Some postings are worried about their data plans, if enough gb?'
    Z10 is not using BIS10
    by using the BB to PB bridge you may use more data, how much will that effect us

Sample posting
    Now that we know the z10 won't be using BIS, that means it'll use data just like other smartphones with no compression.
    People who are already on a BB plan might get a big shock to find out at the end of the month if they have data overages.
    My wife has a 50MB plan and using a 9790, it's plenty of data for her. Some people might be still on a 500MB plan.
    You think people will start complaining about the data they use after the first month?

02-02-13 07:33 PM
    Well i have a 5gb shared plan with my mobile phone so no worries and i use wifi mostly.
    If u are worried get a bigger data plan or shared data plan with at least 2gb or more and use wifi.

Before my shared plan i had a 6gb plan non shared i only dropped a gigabyte to share playbook when i am out and about i have internet access 5gb worth shared if i use my phone to browse too.

I never used much more then 1gb with my iphone 4 or even my samsung galaxy i monitor it very closely and like i mentioned i use wifi mostly so no worries for me.
    02-02-13 07:43 PM
    I think the most important thing everyone should do is monitor there usage and purchase accordingly. Find out what options are available at time of purchase and go from there. Unfortunately I am located in the USA where the new phones are not available and so far my carrier (Sprint) hasn't even mentioned if they will carry them. Currently my data is unlimited and has been great with no problems, for a short time I was using my phone as a Hotspot for my laptop and had to purchase separate data in 2gb increments and didn't cost much more. I barely was using 1gb and didn't need it anymore so took it off. I understand the concerns users are having and I did read an article sometime ago about the carriers not wanting to cooperate with using the blackberry bridge application. Best advice to everyone is to read and understand the details of your plan carefully and don't wait until the bill comes and wonder what happened.
    02-02-13 08:37 PM
    I had the same problem. I only had a 500mb data plan and I am never off the internet on it. My air time provider told me that I had only been using at max 65mb because of the way bis works in compressing data. However when I connect my pb to my phone things change dramatically. I used to be able to do most things on the net just through the bluetooth connection and when this happened I was still utilising the phones bis connection. Result happiness. As the OS upgrades on the pb came along I found that more and more I had to start using the tethering function which does not go through bis and guess what? I ran out of data. I increased my data plan to 1Gb and I have never run out yet. I am connected for approx 3 to 4hrs a day so I don't know about the Z10 but a 1Gb data plan would be a good start for heavy Internet users like myself. If it's just the occasional visit to the Web then you may get away with 500Mb. Having looked at providers price plans however, there doesn't seem to be a massive cost increase for data.
    02-03-13 07:03 AM
    I have to agree. there is a big risk here. reducing bridge to glorified tethering would be a major mistake. e.g. if playbook and Z10 have to both be setup for all email separately then when bridged to see it on both devices both would have to download it so double the data use and now its uncompressed too! so probably 4-8 times or more data use per email, depending on content.

I hope this risk doesnt turn into reality and Blackberry are going to wow us all with a really cool new BB10 featureset that makes the most of QNX and its ability to use networking to make resources on one system share with resources on another. i.e. message store shared across both devices so you only need one copy available and apps on both machines can access all content.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    02-03-13 08:40 AM
    I have to agree. there is a big risk here. reducing bridge to glorified tethering would be a major mistake. e.g. if playbook and Z10 have to both be setup for all email separately then when bridged to see it on both devices both would have to download it so double the data use and now its uncompressed too! so probably 4-8 times or more data use per email, depending on content.

I hope this risk doesnt turn into reality and Blackberry are going to wow us all with a really cool new BB10 featureset that makes the most of QNX and its ability to use networking to make resources on one system share with resources on another. i.e. message store shared across both devices so you only need one copy available and apps on both machines can access all content.
    I've just opened a brand new bottle of brandy, so I will definitely not be holding my breath. Bear in mind that it's starting to look like the pb and it's users, (us members here) seem to be becoming a pain in the ar** to RIM. Maybe because we say it as it is, not what they want us to think it should be to please them. I am suddenly filled with foreboding on the outcome.
    02-03-13 09:12 AM
    I guess the real issue should be why the new BBs no longer used compressed data? I thought that was part of the security of BlackBerry? Can someone clear that up for me?
    02-03-13 10:24 AM
    I've just opened a brand new bottle of brandy, so I will definitely not be holding my breath. Bear in mind that it's starting to look like the pb and it's users, (us members here) seem to be becoming a pain in the ar** to RIM. Maybe because we say it as it is, not what they want us to think it should be to please them. I am suddenly filled with foreboding on the outcome.
    LOL! You crack me up! BUT, truer words have NEVER been spoken.....

Hoot
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-03-13 10:24 AM
    I guess the real issue should be why the new BBs no longer used compressed data? I thought that was part of the security of BlackBerry? Can someone clear that up for me?
    Great question! I'd like to know the answer to that too.

Hoot
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-03-13 10:25 AM
    I thought it was a function of the phone?

When I upgraded my Curve from OS5 to OS6 I was having severe battery drain issues. I deleted all of my third party apps and still couldn't make it to 2pm without having to plug in. After trying various remedies I finally turned off my data compression and boom! Battery life went right back to 2 days. Then of course I was worried about my data usage. I have a 2GB shared plan - have never even come close to using 1GB of it.
    02-03-13 10:33 AM
    Hmm well I've only ever had a 512Mb data allowance. Then again I've only ever used my data allowance for email on the go and the odd bit of on the go browsing if I needed to find a certain hotel or restaurant. I average around 100Mb of data a month. This was on a Pre2 and now a Nexus 4. When I'm at home the wireless handles the data.

Never quite understood those that feel they need to stream movies etc. on a data plan.
    02-03-13 10:40 AM
    BIS was not encrypted for end to end messaging. Only BES was, and is. BIS was for data compression and for push email. It did the polling of the email servers for you. Now that there are others out there, Active Sync, it isn't needed. BB's are no longer the only devices to get emails quickly so the service, aside from compression, became redundant. Also, now this is pure speculation, I would bet that the BIS servers are not able to handle the speed of LTE which would have slowed down everything, resulting in people complaining that their BB was not as fast as others.
    02-03-13 11:09 AM
    The lack of BIS is not the reason that data usage will be going up, the ability of the devices is.

BIS could only compress some of the data that people use, text, documents, parts of web pages, things like that. JPEG images and most forms of video content are already compressed and are unable to be made smaller for transmission without data/quality loss. The older devices are not media consumption devices, they are communication devices. With the new abilities of BB10, the media capabilities and screen real estate make them much more of a media device now, so people are going to use it that way.

For support of this, what is the most common thing you see iPhone and Android users doing with their phones? YouTube(uncompressable video), Instagram (uncompressable JPEG), Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime (uncompressable video). These are all the things that people want to do with their BB devices, but the legacy OS just wasn't capable. The compression of these media products is done on the server side before it even reaches the Internet and is optimized as well as it can be for mobile streaming.

Now that we have an OS that can do all this stuff, stuff the people want, we are going to consume more data than before. It's just an issue that people aren't used to being able to plow through their data like we'll be able to now. Data usage is evolving, either get with it, adjust, quit whining and enjoy your new entertainment, or stick with your 9900 and don't use any of the new media consumption features that are available.
    RegN, Serkle K and Jaralle like this.
    02-03-13 11:16 AM
    BIS was not encrypted for end to end messaging. Only BES was, and is. BIS was for data compression and for push email. It did the polling of the email servers for you. Now that there are others out there, Active Sync, it isn't needed. BB's are no longer the only devices to get emails quickly so the service, aside from compression, became redundant. Also, now this is pure speculation, I would bet that the BIS servers are not able to handle the speed of LTE which would have slowed down everything, resulting in people complaining that their BB was not as fast as others.
    And the end result for us poor non para metric end is?
    02-03-13 11:19 AM
    I thought it was a function of the phone?

When I upgraded my Curve from OS5 to OS6 I was having severe battery drain issues. I deleted all of my third party apps and still couldn't make it to 2pm without having to plug in. After trying various remedies I finally turned off my data compression and boom! Battery life went right back to 2 days. Then of course I was worried about my data usage. I have a 2GB shared plan - have never even come close to using 1GB of it.

what you actually disabled was the compression of files on your device
    02-03-13 04:47 PM
    my concern is the following
    I have T mobile USA and I travel a lot outside the US
    My US data plan of 2GB is more than plenty
    When I leave the US I call t-Mobile and asked them to turn on my data roaming for the time I am outside the US
    Cost is $20 per month, so $5 per week and I get this way all my email compressed in BIS
    Data in BIS is running in GSM 2 or Edge 2,5 which is fine for email and some attachment
    Larger files I download when I am in WIFI reach in a hotel lobby or so

Z10 with no compression, all email will run through regular internet, that means heavy data, if there are attachment, and for this you need a in a foreign country international data roaming pan, which is **** expensive, or you turn off your cell reception and work under WIFI only
    some of my friends come back from a 2 week overseas trip with their I-phones and had $500 phone bills

so before you move up to Q or Z10 ask your carrier to keep your data on BIS, this can be done
    And asked BB if you can bridge your BB10 phone with your PB running either OS2.2 or OS10
    I understand if you are not upgrading your Z10 to a real none BB data plan some of the functions of the OS10 will not work

for me I will stay within OS7.1 and my PB OS2.2, which work perfect in the moment, and wait until these problems are resolved
    lets just hope the bridge between BB Z10 and PB OS10 work in the some way, just bluetooth, no teetering

and by than the PB will be 2 years old, time to move on to an Ipad 128 or a windows 128gb tablet
    02-03-13 10:39 PM