Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Innovatology
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can't use HTTP proxy?

I'm trying to use the HTTP proxy setting for wifi but it doesn't accept the URL.

I'm going to Settings > Wifi > Saved Networks > (name of wifi connection) > Checked "Use HTTP Proxy" > and in the Proxy Server box I'm putting in the URL to the proxy server (http://www.proxy.[url].com/proxy.pac)

It just returns the error: "Must be a valid IP address or domain name"

Any ideas?

Thanks
    CrackBerry Master

A proxy is never a URL but always just a host name, for instance proxy.company.com

This URL probably points to a proxy-auto-config file. I don't think those are supported. You could download that file and open it in a text editor to see what it does.

ORBIT for BB10 - The World In Your Pocket - World, Time, Weather in spectacular 3D. Demo on our site!

Files & Folders
    for PlayBook and BB10: a powerful unified file, folder & cloud manager and media streamer with integrated SkyDrive, Google Docs, Google Drive, SugarSync, Dropbox, Box, thumbnails and more - Free 3-day trial! - Voted Best New BlackBerry App
    Herve5 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

it certainly can use proxy, i'm using it all the time, but as far as i know the open proxy you normally find online should be an IP address, with a port number, for example 132.53.7.80, port 8080 ( i made it up, don't try it ) and if the proxy can be an URL, or a host name (which beyond my knowledge base), from your description i'd guess that your proxy doesn't work because you didn't enter the port number. hope it helps.
    CrackBerry Master

Proxies are certainly supported, but probably not proxy-auto-config (.pac) files. There are other mechanisms such as BES and DHCP to do that in a more reliable & standardized way. A .pac file contains a JavaScript function. You could look at that function in Notepad to see what the proxy should be.
    ORBIT for BB10 - The World In Your Pocket - World, Time, Weather in spectacular 3D. Demo on our site!

Files & Folders
    for PlayBook and BB10: a powerful unified file, folder & cloud manager and media streamer with integrated SkyDrive, Google Docs, Google Drive, SugarSync, Dropbox, Box, thumbnails and more - Free 3-day trial! - Voted Best New BlackBerry App