Just spent most of the day with PB support. They are about as usefull as my 10 year old son. I have almost had it. Cant decide if its going to be a frisbee or a beer coaster. Leaning towards frisbee though cuz then its done for sure.....
    WHY CANT I OPEN ATTACHMENTS. Some I can, most I cant.
    What is the best way to reload the newest software thru my Desktop manager. The support "team" couldnt even help me do that.
    Any ideas. or just be done with it and go all Apple.
    03-17-12 05:08 PM
    Well, you need to be a bit more specific.

What happens when you can't open?

Do you get some kind of error message?

What kind of attachment?

Is this with bridged or native email?
    03-17-12 05:12 PM
    Sorry you are so frustrated with the playbook. What type or kind of attachments are you attempting to open? Are they email attachments? What kind of email account is it if it is an email attachment? The answer to these questions will help us help you.
    03-17-12 05:14 PM
    yes, go to apple. the solution to everything.
    pcguy514 and mem0ryburn like this.
    03-17-12 05:22 PM
    Are you sure the attachments didn't go to the Docs to Go or File Manager apps?
    03-17-12 05:30 PM
    HI.
    I get these email attachments from work. I got them once a week. I think they are "word" documents.
    When I go to download them, it shows loading, file size, then the green checkmark. Tap on that, it says "file already exists" "rename or cancel". Hit rename, the file "disappears" and goes back to the same screen showing "rename or cancel". this goes on and on.
    Go to "docs to go", and file isnt there. Hit "browse", and a file is SOMETIMES there. Highlite, click open, file disappears, and goes back to "browse"
    Heres the weird part. I sent the attachment to a Playbook support guy ( a very nice guy, seems very helpful) and he says he CAN open it (on his PB). Sends it back to me, and THEN, I can open it ?????????
    He isnt working today, and girl today tried to send me link to re download OS 2. But she couldnt even get that going. That was the frustrating part.
    Hope this explains my problem. Thanks people. I REALLY want to like this thing, as I am a BB diehard fan. But seeing how seemless my wife and sons Apple stuff is, makes me wonder sometimes.
    Chris.
    03-17-12 06:26 PM
    I have even downloaded "Box", a file managing app. It wants to try to download, the attachment, says its trying, wheels spin, then nothing ??
    And in the "file manager", the attachment IS there, you can tap on it, promting you to "open", but then when you tap it......nothing?
    03-17-12 06:30 PM
    I'm not one to normally suggest "drastic action", but have you considered trying a security wipe? That would wipe the device and give you a clean install of OS2. You'll have to re-download any apps you've installed, but it should clear up the problem, I would think.
    03-17-12 06:32 PM
    What is the extension of the files? I think the pb only sees. .docx files.
    03-17-12 06:39 PM
    Could you be downloading the attachments using the bridge email? If so, the downloaded attachments would be saved on your BB phone instead of your playbook. Just a thought.
    03-17-12 06:41 PM
    Native, bridged, it doesnt seem to matter
    03-17-12 06:51 PM
    There is a quirk, I've run into it with my Simple Media Server 4 PlayBook.

If you are using html to download a file, and the mimetype is not correctly set, from the server, say they are using the common practice of attempting to force a download by setting the mimetype to application/octet the PlayBook will appear to download the file, but do nothing, nothing in webbrowser downloads, and nothing on the device, except maybe a 0k file in downloads.

Same code and server configuration works on every other device and pc browser I've tried.
    03-17-12 06:54 PM
    Which OS are you on? Since you mention OS2 and Desktop Manager?

Back to a question asked:

Are you using the BRIDGE Mail? If so, attachments wind up saved to your bb phone. We can tell you where - it is part of rim security. Bridge stuff stays on the phone (generally).

If you are using the new Native email, then the files should be in downloads or documents on the pb. But sometimes, files don't get saved with the proper extension xxx.jpg or yyy.doc (yyy.docx).

Get the FREE air browser which will allow you to look around.
    03-17-12 07:15 PM
    I know this post won't help solve your problem, but since we are on the topic... I have been having issues with opening word, excel, and pp ever since the OS2 release. Some open, some don't. When it doesn't work, It just does nothing. Happens with docs already saved on the pb as well as ones from email and downloaded from Dropbox. I thought it might have something to do with a portion of my older files not being in docx format, but when I re-save as docx, I still get nothing. I've tried a security wipe, but no luck. Is it true that docs to go is useless for anything created using Office 2003? My older netbook still has that version and I haven't bothered upgrading.
    03-17-12 08:53 PM
    Air Browser didnt seem to help. It just seems funny my phone (Bold) opens the attachment with ease, and the PB cant do it.
    But it has opened them before, actually, before the OS2 update. And again, when the RIM support guy sent me my own attachment, it opens easily ???
    03-17-12 09:56 PM
    I have been having issues with opening word, excel, and pp ever since the OS2 release. Some open, some don't. When it doesn't work, It just does nothing. Happens with docs already saved on the pb as well as ones from email and downloaded from Dropbox.
    I just got a solution from PB Tech Support for a similar problem. There is a bug in Docs to Go - you can't have a comma or special character in the file name, just the dot before "doc" or "docx". Files that would open in Word (both .doc and .docx) before I upgraded to 2.0 wouldn't open after 2.0. I've removed the commas from the file names and the files open normally now. Every file that wouldn't open had a comma in the file name; I just hadn't seen the pattern. Tech Support didn't know when the fix would be out but they're working on that bug and a few others in Docs to Go.
    BuzzStarField likes this.
    03-19-12 04:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD