Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Can anyone explain how to download a bar / zip file??

Wow, not easy, still working on sideloading android apps and got stuck.
    1) download and installed successfully theJava runtime and the DDPB and got the little android 'guy' icon up fine on playbook.
    Now I have to download any bar/zip files already converted - what for? And I cn't find a sticky that simplifies this. All I really want to do is get my Lexmark android app sideloaded, so I can print from my playbook. Please please help, many instructions posted on this are not possible to understand for a newbie and do not explain the necessity. Thx
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

[QUOTE=castoridae;7813771]Wow, not easy, still working on sideloading android apps and got stuck.
    1) download and installed successfully theJava runtime and the DDPB and got the little android 'guy' icon up fine on playbook.
    Now I have to download any bar/zip files already converted - what for? And I cn't find a sticky that simplifies this. All I really want to do is get my Lexmark android app sideloaded, so I can print from my playbook. Please please help, many instructions posted on this are not possible to understand for a newbie and do not explain the necessity. Thx

How to Install Android Apps on the Blackberry Playbook (Updated) - YouTube
    Red Sox Nation Member
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts
    Red Sox Nation Member
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

wow really not impressed here, but very frustrated. Watched the first youtube - 'how to install..' and it goes on about visiting the guys app store good ereader. So I go and try to download and can't, so I try to register, and it keeps asking me 'a n e-reader is used to read.....' and no mater what I put, it says 'no your answer is incorrect' and will not let me register. -- really?
    second youtube is just over 2 minutes, speaks and demonstrates too fast, can't understand the guys accent (sorry, but I can't).
    This site has been amazing up until now. I have seen step by step simple instructions for hard-booting and all sorts of things, but this piece is just not being explained in a way that is helpful to me. Major steps are left out - can someone - anyone please help, this is about day 3 or 4 with this and it really shouldn't be this difficult. I'm not having any problem with my new Lexmark wireless printer, so I would dearly love to print on it from my playbook. Thx so much
    CrackBerry Genius

You could help yourself if you posted in the correct forum. This particular forum is dedicated to a general discussion of the BlackBerry PlayBook. The forum that you want is a sub-forum of the forum for discussing PB apps and games. Here is the URL:

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...eloading-f258/

Be prepared for some hard work to understand the topic of sideloading and also be prepared for disappointment. Many Android apps do not work well on the PB once converted to a .bar file. I did a little research on the lexmark app offered for free in Google Play. It just might work and someone may just have converted it to the PB format (.bar file). But perhaps not - it only has a 1.8 star rating and doesn't always appear to work well even on an Android device. But I encourage you to ask nicely in that other forum and someone is sure to help you. Good luck!
    Show off PlayBook's magnetometer! Just point and see What's up.
    Visit What's up Sky Map on Facebook.
    CrackBerry Master

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzStarField View Post
    You could help yourself if you posted in the correct forum. This particular forum is dedicated to a general discussion of the BlackBerry PlayBook. The forum that you want is a sub-forum of the forum for discussing PB apps and games. Here is the URL:

http://forums.crackberry.com/android...eloading-f258/

You've already answered some pretty big questions: is it easy? - no. will it work? - don't know. is it worth it? well, I've spent days already and see on some threads, that what looks 'simple' and straightforward will have a post after a few thank you entries down that says 'a step is missing.'

Thanks for the help, I honestly did n't know that I was in the wrong place and the info seems to be stored everywhere.

Be prepared for some hard work to understand the topic of sideloading and also be prepared for disappointment. Many Android apps do not work well on the PB once converted to a .bar file. I did a little research on the lexmark app offered for free in Google Play. It just might work and someone may just have converted it to the PB format (.bar file). But perhaps not - it only has a 1.8 star rating and doesn't always appear to work well even on an Android device. But I encourage you to ask nicely in that other forum and someone is sure to help you. Good luck!