So, I recently purchased an app from app world, but find the icon to be fugly. Is it possible to replace it with my own custom icon, or am I stuck with the ugly one?
    Thanks.
    07-17-12 01:40 PM
    So, I recently purchased an app from app world, but find the icon to be fugly. Is it possible to replace it with my own custom icon, or am I stuck with the ugly one?
    Thanks.
    The fugly icon is a static image packaged in the bar file and can only be changed if you can replace the current image with that you consider to be unfugly. Of course, you can't do this unless you are the developer who was responsible for creating the fugly icon in the first place. I assume that you are not the developer so the only option open to you is to write a nice message and send it to the support email address. This method is standard procedure for getting a developer's attention whenever you feel that the app needs to be improved. The developer may not agree with your perspective but at least you have made the attempt. The alternative method of getting a developer's attention (writing a fugly review about the fugly icon) is not recommended because it does not allow a pleasant two-way dialog between user and creator.
    07-17-12 02:07 PM
    Okay, so I guess I'm stuck with the fugly icon, then.
    Thanks for the answer.
    07-17-12 02:09 PM
    The icon is delivered in the bar file with the application. Also, a configuration file for the application, which is required for the application to run, contains the name of the application icon. Since bar files are protected via encrypted keys, you can't replace the icon.

If the application is an Android app that you are sideloading via an apk file, you might be able to extract the icon from the apk file and replace it with another icon (with exactly the same name) and then install the app. I'm not sure if this is something that can be done, however.

So for apps developed specifically for the Playbook, I'm fairly certain that the answer is no. For Android apps packaged as Playbook apps and submitted to the app world, the answer is also probably no. For sideloaded apks, the answer is maybe.
    07-17-12 02:11 PM
    It's a native app.
    07-17-12 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD