Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crackberryjill
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Can I use the BlackBerry ID from my BlackBerry smartphone for my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet

Hello, everyone...

Can I use the BlackBerry ID from my BlackBerry smartphone for my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet???
    Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    12,759 Global Posts

You sure can.
    Answers are easy. It's asking the right questions which is hard. - The Doctor

[ Mobile Nations Sites: Android, iOS, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, Connectedly]
    CrackBerry Genius

Yep, I use the same bbid with both.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    292B57BA

YES !!! You can

(I'm feeling like Obama now )
    My Site/blog My portfolio
    Curve 8320 -> Curve 8520 -> Torch 2 9810
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2AE0379B

You can but DONT, RIM recommends using different ids for playbook and phone. if you purchase a lot of apps on both, you will have some issues in the future. I started having problems recently on my Playbook and after 2 hours with RIM customer service, it turns out every time you access App world on either device (playbook or BB), it counts as a device switch and you only get 15 of these per year.
    BB Q10 / BB Z10 / BB P'9981 / BB Playbook
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by BBMak View Post
    You can but DONT, RIM recommends using different ids for playbook and phone. if you purchase a lot of apps on both, you will have some issues in the future. I started having problems recently on my Playbook and after 2 hours with RIM customer service, it turns out every time you access App world on either device (playbook or BB), it counts as a device switch and you only get 15 of these per year.
    I have 2 playbooks with the same ID, and everytime I update apps I am always device switching, and I have done a heck of a lot more than 15 of them. I also have a phone and have easitly gone to appworld more than 15 times on the phone alone, not to mention the 2 playbooks. So this makes no sense to me.

Also, for bridging, do the phone and the playbook have to be the same ID?
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    28AA7FFB

Default Re: Can I use the BlackBerry ID from my BlackBerry smartphone for my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet

@crackberryjill, no the bbid doesn't have to be the same
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,862 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

I use the same for my phone and one of my PlayBook's. Apps that run both on the phone and PlayBook only have to be purchased once and they show up on both devices. If RIM is seriously going full steam ahead with BlackBerry10 then I'd think it would be recommended to have the same bbid on all your devices so you can leave work on one device and pick up were you left off on the next device.
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2AE0379B

Quote Originally Posted by crackberryjill View Post
    I have 2 playbooks with the same ID, and everytime I update apps I am always device switching, and I have done a heck of a lot more than 15 of them. I also have a phone and have easitly gone to appworld more than 15 times on the phone alone, not to mention the 2 playbooks. So this makes no sense to me.

Also, for bridging, do the phone and the playbook have to be the same ID?
    careful that might stop working for you any day now. Also, it only "switches" when you're paying for apps, or reregistering id from a wiped device, so u might not have hit the 15 changes limit. Basically, if you access app world on your phone and pay for apps, the next time you pay for an app on you playbook, it counts as one change (out of 15), you can access app world on PB several times, but when you purchase an app on your phone afterwards, thats another change (2/15), and so forth.

This is what happened to me (had same id on PB and BB and now i can no longer pay for apps on my playbook, spent 2 hours with rim support and it turns out that i hit the 15 changes. RIM recommended i change the BBID on the playbook and never use the same for 2 devices.

As for bridging, i dont think it has n e thing to do with bbid
    Last edited by BBMak; 11-26-2012 at 02:34 PM.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by BBMak View Post
    careful that might stop working for you any day now. Also, it only "switches" when you're paying for apps, or reregistering id from a wiped device, so u might not have hit the 15 changes limit. Basically, if you access app world on your phone and pay for apps, the next time you pay for an app on you playbook, it counts as one change (out of 15), you can access app world on PB several times, but when you purchase an app on your phone afterwards, thats another change (2/15), and so forth.

This is what happened to me (had same id on PB and BB and now i can no longer pay for apps on my playbook, spent 2 hours with rim support and it turns out that i hit the 15 changes. RIM recommended i change the BBID on the playbook and never use the same for 2 devices.

As for bridging, i dont think it has n e thing to do with bbid

I don't buy that many apps. So you can only buy a total of 15 apps between your devices then you are stuck on one device until a year from your first switch? I doubt I would ever hit that many as I don't buy any for my phone. Just use it for phoning, texting and as a flashlight. And I actually do the texting on the playbook through bridge. And if the phone and the playbook aren't on one ID, then bridge isn't much use except for the remote control feature.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,187 Global Posts

This is horrible. . .hopefully they change it. . .once you change the BBID will your list of downloaded apps go away? I really hope they change this. . .I was under the impression that they were actively working on streamlining the whole process and wouldn't that include one BBID for all devices??? I had two different BBID's and I did a wipe on my PB and put the same BBID I use on my 9900. . .haven't had any issues yet. . .BBID is already a hassle. . .now it's even worst than I though. . .
    Last edited by AfroZepher; 11-26-2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: I'z not the best at the spellinz. . .
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Their KB article says 15 (Unique) device swaps. I don't think that is the same as swapping between the same few devices. I have a BB and 2 PBs using the same BBID, (1 PB since launch) and have not seen any problems. When loading an app on my wife's PB, it prompts to change the device associated with BBID and then does the same when going back to my PB, but it's never caused any other issues.

btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB28543

Expectations when using the same BlackBerry ID on multiple devices

Environment

• BlackBerry® ID
    • BlackBerry® PlayBook™

Overview

BlackBerry® ID is designed to allow a convenient and secure method to authenticate your identity across various BlackBerry® related products and services. This allows for seamless transferring and sharing of information across the products or services that the account has been authorized for. (Example: A user can have the same BlackBerry ID authenticated to a BlackBerry smartphone and a BlackBerry® PlayBook™ to share billing information for purchases with BlackBerry App World.)
    Due to this sharing of information, it is not recommended to share a BlackBerry ID between multiple users.

Additional Information

Expected behaviors when a BlackBerry ID is associated to multiple devices of the same product lines (Example: Same BlackBerry ID used on 2 PlayBooks or 2 smartphones):
    BlackBerry App World

• When going into My World to download or purchase an application, change payment information, or manage the account details, a prompt to change the PIN associated to the account will be presented each time another device with the same BlackBerry ID attempts to connect to the BlackBerry App World account
    • Note: There is a maximum of 15 (unique) device swaps per product line allowed in one year. Contact your service provider if you have reached the maximum number of device swaps in error.

BlackBerry News

• Subscriptions will be synchronized across all authorized devices

BlackBerry Internet Service (smartphones only)

• The BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) account is linked to the carrier billing identifier (SIM, ICCID, IMSI and MSISDN are common billing identifiers). Therefore if a different billing identifier (SIM) and different smartphone is used a new BIS account will be created and each smartphone will manage their own email addresses associated to each smartphone. This means that if you are using 2 smartphones and 2 billing Identifiers (SIMs) you will have 2 separate BIS accounts and will have to integrate your email addresses separately.
    • For more information on moving email accounts with the BlackBerry Internet Service, see the BlackBerry smartphone section of the BlackBerry Internet Service User Guide located here.

BlackBerry Protect (smartphones only)

• Each smartphone using the same BlackBerry ID will maintain it's own backups/information in the BlackBerry Protect management site
    • All smartphones associated to the same BlackBerry ID can be managed in the BlackBerry Protect management site by anyone who has the BlackBerry ID login information

Video Chat (PlayBook only)

• Video Chat requests can only be received by one PlayBook at at time. If multiple PlayBooks are using the same BlackBerry ID, only one of them will receive an incoming Video Chat request
    • Connectivity will be sporadic between any active PlayBooks using the same BlackBerry ID
    • For more information, see KB26851.
    "Distrust and caution are the parents of security." -Benjamin Franklin
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2AE0379B

Quote Originally Posted by crackberryjill View Post
    I don't buy that many apps. So you can only buy a total of 15 apps between your devices then you are stuck on one device until a year from your first switch? I doubt I would ever hit that many as I don't buy any for my phone. Just use it for phoning, texting and as a flashlight. And I actually do the texting on the playbook through bridge. And if the phone and the playbook aren't on one ID, then bridge isn't much use except for the remote control feature.
    You can buy more than 15 apps as long as you buy them on one device, but once you purchase an app on a different device, it counts as 1 switch, so you can buy many playbook apps then go to your phone and buy many bb apps, then back to your playbook... 15 times
    CrackBerry User

Default Can I use the BlackBerry ID from my BlackBerry smartphone for my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet

You can do it for sure!

I am once again giving Rim credit which they may not deserve - but, I would hope/expect/presume that Rim will get THE BBID issues fixed in the next few months. I don't know whether folks do run into "too many device switches" errors right now. My main pb and my 9930 do share the same bbid. It seemed appropriate. We shall see.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,310 Global Posts

My pb and bb share the same BBID. I've never encountered a "device switch" or a problem. What I'm getting from the posted RIM documentation is that you run into that issue if you have 2 Playbooks or 2 smartphones that are sharing the same BBID. It says 2 devices of the same product line - 2 of one type of item. That said, RIM needs to change that cuz some people do obviously own more than one of a certain device and should be able to access their purchased apps and games.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2AE0379B

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis1156 View Post
    My pb and bb share the same BBID. I've never encountered a "device switch" or a problem. What I'm getting from the posted RIM documentation is that you run into that issue if you have 2 Playbooks or 2 smartphones that are sharing the same BBID. It says 2 devices of the same product line - 2 of one type of item. That said, RIM needs to change that cuz some people do obviously own more than one of a certain device and should be able to access their purchased apps and games.
    agreed - there seem to be an unintended issue when using the same BBID on phone and playbok.