CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can't get started

I have just finished trying to set up my second Playbook. I figured the first one had to be faulty, so I replaced it. Second one is the same. Takes about 3 minutes to find networks. It can only see 3, although my Netbook sitting next to it can see 8. Can't connect to my home network. Connected to a neighbour's open network. Third screen in - no countries to choose from, so that's as far as it goes.

What am I missing?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin:s & Needle:s

I had that happen once during a set up. I rebooted and was able to proceed a few more steps, rebooted once more and then completed the set up. Not too sure what caused the hang-ups but all was fine after that.

I hope this helps.
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

How do you reboot?
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by pedvic View Post
    How do you reboot?
    Hold the power button and volume + until the screen goes blank. The PB will restart.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,803 Global Posts

That should be power and both volume buttons to reboot
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by djenkins6 View Post
    That should be power and both volume buttons to reboot
    Seems to me the volume - isn't required. Give it a try.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Tried the reboot. No change - on the Agreement screen there are no countries in the drop-down.

Does it always take 3 minutes to start up?
    CrackBerry Genius

The boot time seems about right.
    I remember reading about the problem your having but don't recall the solution. The PB has free 90 days tech support. Maybe they have an answer for you.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    PIN
    2868AE69

Holding down the power button alone for three seconds will cause the reboot if its on OS2 or later OS 1 you had to do all three buttons. Try setting it up when your sat next to your wireless hub. It should be able to see it just make sure it is set to show all networks and not open ones. I had problems setting up my first playbook but that was due to a crap network connection in the hotel I was stopping in at the time.
    CrackBerry Master

I remember when I first started my playbook, it took a long time to boot up. I just turned it on and left it alone and checked on it from time to time. I just thought it was because it had so much to boot up - a 32gig OS compared to my 8gig iPod touch. Maybe just let boot for a few hours, or overnight and check it in the morning.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    22,526 Global Posts
    PIN
    "Runs with Scissors"

If you want, you can see the User Guide on the clickable link in red below. You also can save it to your PC or the PB, as it's in pdf format.
    (BBM # 5)
    CB 5K 50K,100K 500K Challenge Thread
    CrackBerry User

With my PB, the first time I set it up, I had to change the settings of my WiFi router for the PB to connect to the network. I set it to force 802.11n with the 20Mhz bandwidth on the 2.4 GHz channel. For whatever reason, 40Mhz causes a bad WiFi connection. Once the initial setup was done and the OS updated, I changed back the router setting to what they were before and everything now runs fine.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: Can't get started

I have just finished trying to set up my second Playbook. I figured the first one had to be faulty, so I replaced it. Second one is the same. Takes about 3 minutes to find networks. It can only see 3, although my Netbook sitting next to it can see 8. Can't connect to my home network. Connected to a neighbour's open network. Third screen in - no countries to choose from, so that's as far as it goes.

What am I missing?
    well its probably because the pb's wifi can only receive certain bands due to it type. (wireless b, wireless g, then there's wireless bg...m and a netbooks wifi probaby has waay more strenghth ...like wireless n maybe.. if ur on band a(2.4mhz) that one is only compatible with wireless n and highter, the radio frequecency isn't visiable to b and g networks.

one thing u can try...and I did this a million times yester day fighting with my 4g clear spot voyager..enter the ssid and all the info manually, as it is in the main router... I hate changing my ssid on my router cuz then I have to manualy enter the info on my pb...
    I just had my first RIMISM today!!!!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by CarlJF View Post
    With my PB, the first time I set it up, I had to change the settings of my WiFi router for the PB to connect to the network. I set it to force 802.11n with the 20Mhz bandwidth on the 2.4 GHz channel. For whatever reason, 40Mhz causes a bad WiFi connection. Once the initial setup was done and the OS updated, I changed back the router setting to what they were before and everything now runs fine.
    sooo sooo bad... I spent 12 hours trying to get my clear spot 4g wifi router back to channel 7... I had been messing with seetings in the routers browser, figured id try chennel 6...and I had some other settig set to recieber 40mhz...dear god, by 5am I walk a quarter mile from my house with my clear spot and my bb 8520...and finnnally the wimax towsers conne ted to my clear spot.

lesson is.....don't fix it if it ain't broke.. leave well enough alone lol
    CrackBerry Abuser

I had this problem on the Agreement screen with no countries showing on the pulldown. I went back a screen or two to a Language screen and changed it to English and US. When I went forward to the Agreement Screen it finally gave the selection of countries.

I'm not in the States and I believe I had originally selected English and Canada on the earlier screen. Not sure why it was an issue.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Tried the reboot. No change - on the Agreement screen there are no countries in the drop-down.

Does it always take 3 minutes to start up?
    lol that's the price u pay for security. rim/blackbberry has always been that way...not much longer till bb10 and all that will be solved. a multi micro kernel os will basiclly never have to be rebooted...and will never crash.. cannnt wait!!
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Lots of ideas here. I'll talk to my ISP tomorrow and try some.

Thanks...