Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pakerney
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can someone recommend a speaker (preferably bluetooth) for use with the Playbook

I'm looking for a quality speaker at a "reasonable" price - currently i play my Playbook music via the Blackberry Gateway through my amplifier/speakers which is part of my television set up but i'm looking for a seperate speaker for just playing tunes wirelessly. I need the sound to be capable of filling a room. As I have the BB gateway the speaker doesnt necessarily have to have bluetooth capability but would be handy. I've tried my friends B&W Zeppelin and that sounds great but i dont want to pay that price ! Having spent about about £600 recently on an amp/speakers setup for the tv, i'm only looking to spend about £150 on this speaker. Any decent soundbars for that price ? - Have listened to a couple in store but only the very expensive ones (£400plus) seemed to sound any good, all the £200 ones I listened to sounded tinny. Any suggestions please

Thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    343 Global Posts

Unless you are looking for a single piece system, you can actually go for pretty much any stereo system and hook up a Bluetooth Gateway.

If going 2.1 isn't a problem you could check out these THX certified speakers from Logitech

Also you could check out the manual for your amplifier, if its one of those Home A/V Receivers from Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha etc, you might find a feature, that would let you attach a couple speakers to get a different source played on them, in that case you would just have to get some bookshelf speakers.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts

Check out the Jambox by Jawbone. It's bluetooth, pairs effortlessly with the PB and can really fill a room. Plus, it's incredibly portable - about the same size as a medium-sized power brick, but much lighter. Also doubles as a bluetooth speakerphone.

Definitely worth a look - you can get them from eBay for under $150, so...

RCK
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

thanks guys, that jambox looks ideal size wise for what i want, and £130 in Argos, good reviews on the net too

hmmm read a few more reviews, maybe not so good for what i want, will keep looking
    cheers anyway :-)
    Last edited by felix001; 02-07-2013 at 10:17 AM.
    CrackBerry User

Quote Originally Posted by felix001 View Post
    I'm looking for a quality speaker at a "reasonable" price - currently i play my Playbook music via the Blackberry Gateway through my amplifier/speakers which is part of my television set up but i'm looking for a seperate speaker for just playing tunes wirelessly. I need the sound to be capable of filling a room. As I have the BB gateway the speaker doesnt necessarily have to have bluetooth capability but would be handy. I've tried my friends B&W Zeppelin and that sounds great but i dont want to pay that price ! Having spent about about £600 recently on an amp/speakers setup for the tv, i'm only looking to spend about £150 on this speaker. Any decent soundbars for that price ? - Have listened to a couple in store but only the very expensive ones (£400plus) seemed to sound any good, all the £200 ones I listened to sounded tinny. Any suggestions please

Thanks
    I have to recommend the jambox by jawbone. You won't regret it.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have both big and small jambox for my playbook and z10 to link to and they both work fantastic and they are tough
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

maybe i'll check one out, see if i can demo one - ive noticed in Currys that there are different model numbers - the JBE05AUK, JBE03AUK, and JBE056AUK but they seem to be the same spec - only difference seems to be they are different colours - would those codes be related to the different colours or are the models different spec - it doesnt seem to say.
    Also regards to sound, my music choice is heavy rock and some dance music so good bass is a must - difficult to tell until i listen to one but the size of these makes me wonder if they can project that bass into a big room without distortion?
    Also re the playbook, and the fact that the volume control is disabled when connected via bluetooth, there's no way to turn the volume up or down with these is there unless youre sitting right next to the speaker ? I have a blackberry phone that i can use to play my tunes (which the volume control does work with via bluetooth) so its not a deal breaker
    CrackBerry Newbie

Aside from echoing the Music Gateway solution, I am very pleased with the Bose Soundlink. It's not as bulky as the Large Jambox, so it can be packed and carried more easily. Sometime last year, Rolling Stone had a brief article comparing the Soundlink and the Jambox. It was hard to choose between the two, so it all came down to need and preference. The Jambox lasted longer on a full charge, 12 hours versus 8. It also has speakerphone capabilities while the Soundlink does not. However, while the Jambox sounded a bit brighter, it distorted at loud volumes. The Soundlink had no distortion at maximum levels. I have not yet heard the new Soundlink II, but it reportedly has improved sound, especially with extended bass response. Still, having auditioned both, I went with the Soundlink over the Jambox. Some of my friends preferred and purchased the Jambox but others, having heard my Soundlink, bought it for themselves. All I can say is listen to both and then decide if either one will be your best portable solution.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I know a friend who has a wireless Sonos Play 3 speaker for his iPad. Similar to the Bose Soundlink in quality and price. Sounds fantastic. I haven't gone wireless on my PlayBook. I plug it into my Bose Companion 2 speakers and they sound awesome. Not portable though.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Bose soundlink is amazing.
    CrackBerry User

If you want an ultraportable speaker I use an e-Storm LabyrinthX, it's bluetooth, wired, internal battery and can play an upto 8GB microsd too. Great value at under £40!
    ++++Divide by Cucumber Error!++++
    Please Re-install Universe and Re-Boot
    CrackBerry Abuser

Another vote for Bose SoundLink (bluetooth). It's more than you want to pay but excellent sound for its size.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin:s & Needle:s

I picked up this inexpensive option at a discount store for $20. Sounds fantastic, it includes a rechargable battery and also works for taking phone calls.

Emerson Bluetooth Speaker

Can someone recommend a speaker (preferably bluetooth) for use with the Playbook-image.jpg
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    CrackBerry User

I won a pair of Qmadix stereo bluetooth speakers last year on a CrackBerry contest and they are amazing! My only complaint is, the speakers or the playbook decide to "unpair " occasionally and must be repair -ed. I like the ability to stage the speakers for maximum effect while we party around the fire. One of my friends, in a moment of drunken genius, suggested putting the speakers in 5 gallon buckets; voila! I'm redneck "bose"ing now!
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    71 Global Posts

That's a nice speaker system , do you have any volume issues, my bluetooth works on mine except no volume control from the playbook,it's full blast or nothing, got mine for half price 20 bux its a coby csmp135. Regards
    Quote Originally Posted by DC506 View Post
    I picked up this inexpensive option at a discount store for $20. Sounds fantastic, it includes a rechargable battery and also works for taking phone calls.

Emerson Bluetooth Speaker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	134689
    CrackBerry User

Creative d100

Love it. Works like a charm
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts
    PIN
    Pin:s & Needle:s

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1131 View Post
    That's a nice speaker system , do you have any volume issues, my bluetooth works on mine except no volume control from the playbook,it's full blast or nothing, got mine for half price 20 bux its a coby csmp135. Regards
    The volume controls work great on the speaker. But while paired to my Emerson speaker or my Logitech Bluetooth adapter for my stereo, my Playbook cannot control the volume....kind of a pain sometimes. I have to use the other device's own controls.
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Default Zooka speaker

I am a huge blackberry fan, and I lovely Playbook. I recommend you the Zooka Speaker Carbon audio. They have a great sound, very stylish, microphone, audio out and of course Bluetooth. the sound is very good. Maybe I shouldn't mention it but you can buy them here Accessories for your Smartphone and Tablet PC | okkio.co.uk.everything for your tablet pc and your smartphone.
    Free delivery in the UK. They cost 69 pounds.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Try the Sound Matters FOXL V2. Amazing little speaker, a little pricey but worth it. In my opinion, much better than the jambox. There are some video reviews on youtube.