i've recently bought blackberry playbook n yes d gadget is vry exciting to use... it has given me a wonderful experience.. bt its camera has dissapointed me..
    i was expecting much more with the 5 MP camera.. bt the images are not at all good.. they are grainy..
    are evry1 experiencing the same problem or its only me...???
    01-03-12 09:45 AM
    That may be a problem that will be addressed in the comming update. I have noticed that the pics are not quite as sharp as say, with my phone, but its not too bad.
    01-03-12 09:55 AM
    The playbook has a very decent 5MP camera, but one thing that I think affects the quality of the shots would be lighting. Since it doesn't have a built-in flash, you have to make sure that ambient lighting is sufficient.
    01-03-12 10:00 AM
    If they are grainy, it is probably from use in low light. This is just a trait of digital cameras, especially ones with very small ccd chips. How do the images taken in daylight look. Mine look fine for a 5mp fixed focus, small chip camera.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-03-12 10:01 AM
    actually, he playbook does take some very good shots... but it has to be in a setting with good lighting or else u will end up with photos of the quality u mentioned. take it outside with u though on a sunny day and see the great shots it takes
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-03-12 10:03 AM
    In proper lighting, the pics are fine. No mobile device will give you museum quality fotos, afterall, it's not a Nikon F2AS with a 35 mm f.1.4 Nikkor lens using ASA 25 Kodachrome.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-03-12 10:22 AM
    In proper lighting, the pics are fine. No mobile device will give you museum quality fotos, afterall, it's not a Nikon F2AS with a 35 mm f.1.4 Nikkor lens using ASA 25 Kodachrome.
    I think that there will be a Nikon app in OS2 that will provide all of those features. (just kidding).

As others have suggested, find appropriate lighting and the pictures will be fine.
    01-03-12 10:53 AM
    I am hoping OS2 gives me the ability to use interchangeable lenses (like my EF 70-200 F2.8L)
    01-03-12 11:24 AM
    It's all in the lighting... in poor light.. the pictures look like crap, in bright light they look great
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-03-12 11:28 AM
    Has anyone built an app that turns the screen to maximum brightness and shows bright white so that you can use the front facing camera and use the screen as a light? Not as good as a flash but would help in the dark!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-03-12 11:34 AM
    The app I'm waiting for, and who I wrote the developers about, with a response that they very well may make a version for the PB is Camera+.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-03-12 11:42 AM
    I am hoping OS2 gives me the ability to use interchangeable lenses (like my EF 70-200 F2.8L)
    That will be included in the Official Rim BT keyboard/mouse kit as an additional option.
    01-03-12 11:55 AM
    Has anyone built an app that turns the screen to maximum brightness and shows bright white so that you can use the front facing camera and use the screen as a light? Not as good as a flash but would help in the dark!
    The famous "Flashlight Free" app (https://appworld.blackberry.com/webs...=en&pmc=active) does this ...
    BTW this is a brilliant idea, I'll test this for nite shots.
    If positive, I'll recomand adding this in 'tips &tricks' sticky post !
    01-03-12 12:25 PM
    OK, I downloaded the flashlight app and get a white screen; I'm assuming this is for use with just the front facing camera, and not usefull for the rear camera or for video making....yes?
    01-03-12 12:42 PM
    OK, I downloaded the flashlight app and get a white screen; I'm assuming this is for use with just the front facing camera, and not usefull for the rear camera or for video making....yes?
    Basically, unless you have an elaborate mirror rig setup on your PB.
    anon1459534 likes this.
    01-03-12 12:46 PM
    yup, most of my indoor pics look.mediocre at best.

why does the playbook not have a flash?? seems like a no brainer...
    01-03-12 01:20 PM
    I don't think most tablets have a flash, I know the iPad doesn't, don't know why.

For the Flashlight free app to help in the dark it would need to be integrated into the camera app somewhat, as the camera app has to have focus when taking the pictures...so don't think it would work, but haven't seen it, maybe it does it while the camera is on?
    01-03-12 01:30 PM
    Well, I think the camera takes fabulous video, and I've seen some really nice pics other people have taken with theirs. Here are a few I took in my neighborhood one day recently:

[img]
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-03-12 02:23 PM
    You really have a talent for bringing out the best of urban life in your fotos bar...I've seen others before. Thanks
    01-03-12 02:30 PM
    If you are getting grainy images then it is as others have stated, the PB camera has an issue with poor lighting conditions that will hopefully addressed in an update.

In the meantime it does take pretty good photos with the proper lighting. Here is a link to a few photos I recently took with my PB in the early morning on a sunny day while out and about.

Zenfolio | Richard and Debbie's Gallery | Playbook Photos
    01-03-12 03:07 PM
    Yeah I hope it gets fixed. My SGS4G takes better pics in low light and even with incandescent light.
    justincase1911 likes this.
    01-03-12 03:32 PM
    There's nothing to fix; just be in proper light....it's not a Leica or a Hasselblad.
    01-03-12 03:36 PM
    ive found the camera to be far better than I was expecting..
    01-03-12 04:13 PM
    It depends on what you're looking for. It won't make vibrant cover-quality photos, but it does a pretty good job of capturing images, IMO

BTW, these were shrunk by my BB to email and then sent to PBucket, which tends to add more noise. Even with that, they are still pretty clear for low lighting.
    01-03-12 07:12 PM
    @TheScionicMan - I actually am impressed with those shots (for the PB), regardless of any conversion or added noise.
    01-03-12 07:18 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD