I have a BB Torch and will be picking up a 32GB Playbook within the next week or so. I have read many of the threads about bridging and OS updates... I was hoping that I could get some words of wisdom from some of you that have both the Torch and the PB.

Thanks!
    06-02-11 08:17 PM
    Loving the combo for me. Be patient with it and realize it's not one of the other tablets available and you will be good to go. Updates will come and it is good now, but will be better soon. No issues with me on my Bridge and I'm on Rogers.
    06-02-11 08:21 PM
    I have both a Torch and Playbook. I have no words of advice though...they have worked well together without much problem. Hope you have the same experience.
    06-02-11 08:22 PM
    Frosty,

I am an AT&T customer, you haven't had any issues tethering? I have read that many PB owners have problems bridging...

Thanks for the reply!
    06-02-11 08:22 PM
    I've got a 32gb PB and a Torch and its a great combo

The Bridge can be buggy at times, but for the most part its alright
    Bridge Browser can be slow at times

In regards to updates, they come whenever RIM pleases and the first few have brought some pretty good functionality (Video Chat, etc.)

Next ones should bring the Native PIM apps to PB and Android Player (both eventually), among other things, but no one knows when exactly - and when they do hit, this thing will rock even moreso than it already does
    06-02-11 08:23 PM
    I have a Torch and a Playbook on ATT. The bridge works just fine for everything except the browser, which is slow and just doesn't work well. You can tether with ATT and the browser works much better (when the Torch is on a good 3G signal) but you have to upgrade your ATT account to include tethering. It will cost you $10-$20 more per month for the service depending on what plan you currently have.
    (And the Playbook obviously works real well when on wi-fi.)
    06-02-11 08:33 PM
    Thanks all... And I promise I won't come here griping about updates!

About using the Torch as a wifi hotspot... you pretty much have to buy the tethering plan from AT&T for it to work? I don't foresee needing it, but if it's only $10 a month I might spring for it.

Any suggestions on apps and such for a newbie?
    06-02-11 08:47 PM
    Torch and PlayBook combo here. Works well. No real issues with bridge. BBM email etc.

Terthering is spot on. Now I've just got MusicMaster app i'm having trouble putting the PlayBook down.
    06-02-11 08:57 PM
    Thanks all... And I promise I won't come here griping about updates!

About using the Torch as a wifi hotspot... you pretty much have to buy the tethering plan from AT&T for it to work? I don't foresee needing it, but if it's only $10 a month I might spring for it.

Any suggestions on apps and such for a newbie?
    Wi-Fi has nothing to do with tethering. Your Playbook will work perfectly on wi-fi with no additional charge. But if you want to tether (using your Torch's connection) when there's no wi-fi available, you'll need to get that added to your ATT plan.
    06-02-11 08:58 PM
    I am also on At&t with the Torch i bought the PlayBook last Sunday and so far so good. There are things that annoy me but I hope they will get better. The bridge works well but the browser on At&t leave a lot to be desired. If you can get past that you will be good to go.
    06-02-11 09:00 PM
    Loving the combo for me. Be patient with it and realize it's not one of the other tablets available and you will be good to go. Updates will come and it is good now, but will be better soon. No issues with me on my Bridge and I'm on Rogers.
    Getting my PB this weekend Frosty....so if I call Rogers and ask them to upgrade my 500MB data plan to 1GB ($5 p/m?) on my Torch, I'll be good to go for tethering? Thx
    06-02-11 11:28 PM
    Getting my PB this weekend Frosty....so if I call Rogers and ask them to upgrade my 500MB data plan to 1GB ($5 p/m?) on my Torch, I'll be good to go for tethering? Thx
    Yes, if you have a 1 gig or higher data plan with Rogers you are good to go with tethering.
    06-02-11 11:52 PM
    Have the Torch and PB on Rogers. I haven't had issues bridging, including the bridged browser, perhaps it's mainly an issue on AT&T? Have any Rogers users found bridged browsing really slow like most at&t customers state?

Anyway, loving the PB and hopefully you will too. Best part is I'm finding that most places I go have wifi, so haven't really had to tether that much
    06-03-11 02:19 AM
    I come from a iphone 4 and a ipad 3G.... I bought my torch on may 17 then bought the playbook on may 28 and have to say it's a pretty nice combo... Im also with rogers and tethering is free with my 6gb plan... Without tethering that would be a different story... I have no problem with the bridge everything works fine... The bridge browser is working But didn't really check the speeds... I was sick and tired of ios ive been using it since the iphone 3G and needed a change.... Bb os 6 and qnx is great i have to say rim finally step up their game... I remember my bb 8900 (still have it) it was a nice device with a old a** software... Well no more!! :-) go for it!!
    06-03-11 07:04 AM
    the browser is very slow with ATT on bridge, have torch, email and bbm are fine. Recommend tethering with ATT. Wifi, of course, is fine.
    06-03-11 07:24 AM
    Yes, if you have a 1 gig or higher data plan with Rogers you are good to go with tethering.
    Thanks for that!
    06-03-11 10:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD