...because I'm eager to read that 1 thread and the other 800 redundant threads on 02/01 saying "They promised February but I received nothing yet!"

02/02 Another 500 threads more saying "RIM is a joke. Where's 2.0?"

Seriously, let's hope for an awesome upgrade with very few or no discrepancies.
    I have high hopes for that upgrade and future software development.
    01-06-12 07:34 PM
    You missed at least a "7" in that date, however, since nobody ever thought they meant February 1st!

At this point I'm assuming we won't see it except in a demonstration until Mobile World Congress 2012 (Feb 27 to Mar 1)

It might be earlier, but I'd like to be surprised by RIM in a positive way, for a change.
    01-06-12 07:40 PM
    ...At this point I'm assuming we won't see it except in a demonstration until Mobile World Congress 2012 (Feb 27 to Mar 1)...
    You're likely right.
    01-06-12 07:44 PM
    I expect a month-long countdown beginning February 1st and continuing until February 29th at which time the only thing we will hear from Waterloo is the sound of crickets. Of worse, an incremental point-release from 1.0.8 to 1.0.9 missing 99% of announced features with a "coming soon" proclamation. I want the tablet to succeed but all faith in management at a certain company is mostly exhausted. Colonel Klink and Sergeant Sholtz were more credible than co-CEO Balsillie and co-CEO Lazaridis.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-06-12 07:50 PM
    ...because I'm eager to read that 1 thread and the other 800 redundant threads on 02/01 saying "They promised February but I received nothing yet!"

Seriously, let's hope for an awesome upgrade with very few or no discrepancies.
    I have high hopes for that upgrade and future software development.
    Nowhere did they promise anyone Feb 1st. Or 28th. Or 29th. Did they even say categorically February? Or is that more speculation? Hard dates seem to magically appear from nowhere it seems...
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-06-12 08:08 PM
    I expect a month-long countdown beginning February 1st and continuing until February 29th at which time the only thing we will hear from Waterloo is the sound of crickets.
    So I take it you don't even believe the reports that they'll be showing off 2.0 at CES next week?

Or you just think they'll demonstrate it but not bother releasing it next month at all?
    01-06-12 08:13 PM
    Nowhere did they promise anyone Feb 1st. Or 28th. Or 29th. Did they even say categorically February? Or is that more speculation? Hard dates seem to magically appear from nowhere it seems...
    Naive? Don't take it as it's said.
    01-06-12 08:14 PM
    They have have indicated that no further updates to 1.x will occur though other than security patches. The wording I saw in the beta zone from Rim was that version 1.07 is done and all of their resources are being applied to version 2.0.
    01-06-12 08:16 PM
    They have have indicated that no further updates to 1.x will occur though other than security patches. The wording I saw in the beta zone from Rim was that version 1.07 is done and all of their resources are being applied to version 2.0.
    Make sense.
    01-06-12 08:19 PM
    Even if the deadline slips a little into April, I would like to the OS done right than rushed out with bugs.
    Daruba, bbfan1040, RicThot and 6 others like this.
    01-06-12 08:20 PM
    I'm no great RIM fan, but I now think we will get OS2 in February (didn't at first). Why? I have the latest Beta OS2 on my Playbook right now, and it works quite well. Of course, it doesn't have some of the features promised for OS2; but, with a few tweaks that RIM probably has had time to handle (VOIP stuttering, shaky bluetooth, etc.), it should be ready for release, even if it turns out to lack things that RIM can promise to supply later in future releases.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-06-12 08:21 PM
    Not sure what "categorically" means in this context, but they did state February. Several times in different contexts.

We've also seen the date "February 17" appear magically from several places, none of them official but some apparently internal.

And lately we've had at least the official promises of actual demos (as originally promised for DevCon in October) for CES next week.
    01-06-12 08:27 PM
    Naive? Don't take it as it's said.
    Excuse me, kindly refrain from name calling. It's unnecessary.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-06-12 08:29 PM
    Excuse me, kindly refrain from name calling. It's unnecessary.
    Sigh...Just asking my friend, just asking.

It's all good man.
    01-06-12 08:32 PM
    Not sure what "categorically" means in this context, but they did state February. Several times in different contexts.

We've also seen the date "February 17" appear magically from several places, none of them official but some apparently internal.

And lately we've had at least the official promises of actual demos (as originally promised for DevCon in October) for CES next week.
    The Feb. 17th date is what my friend who works for RIM told me last night. May not be right at all but its whats being communicated internally at the company.

but thats not an official date given to the public or anything. I'm sure its their goal date though.
    jtvoxboi and River Boy like this.
    01-06-12 08:38 PM
    I'm betting on January 31 midnite. Wouldn't that be a hoot.
    01-06-12 08:41 PM

Categorically means exactly what it means in any other context... RIM officially saying "it will be released on X date, which I haven't seen. If it exists feel free to point me to it - I could easily have missed it. My point is that I've seen dates appearing and bandied about and sometimes it has the feel of rumour and hope becoming fact.

Hopefully we will have the update in February (I hope we do for several reasons), but should we not I would hope in addition to berating RIM for the latest promise fail people will actually be able to quote that promised date chapter and verse.
    01-06-12 08:46 PM
    I'm betting on January 31 midnite. Wouldn't that be a hoot.
    That would indeed be cool. But Janurary 30th would be better.
    01-06-12 08:48 PM
    RIM has typically done things in the middle of the month.
    01-06-12 09:08 PM

No, you will actually start reading those redundant threads on 3/1/2012
    01-06-12 09:38 PM
    Sigh...Just asking my friend, just asking.

It's all good man.
    OK... perhaps I misunderstood...I just re-read your initial post and I think you were being sarcastic, if so, please accept my apologies. I missed the sarcasm. I did think you were calling me naive though.

However I am not a man.
    01-06-12 10:18 PM
    So I take it you don't even believe the reports that they'll be showing off 2.0 at CES next week?

Or you just think they'll demonstrate it but not bother releasing it next month at all?
    Let's just say we have all borne witness to previous smoke and mirrors presentations by Research In Motion in regards to the BlackBerry PlayBook. I am not being negative, just realistic in my expectations.
    01-06-12 11:14 PM
    Okay, does someone have a link to the post - the official rim blog was it, where that guy announced the delay but mentioned, February? I am pretty sure it actually had the month if not a day in the month. I also believe it hinted at 2012!!!!! Although, that may have been the famous EXPECT blog!
    01-07-12 12:26 AM
    You missed at least a "7" in that date, however, since nobody ever thought they meant February 1st!

At this point I'm assuming we won't see it except in a demonstration until Mobile World Congress 2012 (Feb 27 to Mar 1)

It might be earlier, but I'd like to be surprised by RIM in a positive way, for a change.
    For some odd reason, I thought it was Feb 4th or 8th. Maybe I got the dates a little mixed up with the 991. I have that car driving circles in my mind 24/7.

Even if the deadline slips a little into April, I would like to the OS done right than rushed out with bugs.
    I don't think Rim can handle another delay. I think people would be %#$@ing pissed (and rightfully so). Fingers crossed that they deliver because a delay will further damage their image. GL RIM. I sincerely hope you deliver.
    01-07-12 02:05 AM
    Okay, does someone have a link to the post - the official rim blog was it, where that guy announced the delay but mentioned, February? I am pretty sure it actually had the month if not a day in the month. I also believe it hinted at 2012!!!!! Although, that may have been the famous EXPECT blog!
    F2, I had the same memory, but checked and don't suppose one would call what he said "categorical" if we use a definition I had to look up, which is "Unambiguously explicit and direct".

An Update on BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.0 �Inside BlackBerry - The Official BlackBerry Blog

He said: "So when could an end user get the new update? We expect to deliver the new BlackBerry PlayBook OS to customers in February 2012 and we�ll continue to keep you updated as we progress to the launch."

So merely they "expect" to get it to us in February. There's still room for delay in that.

I do, however, take the announcements of impending demonstrations of it as a very good sign, given that we expected those at DevCon followed by a release within a few weeks. If they're ready to demonstrate now, it seems to me February is truly an achievable target.
    yunvi and Lhendr like this.
    01-07-12 07:37 AM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD