Bought a PB mainly for my kids to watch movies or other videos while in the car, but they're only 1 and 3 years old so they can't read. Is there any to change the image shown for the video. For example if I put Toy Story on the PB I would like to change it to show a picture so my kids know what the video is Toy Story. If I can't select the image can you change the point/time in the movie the display image is chosen from?

Thank you
    12-09-11 10:30 AM
    I don't think we have any control of what shows. I never investigated to see if they chose the same point in time from each video or if it is totally random. It is a stupid non-feature and your example certainly points that out.
    12-09-11 11:10 AM
    I don't think its a "stupid non-feature" but I don't *believe* there is any way to control it on the playbook itself. If it can be controlled at all, then its something you'd change in the settings in whatever ripping program you are using. Purchased videos usually have a graphic that shows as the icon and not a random scene.

I don't understand how calling someone stupid, F2 is any way helpful to anyone here.
    12-09-11 11:35 AM
    I don't think its a "stupid non-feature" but I don't *believe* there is any way to control it on the playbook itself. If it can be controlled at all, then its something you'd change in the settings in whatever ripping program you are using. Purchased videos usually have a graphic that shows as the icon and not a random scene.

I don't understand how calling someone stupid, F2 is any way helpful to anyone here.
    If you re-read my post, I was calling that "feature" stupid and NOT a person. It shows a random shot from some point in the video, at least, on NON-commercial videos.
    12-09-11 02:58 PM
    @ndltx5, @liquifier:
    I'm the dev for a video app called AutoPlay Media Player. I don't know if this solution would be useful, but when I was reading this thread, I thought that it would be really easy for AutoPlay to take a file with the same name as the video but with a .jpg or .png extension and display that as the thumbnail in the video selector list. So the steps for assigning an icon/image would be to get an image that you like (via google search for images), rename it (ie. ToyStory.png) and then put it on the PlayBook.
    12-24-12 07:45 PM
    @ndltx5, @liquifier:
    I'm the dev for a video app called AutoPlay Media Player. I don't know if this solution would be useful, but when I was reading this thread, I thought that it would be really easy for AutoPlay to take a file with the same name as the video but with a .jpg or .png extension and display that as the thumbnail in the video selector list. So the steps for assigning an icon/image would be to get an image that you like (via google search for images), rename it (ie. ToyStory.png) and then put it on the PlayBook.
    Good evening Bumblebee:

Are you saying that you have implemented that jpg/png image in Autoplay? Or are you thinking about doing it?

edited to add: Oh, the board is doing something odd. It is 6:12pm but yet I see Liquifier's 6:23pm post already - time warp!
    12-24-12 08:10 PM
    I have the same question. It would be nice to be able to assign an image for movies and tv shows (rather then a random still frame from the movie). I bought both of my kids a playbook for videos and this is an issue for me. I've purchased movies from the video store and these don't even display a still frame...only a film strip icon which is even worse.

Have anyone figured this out?
    12-24-12 08:23 PM
    As far as I can tell, the PB selects its screenshot from a random place in the video file based on length. I changed the length of a move from the end and got a different screenshot. Unfortunately, I don't know what algorithm is being used.
    12-24-12 09:24 PM
    Good evening Bumblebee:

Are you saying that you have implemented that jpg/png image in Autoplay? Or are you thinking about doing it?

edited to add: Oh, the board is doing something odd. It is 6:12pm but yet I see Liquifier's 6:23pm post already - time warp!
    @F2, Thanks for the opportunity to clarify: I'm thinking about it. And if this would be useful, could be added to the next update.
    12-25-12 06:23 AM
    As far as I can tell, the PB selects its screenshot from a random place in the video file based on length. I changed the length of a move from the end and got a different screenshot. Unfortunately, I don't know what algorithm is being used.
    Any video I've shot seems to create the icon from right around 20% into the recording. A three minute video would have a screenshot from around 36 seconds in, one minute would be around 12 seconds.
    12-25-12 08:53 AM
    @F2, Thanks for the opportunity to clarify: I'm thinking about it. And if this would be useful, could be added to the next update.
    First, sorry about getting your "name" wrong. I'm sure that would be a feature that folks would like and another feature to differentiate your app.
    12-25-12 09:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD