My Playbook cant seem to connect to my PC via WiFi and as a result, I cannot transfer files wirelessly. Im running Windows 7 and both laptop and Playbook are connected to the same network. USB connection works fine but cant seem to get it to show up on the Network on my Windows 7 laptop. Any ideas as to how to resolve this issue? Thanks in advance.

PS: Playbook is running OS 2.1.0.840 if that helps.
    08-31-12 10:49 PM
    did the ip address change? sometimes on my router it changes the ip address cuzz I havent set up a dynamic ip address, so what you do is goto your control panel on your playbook goto wifi then press the little signal with question mark icon at the bottom left a bit and then choose internet connection and the first line is your ip address...memorize it or write it down, then goto the computer and goto "my computer" then at the top click on "map network drive" then a window will pop up and ask what letter you want for the new drive (which I choose P for PLAYBOOK) and then in the empty spot where it says "folder" you write \\192.168.0.xxx\media xxx is the last 3 numbers of the ip address you memorized/wrote down and then click finish and a new window should open up with all your folders on the playbook...you can now transfer stuff back and forth...drag N drop
    Last edited by beman39; 08-31-12 at 11:26 PM.
    luqman24 and brianatbb like this.
    08-31-12 11:24 PM
    Did it connect before getting the beta?

Do you have the BB Device Manager and its drivers installed? I think that the drives can be obtained separately or maybe with BB Desktop Software (affectionately known at Desktop Manager (dm))
    08-31-12 11:46 PM
    Try Dukto (in my signature). Hassle-free Wifi sending to any device.
    08-31-12 11:53 PM
    Try resetting the router as well
    09-01-12 04:52 AM
    You might want to try sideloading ES File Explorer. You can access your PC's shared folders with it and copy from and paste to them over wifi. (You can do this also with Ghost Commander, but I haven't been able to connect to my PC with Ghost since going to beta 2.1).
    dc scotland likes this.
    09-01-12 10:51 AM
    Start, run, \\your pb ip\media
    09-01-12 11:13 AM
    You might want to try sideloading ES File Explorer. You can access your PC's shared folders with it and copy from and paste to them over wifi. (You can do this also with Ghost Commander, but I haven't been able to connect to my PC with Ghost since going to beta 2.1).
    I don't seem to be successful or knowledgeable enough to get either of those methods working. I don't think my Vista 64 has any password on it but I always get some kind of error about the log in or process. Although, with ES File Explorer I just did manage to get to a usb drive hooked directly to my router (e3200). So that's better than nothing.
    09-01-12 03:26 PM
    I'm having a similar problem. So far I have traced it to a networking issue in Win7, stil fighting with it.

My scenario:
    * Win7Pro, working fine on internet (wiFi works for outbound-initiated connections).
    * Unable to PING the notebook from any other host. The IP is known and correct. Other hosts can PING every other device on the network. Conclusion: Firewall problem.
    * Windows firewall is OFF (I disabled it) but still unable to PING. Found another firewall embedded in antivirus Used the online config and waiting for it to shut down.

More as it develops
    09-01-12 03:54 PM
    did the ip address change? sometimes on my router it changes the ip address cuzz I havent set up a dynamic ip address, so what you do is goto your control panel on your playbook goto wifi then press the little signal with question mark icon at the bottom left a bit and then choose internet connection and the first line is your ip address...memorize it or write it down, then goto the computer and goto "my computer" then at the top click on "map network drive" then a window will pop up and ask what letter you want for the new drive (which I choose P for PLAYBOOK) and then in the empty spot where it says "folder" you write \\192.168.0.xxx\media xxx is the last 3 numbers of the ip address you memorized/wrote down and then click finish and a new window should open up with all your folders on the playbook...you can now transfer stuff back and forth...drag N drop
    This worked!! Thanks a bunch man!!!! I would kiss you right now LOL

PS: what worked for me was \\192.168.0.xxx\media without the last 3 numbers after media but thank you so much
    09-01-12 10:39 PM
    This worked!! Thanks a bunch man!!!! I would kiss you right now LOL

PS: what worked for me was \\192.168.0.xxx\media without the last 3 numbers after media but thank you so much
    Just to clarify for anyone else who reads this thread, I think a COMMA or other punctuation would have shown he did not mean:

\\192.168.0.xxx\media xxx

but just the:

\\192.168.0.xxx\media

Where xxx is intended to match the last 3 digits of your specific address.

Just also be aware that if something else joins the network that the address could change. That's why some folks make the address STATIC which means the pb's address remains the same even if it were turned off and someone else had a laptop which joined the party and grabbed the address noted above. Then the pb would grab an incrementally higher address number.
    09-01-12 11:52 PM
    One thing that can be done to determine your PC's IP address is to install one of the servers for some of the remote desktop apps in app world. Specifically, LANFile Explorer or Splashtop- lauching their servers will tell you what your PC's IP address is (which, as noted, may change). You can install the servers without running the remote desktop apps, and they are available for free. The app descriptions in app world tell you where to get the server software. Your PB IP address can be found in settings/About/Network.
    Last edited by pacoman03; 09-02-12 at 12:16 AM.
    09-02-12 12:14 AM
    OK, after some more hacking and a port scan against the Playbook to see which protocols it was using I managed to establish a WiFi connection for file transfer. The problem was simply that my Win7 laptop WiFi networking was not supporting "Client for Microsoft Networks". Details of the change (in Win7) are:

* In Control Panel open Network and Sharing Center
    * In NSS click the left sidebar link "Change Adaptor settings" and double-click the Wireless connectiod to open the WiFi connection status. Click the Properties button.
    * In the Properties dialog make sure "Client for Microsoft Networks" has a checkmark. Leave everything else unchanged, click OK/Close etc to leave Control Panel.

Now try to connect the Playbook:
    Open the Windows pc Run dialog and enter 2 backslashes and the IP address of the Playbook in the Open prompt. For example...
    Open: \\192.168.0.21

To avoid having to find and remember the IP address every time it changes on your WiFi, connect using the Playbook's network name:
    * In PB home screen swipe down from the top border to open Settings. Select "Storage & Sharing" then tap the Network Identification Properties button. Note Tablet Network Name (you can change it to something easier if you wish). Also make sure the Workgroup name matches your PC's setting, and if you have set a file sharing password note the Username.
    * In the PC's Run dialog you can use the tablet's Network Name instead of the IP address;
    Open: \\YourPlaybookName

If you want to go direct to stored files on the playbook,
    Open: \\YourPlaybookName\media

The network name should remain the same even if the IP address changes when you hop from home WiFi to office WiFi.
    09-02-12 08:05 AM
    One thing that can be done to determine your PC's IP address is to install one of the servers for some of the remote desktop apps in app world.
    It is easy to determine a PC's IP address without installing software. Open a Command (DOS prompt) window (Run: CMD) and enter the command ipconfig
    09-02-12 08:11 AM
    Been going in by ip address since very shortly after release. Various updates seem to break then fix the network name bit as far as windows file sharing goes, but putting the ip in the run box always works fine
    09-02-12 08:18 AM
    It is easy to determine a PC's IP address without installing software. Open a Command (DOS prompt) window (Run: CMD) and enter the command ipconfig
    To each his own. I find it easier with my method, since I get an answer with one mouse click. Plus I've got both Spashtop and LANFile Explorer so the software is already on my desktop.
    09-02-12 08:33 AM
    Mapped drive to media folder, but PC is asking for password to open files. Don't have any passwords on PC. Any ideas.
    12-29-12 09:18 AM
    i used to be able to wirelessly transfer files from the playbook to my pc...but today, i cannot, even if i write the ip address of the playbook on the run dialog box....now it says 'google chrome cannot connect to 192.168.x.x

I have reset the router, restarted the playbook and the computer and nothing is happening...
    10-19-13 03:05 PM
    Did you check the pb's settings. I think there are two areas where you allow wifi transfer and set passwords and security. Have you added any new wifi devices - ip addresses can change unless you set a static ip address.
    10-20-13 08:49 AM
    yes, i have allowed wifi transfers and set the password and security. I have added wifi devices since then, but that should not matter because i check the ip address where the playbook is currently connected and that is what I type on the browser or the run dialog box, but without success. Another thing also is that when the playbook is connected to wifi, i should be able to see it over the network on my pc, but i don't.
    10-21-13 09:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD