One of the thing I like about the playbook is the ease of magnetic charging. Is this a patented mechanism by BB? Can this mechanism be adopted by cell phones? Is it too much space require to work into a phone? Or the wireless charging is coming soon it's not worth the consideration?
    06-23-13 07:57 AM
    One of the thing I like about the playbook is the ease of magnetic charging. Is this a patented mechanism by BB? Can this mechanism be adopted by cell phones? Is it too much space require to work into a phone? Or the wireless charging is coming soon it's not worth the consideration?
    I don't know if it is patented but I do recall that my sisters Apple something or other had a similar magnetic plug and that was before the pb's birth.

I remember inquiring if there could be an adapter for the magnetic plug so that it could convert to a usb to charge phones - so a small cable could attach and charge a phone - one less charger wart on some trips. Never did get an answer.
    bambinoitaliano likes this.
    06-23-13 09:28 AM
    The pogo pin charging circuit on the PB is designed for a 12 volt input. Reference post by Delmeister for interesting discussion. Since I am using Nexus 7 don't have reference at hand. Many cell phones do allow pogo pin charging. Not sure about voltage used. Reference indicates one view on pogo pin vs USB charging.

http://www.pccp.com.tw/index.php?opt...ticle&id=162%3...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    06-23-13 01:04 PM
    Only other device that I have that has anything near that is my Xoom. It's used when it docks like the PB. But they never sold a wall adapter making me think it is not magnetic. It has this crazy pin charger...try finding that little hole in the dark:
    http://www.cellphoneshop.net/enlarge..._2267_22422123

Also, Xoom does not charge via microUSB. Funny the way they design things.
    06-24-13 04:34 PM
    Nexus 7 and ten have pins. Four on the 7 and I believed also on the ten. That's why the magnetic cover works on the 7. Asus has a charging dock but it is not too popular because it doesn't charge very fast. It is available at Amazon for $29.54 currently. It also provides sound out to a speaker while leaving the micro USB port free.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Attached Thumbnails Can the three prongs magnetic charging  mechanism in Playbook incorporate into BB phones?-1372126873174.jpg  
    06-24-13 09:21 PM