Hi,
    I'm a new Playbook user and since day1 I've been trying to find the perfect eReader for the device. I know that this subject have been discussed a gazillion times before but not much since the official release of Os 2.0 and the Android Player. I myself, have made quite a lot of testing so I tough I could share my experience and learn from yours, so here we go :

Native Playbook eReader :

Kobo : Kobo should be the go to app when it comes to eReading on the playbook since it comes bundled with the device, unfortunately it's not such a simple case. To this day it's still impossible to side load / import your own epub files into the app which is a huge flaw. Also unlike the app on Android and iOs, the app does not feature a dictionary which is also bad. Since the OS 2.0 update, a lot of user are complaining about bugs and in some case make the app totally unusable (Thanks to Klinton for the input).

Book Reader for Epup and Kindle Books : This is an indie app that sales for 1$. The app itself have a decent look (not on par with Kobo and other commercial app though) and let you import both epub and mobi files (from kindle). The app works ok and has a good number of customization option but lack important feature such as a dictionary which pretty much kills it for me...

PlayEpub :This one is my favourite so far. This is another indie app that goes for 2$ (trial available). The app look ok (not on par with Kobo and other commercial app either), could be better imo if the file browser could be hidden. The app has no dictionary but has a lot of nice features such as the ability to translate some text (internet connection needed but this is quite standard for this feature). You can also email text or send it to Read it Later, highlight some text or create note out of it or share it on twitter or Facebook. You also have a fair amount of customization on how the text display. You can also connect to some online library to get some free books (a standard feature in commercial app yet often missing in indie app).
    ***One thing that I found odd in the beginning is that when you read a real book you bring page from right to the left side therefore usually eReader use swipe from right to left to go to next page while here it goes to the previous page but this is minor and only need some getting use too. Thanks to JiveGirl14 for pointing this one out!

Android apps trough Android player : (one should take into consideration that from my experience, while Android app does a good job it remains emulation and is therefore not on par with native apps, also some Android apps optimized for tablet does recognize the playbook as a smartphone rather than a tablet and does not present themselves in their tablet optimized form)

Kindle : The kindle app is to this day the closer option that I've found to what i came to expect from eReader. There's a dictionary here and it works! The app also show the tablet optimized view. That being said, the lack of epub support can be a turnoff, sure you can still convert all your books with software such a calibre but this can be a huge task if you have a lot of book, plus if you use another device for eReading, this might means you'll have to keep both epub and mobi version and therefore have duplicate.

Kobo for kindle : This app does not work so well from my experience and it doesn't display the tablet optimized view so you're stuck with the smartphone view.

Aldiko book reader : I have yet to be able to make this app work, even worse once it crashes you get crash report even once the app is uninstalled ?!?! From what I've heard version prior to 1.6 (current version is post 2.0) works fine but I have yet to find one of these.

Mantano Reader : This app does not work with Android Player, you can't even launch it and I've never heard of anybody having this app work whatever the version.

Moon+ Reader : The app works ok on the playbook, once again the playbook does not show the tablet optimized view but the smartphone view instead. Also while the app does have multiple dictionary, I haven't been able to get any of these to work as the app isn't able to download them on android player.

Other solutions :
    Some folks use online eReader such as amazon cloud and other, the huge downside here is that you have to be connected to the Internet otherwise it doesn't work at all which hardly makes it a real solution since the playbook does not even have 3G, and even in this case that would be an IF you have signal case....

So that's my conclusion so far.... I'm I missing something? For me the best solution would be if the native kobo app could simply add the dictionary and import / side load feature but it's not moving quickly on their side from what I've heard so I'm not holding my breath....
    Last edited by GMah; 03-05-12 at 05:09 PM. Reason: PlayEpub first impression added
    03-05-12 01:23 PM
    Is a dictionary really required in an ereader? I see this mentioned a lot, which is why I ask. I mean, what do people do when they read, you know, books -- carry a dictionary with them? I guess it can be a nice addition but are there that many people trying to read beyond their level out there that we should think a dictionary is required?

Great write up regardless, thank you.
    03-05-12 03:04 PM
    Is a dictionary really required in an ereader? I see this mentioned a lot, which is why I ask. I mean, what do people do when they read, you know, books -- carry a dictionary with them? I guess it can be a nice addition but are there that many people trying to read beyond their level out there that we should think a dictionary is required?

Great write up regardless, thank you.
    I agree, the fact that one is reading a book implies that one is at least semi literate to begin with.
    03-05-12 03:24 PM
    I can see how a dictionary is not a feature required by everybody. I don't think it's a question of reading beyond your level, I personnally use this feature for two main purposes :
    1. About 99% of the text I read are in english, which is to me a foreign language, so every now and then I stumble on words that I'm not 100% sure and use the dictionary.

2. I never read novel, only non-fiction and technical stuff, mostly psychology, math and economics. Again the dictionary is useful for some technical terms that I'm not familiar with (terms that I don't even know the equivalent in my first language even though I'm completing my post-grad degree in these subjects). I just made a quick check on the top 10 best selling book on amazon and 30% of them are non-fiction (50% of them are the hunger games in different versions) so I guess that other people too can at time find some technical word.

There's no denying that this could be seen as a goodie but since all the major : Kindle, Kobo, Ibooks, Nook offer this function I assume that there's a demand for it.

Indeed I never carry a dictionary with me when I read good old fashioned books because it's not practical but that's one of the many reasons eReader could be seen as progress.
    Last edited by GMah; 03-05-12 at 04:00 PM.
    03-05-12 03:37 PM
    Have to say I'm also quite curious... why do you need a dictionary for an e-reader to be worth considering? After all if you're reading a real paper book and you need to understand a word don't you just get a dictionary (separately) and look the word up or look up the word online?

On another note there's also an ereader for Blackberry Playbook called PlayEPub which is very good and which you might want to include on your list. The developer is always upgrading it and since I've had it, they've added bookmarks and a lot more. I like it a lot.
    PlayEpub, epub ebook reader for Blackberry Playbook

I have ePub, PlayePub and the Kobo app. I use PlayEPub and BookReader for Playbook the most and in that order. I don't use the Kobo app as much.

Edit: I just saw your answer about the dictionary need.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 03-06-12 at 01:46 PM.
    03-05-12 03:46 PM
    On another note there's also an ereader for Blackberry Playbook called PlayEPub which is very good and which you might want to include on your list.
    Thanks I'll look into this.
    03-05-12 04:03 PM
    I can see how a dictionary is not a feature required by everybody. I don't think it's a question of reading beyond your level, I personnally use this feature for two main purposes :
    1. About 99% of the text I read are in english, which is to me a foreign language, so every now and then I stumble on words that I'm not 100% sure and use the dictionary.

2. I never read novel, only non-fiction and technical stuff, mostly psychology, math and economics. Again the dictionary is useful for some technical terms that I'm not familiar with (terms that I don't even know the equivalent in my first language even though I'm completing my post-grad degree in these subjects). I just made a quick check on the top 10 best selling book on amazon and 30% of them are non-fiction (50% of them are the hunger games in different versions) so I guess that other people too can at time find some technical word.

There's no denying that this could be seen as a goodie but since all the major : Kindle, Kobo, Ibooks, Nook offer this function I assume that there's a demand for it.

Indeed I never carry a dictionary with me when I read good old fashioned books because it's not practical but that's one of the many reasons eReader could be seen as progress.
    Totally different scenario, for your purposes. I hope you find suitable software for your needs. For the average English speaking veteran reader a program like Book Reader is perfectly adequate.
    03-05-12 04:09 PM
    Kobo Reader is COMPLETELY bugged on OS2: just look at the reviews on Apple World. I've been emailing Kobo Help since the install and get nowhere beyond the following replies:

1. Upgrade to OS 2.0.0.7091 - already told them I have OS2
    2. Reboot PlayBook - yep, their helpdesk is really this useless
    3. Delete Kobo Reader + reinstall v1.4.2.1 - not on Apple World

I really wish they would wake up and realize their code is bugged + FIX IT ALREADY.
    03-05-12 04:25 PM
    Kobo Reader is COMPLETELY bugged on OS2: just look at the reviews on Apple World. I've been emailing Kobo Help since the install and get nowhere beyond the following replies:

I really wish they would wake up and realize their code is bugged + FIX IT ALREADY.
    I have to admit that I only played with the app but since it doesn't support the import of your own epub didn't loose to much time... I'm aware of all the bugs people complain about but haven't experienced any on my own... But I'll add this to my Kobo description since it looks pretty common. Thanks
    03-05-12 04:30 PM
    I agree, the fact that one is reading a book implies that one is at least semi literate to begin with.
    This is, with respect, a bit of a simplistic view. Firstly, there's a lot of room between being, in your words, "semi literate", and knowing every english word in existence. Secondly, the way people expand their vocabularies is to take on dialogue with which they may be unfamiliar. Finally, it's not as simple as "big" words versus "small" words; it's often about looking up words which are no longer in common usage. For example, I'm currently reading one of the Flashman books (about a 19th century "gentleman"), and there are references throughout that need to be looked up...do you know, without looking, what "hartshorn" is?

So no...a dictionary is not absolutely necessary. I believe the point OP was making was, if one could have it, as opposed to not having it, why not?
    VeniceBB, GMah, Vorkosigan and 2 others like this.
    03-05-12 05:03 PM
    I agree that having a dictionary is a very nice feature, but not essential for most people. I will occasionally stumble upon an arcane word in a novel I'm reading and want to look it up. I like how the native reader on my HTC phone handles it: when you highlight a word or phrase, you get a little pop up menu of options, one of which is "Quick Lookup." If you choose that option, it fires up the browser and Googles the phrase for you. A Wikipedia or Dictionary.com entry is almost always near the top of the list. Seems like cheap, effective alternative to an on-board dictionary. Of course, you have to be connected to use it, so it wouldn't be so good if you are reading your PB on the bus....
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-05-12 05:20 PM
    This is, with respect, a bit of a simplistic view. Firstly, there's a lot of room between being, in your words, "semi literate", and knowing every english word in existence. Secondly, the way people expand their vocabularies is to take on dialogue with which they may be unfamiliar. Finally, it's not as simple as "big" words versus "small" words; it's often about looking up words which are no longer in common usage. For example, I'm currently reading one of the Flashman books (about a 19th century "gentleman"), and there are references throughout that need to be looked up...do you know, without looking, what "hartshorn" is?

So no...a dictionary is not absolutely necessary. I believe the point OP was making was, if one could have it, as opposed to not having it, why not?
    I have read most of the books in the Flashman series and can also recommend the authors Mr. American. Regarding Hartshorn I do not remember what it means, nor many of the other words I read over the years. That does not mean I would not have recognized it in the context of the narrative I was reading at the time, or that one always needs to look up the meaning of uncommon words or research historical facts while one is reading a story.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    03-05-12 05:48 PM
    Thanks I'll look into this.
    Also, I didn't see Overdrive Media Console in your list. It does have a dictionary and is a solid app brought over from Android. I use it and the Book Reader app as my e-readers and have given up on the Kobo reader. Will Just use it for buying books. I've noticed the weekly discount codes from Kobo are usually restricted by many of the top name publishing Co's.
    03-05-12 06:55 PM
    I have read most of the books in the Flashman series and can also recommend the authors Mr. American. Regarding Hartshorn I do not remember what it means, nor many of the other words I read over the years. That does not mean I would not have recognized it in the context of the narrative I was reading at the time, or that one always needs to look up the meaning of uncommon words or research historical facts while one is reading a story.
    It's a matter of opinion I suppose. I enjoy a variety of authors and I find some, Terry Pratchett comes to mind, who actually use the original meaning of a word, which can put a different slant on the interpretation of what I'm reading. Why would i bother carrying a dictionary when I can simply tap the word and get the expanded meaning right away?

To the OP - Good luck with your search and thanks for the info
    03-05-12 08:27 PM
    I have read most of the books in the Flashman series...
    Guilty pleasures, to be sure. The represent, in my view, one of the best arguments in favor of an ereader...those covers can be embarrassing if you're trying to read on the train.

...That does not mean I would not have recognized it in the context of the narrative I was reading at the time, or that one always needs to look up the meaning of uncommon words or research historical facts while one is reading a story...
    It's not a question of whether you need to look something up, but rather if you can. I appreciate having options.
    bbzoomr likes this.
    03-05-12 08:37 PM
    Also, I didn't see Overdrive Media Console in your list. It does have a dictionary and is a solid app brought over from Android. I use it and the Book Reader app as my e-readers and have given up on the Kobo reader. Will Just use it for buying books. I've noticed the weekly discount codes from Kobo are usually restricted by many of the top name publishing Co's.
    Just to make sure, I checked Overdrive Media Console quickly, from what I can understand, you can't actually import your own books? You can rent or buy from their store or affiliated library but you can't bring external content... I checked the desktop app and can't find a way to load epub files into the console...

Thanks
    03-06-12 05:59 AM
    I am using Anny eReader (it's free on App World) since most of the books I am reading are in FB2 format. It has full Cyrillic support (if anybody is interested), allows you to change font size, so far no issues found.
    03-06-12 09:42 AM

Kobo works perfectly fine on both my PB's running OS2. I read every night and frequently download samples and complete books. What is not working on yours?
    03-06-12 09:53 AM
    Interesting review. To address your main points, I use two free apps to achieve quite acceptable performance with non DRM epubs:

ePub Reader (just drop your epubs in the Documents folder)
    Arcus Dictionary (162,000 entries)

I carry very few ebooks on the PlayBook, as I use a Sony PRS 600 Touch for the 600+ titles I have, transferring books I like and consider worth keeping to the PlayBook. Eventually the Sony will be clear and I can retire it, but by then it'll probably be an antique
    03-06-12 11:33 AM
    To all of you that prefer Play Epub, have you tried Book Reader? i've attached two screenshots of the same page of the same book, one with Book Reader and the other with Play Epub,the book rendering of Play Epub seems grotesque in comparission with Book Reader, i don't care how many features the reader has if the books look like your reading them from a bare bones text editor.
    Attached Thumbnails The case of the perfect eReader on the Playbook-img_00000001.jpg   The case of the perfect eReader on the Playbook-img_00000002.jpg  
    03-06-12 11:58 AM
    Kobo works perfectly fine on both my PB's running OS2. I read every night and frequently download samples and complete books. What is not working on yours?
    I thought it was working pretty well too. My wife spent the last week using it for a paper for her gradutate degree this week. She was shifting between three books frequently using dogears and jumping around. It was constantly freezing on her or not allowing basic functionality (i.e. menu's no longer appeared, pages wouldn't turn, etc). we had to close it and reopen at least 3-4 times/day from Saturday- Monday.
    03-06-12 12:11 PM
    To all of you that prefer Play Epub, have you tried Book Reader? i've attached two screenshots of the same page of the same book, one with Book Reader and the other with Play Epub,the book rendering of Play Epub seems grotesque in comparission with Book Reader, i don't care how many features the reader has if the books look like your reading them from a bare bones text editor.
    Actually, the two I have are Book Reader and PlayEPub. I use them both, have different books on each and don't have any issues reading with PlayEPub.
    03-06-12 01:44 PM
    i find Moon Reader to be way better then all the other apps.
    what is the difference between the phone and tablet version? all you are doing is reading words... what differences can there possibly be?

It even reads the text to you (although the voice is annoying after 3 words) and has a great bookmark and customization set up. If you arent using MoonReader then you are doing it wrong!
    03-06-12 02:02 PM
    It's a matter of opinion I suppose. I enjoy a variety of authors and I find some, Terry Pratchett comes to mind, who actually use the original meaning of a word, which can put a different slant on the interpretation of what I'm reading. Why would i bother carrying a dictionary when I can simply tap the word and get the expanded meaning right away?

To the OP - Good luck with your search and thanks for the info
    Totally each his own. I feel it can spoil the rhythm of the narrative.
    03-06-12 06:29 PM
    I don't use the PB as my main reader because I have my Sony PRS-650 for that. However I love the dictionary feature on the Sony. It was one of my main reasons for switching from the original Kobo.

The dictionary feature is important to me. I love words and dictionaries anyway. Looking up a word doesn't impede the flow of the narrative at all, for me at any rate ... and in some cases it actually enhances what I'm reading and underscores the ability of an author to use very precise descriptions.

I have always read a great deal and prior to having an ereader with a dictionary, I used to keep a list of words to look up later, but that meant that I would lose the context of a given word. An additional advantage of the dictionary feature is the "word log" whereby you can revisit the last 100 words you looked up.

So, as a word/dictionary lover, I can understand the OP's reasons for wanting that feature.
    03-06-12 07:05 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD