY IT IS GREAT!

No really, about time the tech blogs and news outlets start talking about it. OS 2 is looking very cool indeed. I'm excited to get it.
    canuckvoip and jivegirl14 like this.
    01-10-12 08:54 PM
    Well, Obama gave the Norweigians "hope" and that was enough to get him the Nobel Prize...
    No offense, but anyone who is more knowledgeable than the Norwegian Nobel Committee regarding what makes one deserving of the Nobel Peace prize wouldn't be commenting on CrackBerry. Therefore. . .
    01-10-12 08:57 PM
    Yeah, I'm really curious about the content that will be rolling out with 2.0 along with the new apps.

It would be awesome if this new OS roll out makes the Playbook the king of the show, lol.

Coupled with the new headlines generated by the sales, this could be a turning point for the device. We, the current Playbook user base, need to make it known that these roll outs will make this device one of the best, if not the best, tablets on the market. We do this by visiting as many positive links as possible, posting links on Twitter, Facebook, etc., doing internet searches for the Playbook on Google, Bing, Yahoo!, etc., among other things.

I already can sense a different tone in the "journalism" today about the new OS. It is far different then the "news" that BGR broke recently.
    01-10-12 09:06 PM
    I think it's fabulous that the update is getting "good press"! I can understand those who have experienced the past deadline promises being skeptical ... but the press seems impressed and that's a very good change for the better!
    01-10-12 09:13 PM
    After all the naysayers and ppl talking trash about the playbook, i feel vindicated. Hopefully this will put to bed the talk about discontinuing the playbook blah blah blah.

I would love my playbook regardless but I do feel excited and hopeful for the PB and RIM - both of which I really want to succeed. So hooray for us!
    hpjrt, jamesbondOO7 and fj_cruiser like this.
    01-10-12 09:20 PM
    The fact that they're saying:

"RIM officials said the Video Store will launch in the United States with the PlayBook 2.0 update in February; the company has not said when the Video Store will come to Canada or other markets."

Implies that they understand the importance of the American consumer to their product.

That said, I would prefer that they add Netflix, Hulu or even Blockbuster, than selling/renting movies and television programs through a video store. But, iTunes does rent roughly 50,000 movies per day.

I'm actually excited about this update. I don't use the PB all that much other than just playing around with it. I don't have a BB phone so it's usage has pretty much been web-surfing.

I temper this excitement by remembering that AAPL, MMI, and some others running Android will have launched 2 new iterations of tablets in the same space of time as R.I.M's 1 tablet.

But, let's see what happens.
    01-10-12 09:42 PM
    Good news is good news... and it's spreading.
    nievz likes this.
    01-10-12 09:48 PM
    I assume one will be able to continue using the bridge email, contacts and calendar if one does not want to go native?
    01-10-12 09:49 PM
    Good news is good news... and it's spreading.
    +1+1+1

Looks as though this device will finally be in a state we can all be proud of, and not a half-baked one requiring all the empty excuses and so forth to try to cover for it.
    01-10-12 09:55 PM
    The real news here is that the tide is turning regarding the media's perception.

And I say that, being more knowledgeable than the Norwegian Nobel Committee.
    01-10-12 09:59 PM
    I wonder how the stock market responds when it finally gets released.

GO RIM GO!
    Last edited by steve911; 01-10-12 at 10:09 PM.
    01-10-12 10:00 PM
    I wonder if or how much the stock market responds when it finally gets released.
    If it launches on time, and gets great reviews overall, you may see some sort of uptick.

But, strong sales numbers and a final determination or at least a clear vision from/about R.I.M's Mgmt structure will help A LOT more than a software update would
    01-10-12 10:06 PM
    The real news here is that the tide is turning regarding the media's perception.

And I say that, being more knowledgeable than the Norwegian Nobel Committee.
    I am also more knowledgeable than the Norwegian Nobel Committee and I admit the media does seem ready to pay attention to the Playbook. Of course, with the ball back in RIM's court, it's the consumers who must be wowed--and at a price that RIM can maintain. It will be interesting to watch what happens.
    01-10-12 10:15 PM
    and at a price that RIM can maintain. It will be interesting to watch what happens.
    Any news on what the prices will be after Feb 4?
    01-10-12 10:42 PM
    I temper this excitement by remembering that AAPL, MMI, and some others running Android will have launched 2 new iterations of tablets in the same space of time as R.I.M's 1 tablet.

But, let's see what happens.
    I don't think there is a current need to release another Blackberry tablet.

The current hardware is doing just fine, although it could have had a flash for it's rear camera.
    01-10-12 10:47 PM
    I don't think there is a current need to release another Blackberry tablet.

The current hardware is doing just fine, although it could have had a flash for it's rear camera.
    Meant more to address the perception that R.I.M spends a certain amount of time trying to catch up.

But I think, unlike last year, BB should decide who it's competitors are and compete in that arena. As opposed to having it's competitors be chosen for them.
    01-10-12 10:54 PM
    After all the naysayers and ppl talking trash about the playbook, i feel vindicated. Hopefully this will put to bed the talk about discontinuing the playbook blah blah blah.

I am sure the press is still going to sh*t on it (unjustifiably so if I may say...). But you still have major problems on the business side.

1. There is still a major branding problem with the playbook with erratic price cuts and the lukewarm launch.
    2. There are no brick and mortar stores carrying the pb and therefore less distributors, making it less likely that it will land into consumer hands. This is the biggest problem.
    3. Marketing is still lacking. People won't buy something that they do not know exists.
    4. The playbook has not been widely adopted into the corporate world, which is what it was originally created for and marketed as. Sad really.
    5. The average consumer, who isn't very tech savy, will not understand what the 2.0 upgrades entail...which will not help increase sells.
    6. You cannot keep selling the pb at a loss. This is also another major problem.

This is what I have been saying for a long time. Until you fix these structural problems, sales will not be great.
    Last edited by Pearl9100; 01-10-12 at 11:42 PM.
    01-10-12 11:31 PM
    That was a well written piece of journalism.
    01-10-12 11:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD