Hello,

I bought my PB end of last week and got the upgrade to 2.0.1 straight away.

Haven't been able to use Bing Maps, ever: app screen remains blank but it surprisingly launches the Bing Maps page in the browser ???

I installed the native SDK and tried the Geolocation sample app but it gets stuck on the "Geolocation getting first fix" message, even after an hour on my terrace.

Is this normal? Shouldn't it default back to network/wifi geolocation? Should I return the tablet for an exchange?

Too bad about the GPS (and the lack of 3G, but I knew that), because otherwise I love the tablet and its form factor.
    04-24-12 06:01 PM
    I don't know what you mean by native sdk or the geolocation app but try this:
    There is an app in appworld called gps info. Free native app. Install that and reboot.
    It seems to work better then most for me. Works inside by a window. Free compass app works as well.
    It may take some time for that first fix but certainly not more then an hour.
    You must have a clear view of the sky as well. Away from tall buildings and trees.
    After you get it the first time it should work much quicker. I can get a fix in 10-20 seconds now.

There is no assisted GPS with the PB as far as I know. Just you and a satellite.
    04-24-12 06:39 PM
    I've never gotten a definite answer on whether the pb's gps actually falls back to using wifi-ip-whatever to do a "close by" gps reading.

You mention your terrace but if you are on the second floor of a 30 story highrise surrounded by similar structures, you are probably not getting a good view of the sky. A first fix using the methods mentioned above can take 15-30 minutes. After that it would be faster.
    04-24-12 06:53 PM
    Shouldn't it default back to network/wifi geolocation?
    Some apps will do this but not put you at your exact location. It will locate your service provider's connection to the internet. There are web sites that will locate you based on your IP address. You can Google or Bing (or whatever search engine you prefer) "IP address locator" to find some.

Without a GPS fix, these services as well as Google Maps, locate me about 3 miles away from my home. Once I get a GPS fix, Google Maps puts me right at my home address.
    04-24-12 06:59 PM
    I use my PB every time i go hiking or 4x4ing. I find the slightest bit of cloud cover will mess with the GPS single. Even if it is a clear day, the PB GPS is not that great. It is what it is.
    04-24-12 07:22 PM
    I use my PB every time i go hiking or 4x4ing. I find the slightest bit of cloud cover will mess with the GPS single. Even if it is a clear day, the PB GPS is not that great. It is what it is.
    It may be the app your using and not the GPS in the PB. It works fine for me in the car with Magellan compass. It shows the same thing as my factory navigation. I can't say it works in extreme weather because I haven't used it then but rain or clouds doesn't affect me.
    04-24-12 07:41 PM
    Thanks! I eventually got a fix this morning while driving my car (still using the sample app from the SDK). Should be faster now, but could not test Bing Maps (no data connection).

What I still don't understand is why Bing Maps did not show me anything (blank page) and started the browser with the Bing Maps web page instead
    04-25-12 02:24 AM
    Thanks! I eventually got a fix this morning while driving my car (still using the sample app from the SDK). Should be faster now, but could not test Bing Maps (no data connection).

What I still don't understand is why Bing Maps did not show me anything (blank page) and started the browser with the Bing Maps web page instead
    Did you perchance touch the word "BING" at the upper right corner instead of the "gps-circle" icon? That does bring up the browser.

That is just the way MS designed Bing, I guess. In my case it brings up a western portion of the US in what looks like satellite image.
    04-25-12 08:57 AM
    Eventually got to test Bing Maps with GPS fix and WiFi coverage. Still shows a blank map area, and still automatically launches the browser without any user input.

Oh well... I have installed Magellan Maps so Bing Maps is less relevant now. I'll investigate a wipe/reinstall option but no urgency.

Thanks for your help anyway.
    04-26-12 09:24 AM
    Eventually got to test Bing Maps with GPS fix and WiFi coverage. Still shows a blank map area, and still automatically launches the browser without any user input.

Oh well... I have installed Magellan Maps so Bing Maps is less relevant now. I'll investigate a wipe/reinstall option but no urgency.

Thanks for your help anyway.
    What country are you in? Perhaps Bing doesn't support your area.
    04-26-12 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD