I have a 16gb BB Playbook that I got the end of November. Last week I tried out the OS 2.0, it was pretty buggy and apps weren't functioning well. Because of that I tried to roll back to 1.08. While doing that the entire unit bricked up and I haven't been able to recover since. I have tried hard and soft resets, as well as a full security wipe with no success. Everytime I try to update the OS it gets all the way to end and tells me there was an error. My DM tells me I am running the 1.08, but the only thing I ever see is the boot screen with the color bubbles. I am at my wits end and really don't want to call a (no) help line unless I desperately have too. Anyone have a outside the box idea of what I can do?????????
    01-25-12 08:41 AM
    Do a search and you'll find a fix that involves hooking the unit up to a usb cable and your pc and using RIMS desktop manager. I believe you hook it up with the unit off and DM should download the update for you. I've not done it and am going by memory, so do a quick search.
    01-25-12 08:46 AM
    Are you plugging it into your computer while off and opening dm and waiting until it is loaded and then turning your pb on and choosing update?
    01-25-12 08:46 AM
    Try this..

I did not have problem downgrading at all. what i did was

1. secure wipe
    2. full shut down
    3. ran blackberry desktop
    4. connected playbook to pc with usb cable
    5. chose upgrade from message that poped out after connecting playbook
    6. software downloaded and installed on playbook
    01-25-12 08:52 AM
    Try this..
    That method works perfectly. I just used it myself. Be aware that the option box pops up fairly quickly and you have to choose update before it defaults to desktop software.
    01-25-12 09:18 AM
    I have searched many, many forums, including the BB website forum. I have powered down, plugged into the computer, started DM, it stated it couldn't connect, then I selected update. It went through the entire download/install, got to the end and said there was an error.
    01-25-12 09:19 AM
    You may need to make a call to to tech support, believe it, they were and are very helpful when I have called. Can't hurt and may fix.
    01-25-12 09:36 AM
    Thanks. I might have to break down and do it. Thanks everyone for at least checking in. I appreciate the suggestions.
    01-25-12 09:37 AM
    I had a hard time downgrading from one of the betas once as well. The steps jafobabe pointed to are the way to do it, even if it takes a lot of time and patience...
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-25-12 11:30 AM
    I also tried the de brick method for about 5 times with no luck. At one instance i got a message that the software was successfully installed but when it powered up again it got stuck on the screen with colours, i left it like that the whole night with the hope that it will be fixed but no luck. I'm in south africa so calling rim may be costly for me especially if i have to go through a call centre first. Guess i may have to start looking for another PB.
    01-29-12 01:06 AM
    I have a fair share of horror tales, my fa orite is the one I end up with OS1 as base and a handful of OS2 apps (that didn't work at all).

I'll post the pics later.

Restart the downgrade process, it will eventually work.

EDIT: Here they are. I was happy for a moment thinking I could have a proper podcast app on stable OS but nothing worked.

Last edited by diegonei; 01-30-12 at 12:37 PM.
    01-29-12 09:18 AM
    I also tried the de brick method for about 5 times with no luck. At one instance i got a message that the software was successfully installed but when it powered up again it got stuck on the screen with colours, i left it like that the whole night with the hope that it will be fixed but no luck. I'm in south africa so calling rim may be costly for me especially if i have to go through a call centre first. Guess i may have to start looking for another PB.
    You could try the EMAIL route:

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805
    01-29-12 10:34 AM
    There are a couple thing to know about the debrick method. Make sure your Playbook has at least 20% better 40% battery. Make sure there is a wireless signal available for the finishing of the process. Hope this helps
    01-29-12 12:00 PM
    You could try the EMAIL route:

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected]
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805
    Thanks I did email them but what I also did was to contact the person I bought it from and he is out of 16GB and instead he'll and me a 64GB
    01-30-12 08:46 AM
    Thanks I did email them but what I also did was to contact the person I bought it from and he is out of 16GB and instead he'll send me a 64GB because he won't be stocking 16GB's anymore. Lucky me :-)
    01-30-12 08:47 AM
    Sounds good. Hope all works out well.
    01-30-12 09:51 AM
    I hope it works out well, too.
    this is making me very leery about trying it.
    Will it be necessary with OS2 as well?
    I mean, is this practice or jumping ahead of the game?
    TIA
    01-30-12 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD