i wuold like to use the pb overseas and use a cellular modem
    is it possible?
    how does it work?
    03-17-12 02:38 AM
    You mean like a MiFi?

it'll work.

just mke sure the data plan for the thing has roaming, and that you'll get service.
    03-17-12 02:39 AM
    most of the time I have seen those devices they cost more than just unlocking your phone, buying a local sim card with some bb data on it. did this when went to mexico.

unlocking cost me $8
    sim/some local time $11 (150 pesos)
    bb data 1 gig/7 days $11 (150 pesos)

The plus side is you get some local calling minutes. in mexico cell phones receive free incoming local calls. This worked perfect for me as I have some friends who just moved down there and we were able to meet up and stuff.

Though it would depend on how long you plan on staying and wherever your going and what they charge for data/sim.

Edit:
    I guess for the benefit of some I should include...
    You then tether
    I thought this would have been obvious
    Last edited by Guyzer; 03-18-12 at 11:16 AM.
    03-17-12 04:17 AM
    most of the time I have seen those devices they cost more than just unlocking your phone, buying a local sim card with some bb data on it. did this when went to mexico.

unlocking cost me $8
    sim/some local time $11 (150 pesos)
    bb data 1 gig/7 days $11 (150 pesos)

The plus side is you get some local calling minutes. in mexico cell phones receive free incoming local calls. This worked perfect for me as I have some friends who just moved down there and we were able to meet up and stuff.

Though it would depend on how long you plan on staying and wherever your going and what they charge for data/sim.
    That sounds like an excellent plan.

One small flaw: The OP wants internet on his PlayBook.
    03-17-12 03:54 PM
    ....use the pb overseas and use a cellular modem...
    Forget roaming data. No human can afford roaming data. Even Carlos Slim switches off data roaming when he visits Bill Gates. One time he forgot, and when he got home there was a bill for $65 billion. Luckily he owns the company, and when he paid the bill that's how he became the world's richest man.

Purchase an unlocked smartphone (BB to bridge, or iPhone 4/Android with wifi hotspot) and get a local SIM with a local pay as Yugo data plan.

If you insist on a USB modem, look up CradlePoint for their line of USB Modem connected wifi routers.
    03-17-12 11:59 PM
    I don't think USB modems work with the PlayBook...
    03-18-12 12:15 AM
    Why not just use the PB at a wifi hotspot They are located throughout Europe. Most hotels have them.
    03-18-12 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD