Hello,

Until recently both at home and while travelling I've used my Playbook to listen to internet radio: things like CBC, NPR and BBC. Suddenly I can't get BBC World Service or BBC 4 anymore. I click on my bookmark which takes me to their main pages. Once there I have the option to click on a listen icon ("listen live"). If I'm doing that on my laptop in the kitchen no problem; I click, a new page appears, loads and I'm listening away. If I try to do the same on my Playbook I'm immediately taken to a new window that asks me to save an attachment - with World Service I get "eueuk.pls", with BBC 4, "r4_heaacv2.pls". I have no idea what these mean, but if I click "save" I get an anouncement that the download is complete and then a black screen. Nothing else.

Anyone any idea what might be going on here. Got to solve this somehow.

John
    12-25-12 10:34 PM
    It's trying to pay a playlist (.pls) file. What application does your laptop launch to play this file?
    canada john likes this.
    12-25-12 10:36 PM
    When I hit that "listen live" option, and am taken to a screen that says "save attachment, and hit "save", I'm just led to a page that says "downloads" on top. It lists that BBC thing/attachment "eueuk.pls". On this page I have the option "open file". If I click that I get a message that says "Unable to find the default app".
    12-25-12 10:48 PM
    If you go to bing and type in bbc radio four and select the Wikipedia site there is a link to Four's official site. That will take you through to get the streaming service. I also had the problem you had and don't have any idea why this over that is still okay.

Here is the link from from the Wikipedia article:

BBC - Radio 4 - Home

Here is the direct link to the live broadcast if you don't want to run through the screens after going to the above:

BBC - Radio 4 Shipping Forecast - 26/12/2012

If you're getting the same problem with the other radio services I'm guessing the Wikipedia route should also work. Or just change the web link from four to three, two, or one. That does.
    canada john likes this.
    12-25-12 11:23 PM
    Oops, don't know how that shipping forecast part got included in the second link. It was just on but didn't appear in the web address I copied. Well, just go to the official site and negotiate through from there.
    canada john likes this.
    12-25-12 11:31 PM
    Well, one more try to clarify links I posted.

That first link I posted was taken off the wikipedia article. It worked when I was first using it and now doesn't seem to? Sorry 'bout that. If you go to Bing and type wikipedia bbc radio 4 and try the bbc iPlayer webstreaming links for FM service or LW Service those should work.

The second link I saved directly from the working livestreaming radio's address bar which was not showing the name of that currently running program. Copying and pasting the link into CB then did. ??? Nonetheless, Shipping Forecast included, that link also works for the bbc4's live site. And, once there if you go to the address bar you'll see the address I did. Change the last part from four to one, two, or three will give you the bbc one, two, or three's live broadcasts.

Lesson me learned from this? When adding links along with a reply it is best to use the Go Advanced reply feature. Then I'd see how it displays before it's sent. And I can also confirm each works from there, too.
    canada john likes this.
    12-26-12 06:12 AM
    Have you tried the Nobex Radio free in appworld? This is what I use to listen to radio stations including the BBC radio 4. But if you reside in a country other than in UK then you might need to pay.
    Btw, BBC may have imposed restrictions as to in which countries their services are available.

Your second link works just fine in my PB. Don't worry about the name the link appeared with.
    canada john likes this.
    12-26-12 06:35 AM
    Thanks.
    For Radio 4 I went to the BBC site through Wikipedia and on there was able to, as you suggest, choose FM WebStreaming. That took me directly to the listening page (i.e., by-passed the Home Page and its link to live feed, which was the source of the problem). I've bookmarked that page, so now have direct connection to a listening site. World Service was a bit stranger. Wikipedia did not offer a WebStreaming link. I forget what I put into Bing directly - something like "World Service on-line" - but the site I got directed me to a page (again avoiding the troublesome Home Page and its links) that lets me listen. It's not the page I used to get (the sister page to the BBC 4 one I am now able to get). It's called "Watch BBC World Service live at Livestation.com"), but it works.
    Thanks again for the help.
    But all this is still a mystery, eh?
    Hope Blackeberry engineers are reading this.

John
    12-26-12 04:16 PM