07-01-11 01:03 AM
    i bought the leather version and im using it right now but i went ahead and order this one.
    07-01-11 01:07 AM
    At that price I ordered one even though I've got the leather version. Thanks for the heads up!
    07-01-11 02:44 AM
    I have wanted the Icon carbon fiber case but it is not available in the US. When I saw this post I checked out the one on Amazon. I think you may be disappointed when you receive it. The description says "Featuring a hard ABS body and carbon fiber design". I am a retired plastics chemist and I interpret that to mean that it is a plastic case that has been molded to look like carbon fiber. Which is NOT at all the same as carbon fiber. Good luck.
    07-01-11 10:27 AM
    I have wanted the Icon carbon fiber case but it is not available in the US. When I saw this post I checked out the one on Amazon. I think you may be disappointed when you receive it. The description says "Featuring a hard ABS body and carbon fiber design". I am a retired plastics chemist and I interpret that to mean that it is a plastic case that has been molded to look like carbon fiber. Which is NOT at all the same as carbon fiber. Good luck.
    Hackerguy since your a chemist is it true that carbon fiber blocks radio signals and that's why it's not used in phones?

Guess it would make more sense to ask this question if you had said you were an electrical engineer, but I thought you might have some insight.
    07-01-11 10:30 AM
    Carbon fiber does conduct electricity so it probably would block rf signals but I don't know that for sure.
    07-01-11 10:43 AM
    Did a little research and carbon fiber does block rf signals. Maybe someone who is using the Icon carbon fiber case could comment on how it affects signal strength.
    07-01-11 11:06 AM
    i dont think they are using a real carbon fiber.i think its the design that look like a carbon fiber maybe plastic that looks like carbon fiber
    07-01-11 11:48 AM
    Did a little research and carbon fiber does block rf signals. Maybe someone who is using the Icon carbon fiber case could comment on how it affects signal strength.
    I have the genuine ICON carbon fibre...no WIFI problem.
    07-01-11 12:29 PM
    I have the Icon 'Carbon Fiber' case. It works very well for me, and I have absolutely no problems with the signal strength.

To be clear, this case is NOT carbon fiber. It is softer leather (maybe fake leather), designed to look like carbon fiber.
    07-01-11 04:10 PM
    Yeah neither case is real carbon fiber. Just like the leather version isn't real leather.
    07-01-11 04:26 PM
    i love my otterbox. it does double the weight and keep it from fitting in my pocket, but it kinda makes it drop-proof too.
    07-01-11 04:37 PM
    I've got the otterbox too, and find it way too bulky. This carbon fiber (leather version) case is perfect for me. Good protection with a slim form. And it easily converts into a stand with three different angles.
    07-01-11 04:50 PM
    yeah as i said i have the leather version and i love it but i think this one is much better because the leather get dirty really easy.
    07-01-11 05:13 PM
    What is the grippyness factor of this case? Will it slide around on a smooth surface more than the leather one?
    08-23-11 03:58 PM
    i have one of those "carbon fibre" ones.. they are fantastic, but they arent carbon fibre, its a leatherette material to imitate it. but its very strong and well made.

oh and it is grippy!
    08-23-11 05:10 PM
    Yeah at $10 you can assume this isn't actually carbon fiber right off the bat...
    08-23-11 05:12 PM
    Done. For $13 shipped, I'll roll the dice. Thanks for the head's up.
    08-23-11 10:30 PM
    I've been thinking about it for that price. Sometimes I think that the Otterbox is too much. But getting it unsealed is not that easy and putting it back in without introducing dust/grit can be an issue, too. Right now, traipsing up and down stairs with the pb, I feel it is protected.
    08-23-11 11:00 PM
    Does anyone know if this case has a hole/window on the back so that the rear-facing camera can be used while the PlayBook is still inside the case, or does the device need to be removed from the case to expose the rear camera lens? Thnk you!
    11-22-11 04:59 PM
    Mine has a cutaway for the rear facing camera. But it's not from Amazon.
    11-22-11 06:06 PM
    I was all excited and tried to buy it, but its 23$ shipping to Canada... lol it kind of ruins the sale
    11-22-11 06:56 PM
    damn I love the narrow viewing angle on this and the liberties they took on minimizing extra bulk

anyone know how this compares to the OEM convertible case? I have it right now and I think its pretty decent but surprisingly heavy with the playbook in.

bulk/thickness added to the playbook is super important to me (mass isn't very important, but milimetres added is!)

thanks a lot
    11-22-11 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD