I just looked at the iPad and was told by their rep that I had to have a internet connection and a desktop to get updates and sync with whatever. I want to get rid of my desktop and internet connection and get a Playbook and be completely mobile with 3G service and wifi. Do I have to have a desktop and internet connection to use the Playbook like the iPad to get updates or is everything OTA? I assume that I will be able to print to a wireless printer with the Playbook. I would get a 3G Mobile Hotspot.
    01-02-11 04:27 PM
    I just looked at the iPad and was told by their rep that I had to have a internet connection and a desktop to get updates and sync with whatever. I want to get rid of my desktop and internet connection and get a Playbook and be completely mobile with 3G service and wifi. Do I have to have a desktop and internet connection to use the Playbook like the iPad to get updates or is everything OTA? I assume that I will be able to print to a wireless printer with the Playbook. I would get a 3G Mobile Hotspot.
    No unless you have a Blackberry to tether to. First release will not have 3G/4G phone connectivity except through tether.
    01-02-11 06:11 PM
    Bear in mind companies charge for tethering. On O2-UK it is �7.50/mth with a qualifying BlackBerry plan.
    01-02-11 06:14 PM
    No unless you have a Blackberry to tether to. First release will not have 3G/4G phone connectivity except through tether.
    He said he's buying a 3G Mobile Hotspot.

As to the printing question, that would only be possible with a wireless printer connected to your hotspot router (even then it might not work), OR with a typical wired printer and a print server on a wireless local area network (WiFi).
    Last edited by bacon.jay; 01-02-11 at 06:43 PM.
    01-02-11 06:39 PM
    keep in mind that blackberry desktop software is probably not going to run on the PB. and i would NEVER trust OTA upgrades as to many things can go wrong and you cant do any wiping. Generally leads to more problems than anything else
    01-02-11 06:51 PM
    Bear in mind companies charge for tethering. On O2-UK it is �7.50/mth with a qualifying BlackBerry plan.
    Depends on your country/province/state/company. Currently, in Ontario, Telus and Rogers allow tethering for free. Whether or not that will change we don't know.
    01-02-11 08:10 PM
    I think the PB tethering will be "free" as long as you have unlimited data
    01-02-11 08:17 PM
    Tethering the Playbook would only use your data allowance on your BlackBerry smartphone plan. If your unlimited, no worries.
    01-02-11 08:20 PM
    Tethering the Playbook would only use your data allowance on your BlackBerry smartphone plan. If your unlimited, no worries.
    Thats why I plan on updating to "unlimited" in the very near future for the PB.
    01-02-11 10:40 PM
    Depends on your country/province/state/company. Currently, in Ontario, Telus and Rogers allow tethering for free. Whether or not that will change we don't know.
    You get 1GB internet on The One Plan with 3-UK. Which includes tethering. But it starts at �25/mth. I pay �15/mth with O2-UK for BlackBerry Unlimited, unlimited texts, and 300 minutes.
    01-03-11 08:26 AM
    You get 1GB internet on The One Plan with 3-UK. Which includes tethering. But it starts at �25/mth. I pay �15/mth with O2-UK for BlackBerry Unlimited, unlimited texts, and 300 minutes.
    The Playbook will "tether" differently than current Tablets/netbooks,
    I wouldn't count on having to pay Extra to connect your playbook to your Blackberry at least not at first, that was something RIM was trying to accomplish with the Playbook was no requirement to change your plan to use it.
    01-03-11 08:37 AM
    The Playbook will "tether" differently than current Tablets/netbooks,
    I wouldn't count on having to pay Extra to connect your playbook to your Blackberry at least not at first, that was something RIM was trying to accomplish with the Playbook was no requirement to change your plan to use it.
    Yeah but I don't see carriers letting this go on for long, if at all. AT&T/Apple stopped it with the iPhone, Sprint killed it on my Tour. They could always go in and change the tiered data rates just for Blackberry's too, increase the Blackberry plans cost. Carriers will figure out a way to get money from you since your doing more than what device they sold you can do.
    01-03-11 08:57 AM
    Yeah but I don't see carriers letting this go on for long, if at all. AT&T/Apple stopped it with the iPhone, Sprint killed it on my Tour. They could always go in and change the tiered data rates just for Blackberry's too, increase the Blackberry plans cost. Carriers will figure out a way to get money from you since your doing more than what device they sold you can do.
    Very True

It will really depend on how the Playbook handles data I am sure, in Canada, Rogers has launched a Tablet share program for Tablets with their own radio's so you pay to use the device on your existing plan.

and in The US, you will see more Carriers adopting the Canadian Model of charging for usage, the Unlimited dataplans are going to just disappear, I don't pay extra to tether on my 6GB plan, I pay extra if I go over, and tethering makes it faster to go over, so they encourage it.
    01-03-11 09:07 AM
    Very True

It will really depend on how the Playbook handles data I am sure, in Canada, Rogers has launched a Tablet share program for Tablets with their own radio's so you pay to use the device on your existing plan.

and in The US, you will see more Carriers adopting the Canadian Model of charging for usage, the Unlimited dataplans are going to just disappear, I don't pay extra to tether on my 6GB plan, I pay extra if I go over, and tethering makes it faster to go over, so they encourage it.
    Unlike Wind Mobile there unlimited data plan is at 6gb, after that they just throttle your connection and do not over charge you for it.
    01-03-11 12:38 PM
    Unlike Wind Mobile there unlimited data plan is at 6gb, after that they just throttle your connection and do not over charge you for it.
    If Wind Mobile gave more than 5% geographic coverage they might be someone to even consider as a carrier. but they don't.
    01-03-11 01:38 PM
    If Wind Mobile gave more than 5% geographic coverage they might be someone to even consider as a carrier. but they don't.

For where I travel, even with Rogers, or Bell/Telus I would still be roaming (USA/Europe and Australia). Its perfect where I am currently.
    01-03-11 02:57 PM
    For where I travel, even with Rogers, or Bell/Telus I would still be roaming (USA/Europe and Australia). Its perfect where I am currently.
    This will become a carrier argument,
    But Rogers is by far the cheapest International Roaming company ( one reason I moved to them for 2011)
    once you leave a Wind HOME zone, you are paying through the nose.
    01-03-11 03:09 PM
    This will become a carrier argument,
    But Rogers is by far the cheapest International Roaming company ( one reason I moved to them for 2011)
    once you leave a Wind HOME zone, you are paying through the nose.
    How is that possible while rogers charges you 0.35 a minute and you pay roaming charges just if your phone is on. With wind mobile you pay 0.25 a minute.

I use to be with rogers, they are just a scam, but people have there own preference and we have to respect that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 04:29 PM
    How is that possible while rogers charges you 0.35 a minute and you pay roaming charges just if your phone is on. With wind mobile you pay 0.25 a minute.

I use to be with rogers, they are just a scam, but people have there own preference and we have to respect that.

Though this should be taken to another thread, this is where we are,

With Rogers you can purchase packages for travel,
    I pay 10c per minute in the US, and data is $10/month and $1/MB
    Wind you pay 25c per minutes and $20/Mb of data.

They have just changed European plans so I am not sure of what I am going to do in March as of yet,
    01-03-11 05:21 PM
    Though this should be taken to another thread, this is where we are,

With Rogers you can purchase packages for travel,
    I pay 10c per minute in the US, and data is $10/month and $1/MB
    Wind you pay 25c per minutes and $20/Mb of data.

They have just changed European plans so I am not sure of what I am going to do in March as of yet,
    just curious but how many days are you traveling a year outside of Canada
    01-03-11 06:26 PM
    just curious but how many days are you traveling a year outside of Canada
    62 in 2010,

I'm probably slightly less in 2011 since I'm taking 8 weeks off in 2011, but 2 of them will be spent in England, where I'll be going with my current plan
    01-03-11 06:53 PM
    When I am away in Europe I usually get a sim card for the provider there. Hopefully they allow us to tether

01-03-11 11:13 PM
    When I am away in Europe I usually get a sim card for the provider there. Hopefully they allow us to tether

What provider?
    I am toying with getting a SIM Card, or paying for a International Plan with Rogers this spring.
    I really just need data while I am there.
    01-04-11 07:21 AM
    Why do you think RIM would release the PB without 3G or 4G connectivity on it? I want to get some sort of tablet and have been going back and forth from the iPad and RIM PB (waiting for it to be released so I can actually see it), but would really like to access email, as well as the web where there isn't a wifi connection.
    01-04-11 10:26 AM
    Why do you think RIM would release the PB without 3G or 4G connectivity on it? I want to get some sort of tablet and have been going back and forth from the iPad and RIM PB (waiting for it to be released so I can actually see it), but would really like to access email, as well as the web where there isn't a wifi connection.
    ask RIM lol
    01-04-11 10:55 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD