Hello all,

I am thinking about getting a BB tablet or another make but I am wondering if any of these cool devices can be plugged into a printer to print like a laptop can?

Let me know!
    11-06-12 10:40 AM
    IPads have built in direct wireless printing functionality, providing the printer supports AirPrint. This support is very common these days. Over 200 printer models are available from the usual suspects (canon, HP, Brother etc). I find it invaluable.

AirPrint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the current AirPrint printer list updated by Apple. As you can see, it is quite extensive:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

I have heard Android tablets can print directly to some Brother wireless printers, but I have no direct knowledge of this. Since the PlayBook can side load Android apps, you may be able to get it working on a PlayBook, but it sounds limited (Brother printers only), convoluted and kludgy to me.

I really enjoy just pressing 'print' on the iPad and hearing the printer fire up in the other room.
    It just works.
    Last edited by moloko velocet; 11-06-12 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Added updated AirPrint printer list.
    11-06-12 11:05 AM
    Nexus 7 --- USB OTG cable ---- USB printer

I expect the Surface Tablet ought to be able to do this.

However, wireless printing is where it's at, unless you want to use an old printer.
    11-06-12 11:15 AM
    At least Brother and Canon provide Android apps that'll allow wifi-printing to their printers. These apps must be sideloaded. The Canon one seems to be less efficient, rather oriented to photo printing. I don't have experience here but would definitely welcome a PB-ported file...
    Starting from there you should get to the andro apps.
    Please let us know if you succeed, and how!
    11-06-12 12:16 PM
    11-06-12 12:38 PM
    App in app world called Print My Files - claims to print over wifi to PC. However if you are at home you could transfer the file to be printed to your PC, either via wifi or usb, negating the need for an app! However if you are out and about and have a printer, or access to a printer not on an open network, as notafanboy suggests, OTG would be the solution. Hopefully this will be supported when the PlayBook gets OS10! I have a OTG cable and a micro SD card adapter ready and waiting
    Last edited by BigwhiteUK; 11-06-12 at 01:52 PM.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    11-06-12 12:43 PM
    I have a Service Tech come and do some work on my refrigerator (Toronto area). I couldn't believe my eyes. He took out his company supplied PlayBook and small bluetooth printer. He brought up the wiring diagram for the refrigerator. Entered all the technical data regarding the job, connected it to his BlackBerry phone, sent all the data to head office, then printed of the report for me along with the bill. No glitches. I was impressed.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    11-06-12 02:13 PM
    11-06-12 02:19 PM
    I use the Print app mentioned above, which was developed by Daniel Bigham and it is excellent. I use it for all my tablet printing. However, you do need PC access.
    11-06-12 02:28 PM
    The only tablet device I've ever seen actually plug into a printer was a windows 7 tablet with an actual use port. I suppose some android devices could probably do this, but the Playbook and iPad currently can't.
    11-06-12 03:05 PM
    Hello all,

I am thinking about getting a BB tablet or another make but I am wondering if any of these cool devices can be plugged into a printer to print like a laptop can?

Let me know!
    That's a really good question. I know that Asus TF300 Transformer tablet can accommodate USB peripherals, like wired or RF wireless mice, portable hard drives and various flash drives and flash card readers, when the keyboard dock is used. The keyboard dock has a full-size USB port. But I haven't tried a printer plugged into the port yet.
    11-06-12 03:15 PM
    I have a Service Tech come and do some work on my refrigerator (Toronto area). I couldn't believe my eyes. He took out his company supplied PlayBook and small bluetooth printer. He brought up the wiring diagram for the refrigerator. Entered all the technical data regarding the job, connected it to his BlackBerry phone, sent all the data to head office, then printed of the report for me along with the bill. No glitches. I was impressed.
    Do you remember the printer brand?
    Do you think the printing involved the phone, or was it a direct pairing with the PB?
    My current knowledge is, without a phone you only can print if you sideload an android app, and that these apps are brand-dependent. Indeed there may be one for the bluetooth printer that I don't know about!
    11-06-12 03:47 PM
    portable printers, bluetooth and wifi are quite expensive!!!! Ive just looked
    11-06-12 04:17 PM